ReefCleaners.org

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Mike-

I'm having a hell of a time getting them to eat the Oto. Any suggestions?

How many days post hatch are they?

Typically I don't see my fry hitting the Oto A really well until 4 - 5 dph. I start with a very light sprinkle once on day two - couple of time on day 3 and then increase it on day's 4 and 5. Usually by that time I see a large number of them actively hitting the Oto on top and beneath the water.

I would suggest keeping your rots count up for at least a few days after you see them hitting the Oto well. And keep overlapping the feeds until you get them onto regular foods. This gives them time to adjust between the feeds and ensures they keep getting the nutrition they need to sustain.

hooligan_78

They are 8 DPH. I've been sprinkling some A and B1 as the 2 remaining survivors are past meta. I've been adding rots still and tinting a bit just to make sure they're getting the nutrition they need.

They are 8 DPH. I've been sprinkling some A and B1 as the 2 remaining survivors are past meta. I've been adding rots still and tinting a bit just to make sure they're getting the nutrition they need.

At this stage they are probably large enough to start feeding just the B1 - if you look at the size of B1 at Reeds I believe the grains start at the same size as A. I'd just sprinkle a tiny amount near them keep in mind you may not see them hitting the Oto at the top of the water and they may be hitting it as it sinks.

whats oto and dph again i forgot

Oto is short for Otohime - which you can purchase from Reed Mariculture

dph is Days Post Hatch.

If any of you So CA peeps are interested in a pair of my Snows my Central Valley Reef club is going to have a booth this year at Max and I'm donating a pair for them to sell.

I knew I'd get my fish to one of these shows one way or another! lol

I don't know if they would make them a raffle item or if they will be listed for sale. I just supplied them to the club to help them raise some cash.

smitty_1280
I don't know if they would make them a raffle item or if they will be listed for sale. I just supplied them to the club to help them raise some cash.

That is really nice of you. Nothing like free publicity as well of course.

Awesome I will be there :) would love to see a pair of your fish in person!

I'm just waiting for you to get some of your fish going so we can do a swap!

looking good, very nice setup.. i just finished my setup as well, very excited been a long time setting it up,plumbing, drilling holes lining up stuff etc... but i water tested it yesterday and its good to go...now my army of clowns are going in it to get going all over again, im completly out of babies and have a list waiting.... good luck pickle and keep the updates coming!!

I haven't posted much as I've slowed down my hatching while I'm building out my growout. I've got most of my framing done and I'm drywalling the exterior of it now. Soon as I get that done I can get to work on the electrical and insulation.

I figure it's a good time to move some pairs since I know they will need time to re-adust to the new tank and I'm busy with the build out anyhow. I never intended to raise any fry in that set up but I have a couple of extra compartments and the grow out system I have now is making me crazy!!!

I haven't posted much as I've slowed down my hatching while I'm building out my growout. I've got most of my framing done and I'm drywalling the exterior of it now. Soon as I get that done I can get to work on the electrical and insulation.

I figure it's a good time to move some pairs since I know they will need time to re-adust to the new tank and I'm busy with the build out anyhow. I never intended to raise any fry in that set up but I have a couple of extra compartments and the grow out system I have now is making me crazy!!!

awsome, hopefully you get some breeding going fast, ive got some different breeders now and i can't wait till they breed.. the all black snowflake project is coming along nicely and hopefully here soon we can get a few, i know ora has some but havent seen any forsale lately... how are the black ice coming along?

awsome, hopefully you get some breeding going fast, ive got some different breeders now and i can't wait till they breed.. the all black snowflake project is coming along nicely and hopefully here soon we can get a few, i know ora has some but havent seen any forsale lately... how are the black ice coming along?

The blackice are rolling out like clock work - I can't keep up with them. I pull my pot 3 days early and typically my pair spawns again on the same day as the hatch. So basically I'm getting a spawn every 7 days. It's insane. I'm hatching them out in groups of 3 - Basically 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. That's why I need this grow out. I can't even collect my percs or even my B&W's. I always pull the pot on day 4 if I'm going to hatch or not just to keep the pair in the cycle.

altolamprologus
The blackice are rolling out like clock work - I can't keep up with them. I pull my pot 3 days early and typically my pair spawns again on the same day as the hatch. So basically I'm getting a spawn every 7 days. It's insane. I'm hatching them out in groups of 3 - Basically 3 weeks on and 3 weeks off. That's why I need this grow out. I can't even collect my percs or even my B&W's. I always pull the pot on day 4 if I'm going to hatch or not just to keep the pair in the cycle.

Wow that's insane. Better hurry up with that grow out system!!

Wow that's insane. Better hurry up with that grow out system!!

You're telling me... I didn't think it was possible. But I guess after pulling the pot so early for so long just sped the process up for the female.

You're telling me... I didn't think it was possible. But I guess after pulling the pot so early for so long just sped the process up for the female.

thats crazy, i never had luck pulling pots always had to wait till day 8 or 9.. i very well understand what you mean by you cant keep up with them as i went through the same thing with all my black ice.lots of people wanting them, but no room to keep all the fry. my female darwin passed so i had to start all over again. this time im using my own broodstock with some amazing jumbo darwins.. just playing the wait game and see how it goes from there..got some interesting broodstock coming soon as well see how well they do for me as well... any recent pics of your black ice producing parents???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to this weekend - I've got my framing done - and I'm starting on my sheet rocking for my new grow out room. It's slow going but I don't have any plans this weekend, I hope I can get most of the sheet rock done. It's kind of coll cause it's starting to look like something!

I'm looking forward to this weekend - I've got my framing done - and I'm starting on my sheet rocking for my new grow out room. It's slow going but I don't have any plans this weekend, I hope I can get most of the sheet rock done. It's kind of cool because it's starting to look like something!

Edited by Pickle010