Coral Vue Hydros

Vic's Vivarium Project

Withers

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
acedeuce4life
Anyways, aren't those dart frogs poisonous? Like if it touches your skin you die instantly poisonous?

PDFs do not naturally produce toxins. They are ingested from their native food sources, usually ants. So in captivity their toxicity is minimal at most, nil if captive-bred, definitely not lethal. They are fed mostly fruit flies and other readily cultivated meal insects in most home vivariums.

On a side note though, handling most amphibians with bare skin is a no-no, as they breathe through their skin and our natural oils and whatnot don't help that process out too well

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I culture fruit flies to feed them. It's very low cost and easy to maintain. I make my own media and the new cultures are created directly from old ones. It's a good idea to introduce a fresh culture from a supplier about once a year just to be safe :)

For reference, I make one culture for this tank and it lasts the 3 frogs approximately 3-4 weeks. I always make backup cultures as well in case one for whatever reason doesn't work out. In my display tank upstairs I make 2 cultures to handle the 3 frogs up there (plus a backup), mostly because there's so much more space so they need to hunt more for flies. A lot of people would probably say that isn't enough food, but I'm constantly throwing wasting tons of flies even as is. I figure if my frogs are fat, they must be happy.

I'd say on the whole I spend about $2 a month in materials to feed the frogs. Most of that cost is in the cups I use to house the flies.

I also actively breed springtails in both tanks, and have a self-sustaining culture in each. In my display tank I've got literally millions of them in the substrate. It's mind boggling how many there are. The frogs are absurdly overweight from eating them, but they aren't nutritious enough to be a primary source of food. You can also breed isopods that the frogs will eat.

• 3 months later...

Approximately 1 year of growth

5611711674_253937efa9.jpg7212408238_cde3601a06.jpg

I haven't found any eggs in this tank yet, but I'm 90% sure they're doing the nasty. I see all 3 frogs out every single day, and they're constantly hanging out in or around the film canisters.

I think I'm going to look into converting this tank to LED lighting.

I see you have a MINI in your avatar, you should hop over to www.motoringunderground.com sometime. It's primarily a Mini community :) Well, that's what we started as at least.

I see you have a MINI in your avatar, you should hop over to www.motoringunderground.com sometime. It's primarily a Mini community :) Well, that's what we started as at least.

im on mu already :) username on there is 21093jcwr53 i think. dont really frequent that forum though just not enough time and i sold my bbs and coils (cant rep anymore) because im looking for an r56 jcw at the moment...

Yeah Energy's setup is insane. For a while people were #####ing about him having different species of frogs in there, but the thing is like 800 gallons.

Archived