Pod Your Reef

ORA Stubby False Percula Clownfish?

fmfa0801

ORA Stubby False Percula Clownfish???? Has anyone ever heard or have these?

What Are Stubbies?

"Occasionally we will discover dwarf fish in the production tanks. We call them "Stubbies." These perfectly healthy but admittedly deformed fish usually don't reach full size. Many people consider them as defective but some people (including certain sales staff members) absolutely adore them. It is thought that these fish are born lacking the usual number of vertebrate in the spine, giving them a short body. Limited quantities are usually available."

http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish_species.html

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ORA Stubby False Percula Clownfish???? Has anyone ever heard or have these?

What Are Stubbies?

"Occasionally we will discover dwarf fish in the production tanks. We call them "Stubbies." These perfectly healthy but admittedly deformed fish usually don't reach full size. Many people consider them as defective but some people (including certain sales staff members) absolutely adore them. It is thought that these fish are born lacking the usual number of vertebrate in the spine, giving them a short body. Limited quantities are usually available."

http://www.orafarm.com/clownfish_species.html

It's missing a vertebrae. It is a shorter fish. I've only seen one.

• 1 year later...

I saw one at my LFS and even thou it wasn't for sale the guy told me it would go for $80 or so, what do you think?

1d5737b4.jpg

7e0b1afe.jpg

583379de.jpg

i love it looks like a balloon molly.

i saw that vid and yeah they are ok, but this one was black and misbarred as well and very short. what you think about the price?

its ora's way of passing off undesirable fish that should have been culled. more proof that breeding for greed is the wrong reason.

its ora's way of passing off undesirable fish that should have been culled. more proof that breeding for greed is the wrong reason.

Would you care to articulate more, idk the reasons ORA had to keep them instead of culling but I don't see a reason to destroy them. I understand the concept of culling but look at this, they wouldn't have achieved this fish have they culled them.

Why would anyone want to achieve a fish that is admittedly deformed. If you're going to keep it as a pet and not breed them then to each their own. I personally don't find deformed fish desirable but that's just my opinion.

I would say not all deformities are desirable but, this one in particular it's pretty and interesting. The reason they don't cull it’s because people have express their likeliness. Lot’s of fish (freshwater mostly) are "man made" selected for their deformities and special (abnormal characteristics) to be passed to future generations. Remember God didn’t created the goldfish, man did same with balloon mollies and others.

Why would anyone want to achieve a fish that is admittedly deformed. If you're going to keep it as a pet and not breed them then to each their own. I personally don't find deformed fish desirable but that's just my opinion.

That's the way a lot of dog breeds and many fancy gold fish came to be.

That's the way a lot of dog breeds and many fancy gold fish came to be.

I disagree with this statement because, for the most part, dogs where not bred simply for their deformities. They were bred for a specific trait and used that trait to their advantage. I just don't see an advantage to a "stubby" fish so that comparison is not valid in my opinion.

I would say not all deformities are desirable but, this one in particular it's pretty and interesting. The reason they don't cull it’s because people have express their likeliness. Lot’s of fish (freshwater mostly) are "man made" selected for their deformities and special (abnormal characteristics) to be passed to future generations. Remember God didn’t created the goldfish, man did same with balloon mollies and others.

Interesting yes, pretty not so much. I understand from a business point of view why they are selling them. Is it ok to breed deformed fish simply because they are just fish? Now I wouldn't have such a strong opinion against it if this "trait" was purposeful or useful. Again like I said before, to each their own. If you buy them you buy them but I don't think they should be bred to create more.

Who really cares. Its all personal preference. It is a fish,and if your not eating them then the only purpose they have is too look at them(unless your breeding) If you think hes cool,then I would get him. Something is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. My LFS had some stubbies and they were 50 bucks. My mom pays hundreds for elvis crap that I wouldnt pay 50 cents for. Good luck

What is the functionality of a tea cup Yorkie or for that matter a mule? Even further what is the advantage of any saltwater fish (except those for food) the stubby just like the most expensive tang or wrasse for hubby purposes, are solely ornamental. You don't like it? Fair enough

So who knows what are they going for elsewhere?

What is the functionality of a tea cup Yorkie or for that matter a mule? Even further what is the advantage of any saltwater fish (except those for food) the stubby just like the most expensive tang or wrasse for hubby purposes, are solely ornamental. You don't like it? Fair enough

So who knows what are they going for elsewhere?

Ok for one a tea cup yorkie is not deformed. Most dog breeds where bred for some specific tasks whether it be hunting, pulling, etc. When I said advantage, I meant what advantage is it to be stubby over the normal clown, none. Fish are not here just for hobby purpose or to be ornamental, that's merely what we use them for besides food of course. You're probably the same type of person that buys the dyed fish at the LFS because they look interesting and pretty lol. Again buy it if you want.

FYLM for hubby purposes mean in the context of the sentence, related to the hobby and not to be confused with all other types of fish husbandry. What other purpose other than ornamental (including breeding) does a fish have? Some of the obvious reasons might be:

To eat algae (not a valid reason tangs (blennies are ok) are not an option even if you have kept one on your little 28 gal.)

To host an anemone (not a valid reason it's just like the chicken and the egg)

To control a pest (might be a valid reason but what do you do after the pest is under control? let it starve)

To fill the tank with pretty animals that makes your tank stand apart. (Best answer)

Would you care to enlighten me on what other purposes the ornamental fishes have.

FYLM for hubby purposes mean in the context of the sentence, related to the hobby and not to be confused with all other types of fish husbandry. What other purpose other than ornamental (including breeding) does a fish have? Some of the obvious reasons might be:

To eat algae (not a valid reason tangs (blennies are ok) are not an option even if you have kept one on your little 28 gal.)

To host an anemone (not a valid reason it's just like the chicken and the egg)

To control a pest (might be a valid reason but what do you do after the pest is under control? let it starve)

To fill the tank with pretty animals that makes your tank stand apart. (Best answer)

Would you care to enlighten me on what other purposes the ornamental fishes have.

Wow you're totally not getting what I mean by what I said. Fish are not here to be ornamental, we use them for that purpose. When I use the word purpose I mean in the wild and not in our ornamental bubble. You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Yes, in our hobby, they are ornamental and that's why I said if you like the "stubby" then that's what you like. I just don't think it's right to breed a deformed fish is all. Breeding for color in clowns or any fish is different than breeding for deformities.

There are plenty of dog breeds that exist for no purpose other than their appeal to us and as a result the dogs have poor genetics with a range of associated health problems. Just look at the King Charles Spaniel. The breed was created purely for looks. Because of the small number of founding dogs and their health, it suffers from so many diseases that half of its Wikipedia entry is dedicated to them. Does that mean people shouldn't be allowed to breed, sell, and mix these dogs? IMO, no.

I'm not claiming stubby clownfishes are perfectly healthy, but for all we know right now they may be better off than a lot of dogs. If anything, an obvious physical deformity like this is a lot better for the captive broodstock than some genetic disorder of an internal organ that is undetectable in juvenile fish.

Finally, there's really no comparison between fish that are forced to undergo a dangerous dyeing process to those that have been selectively bred or suffer from defect that doesn't significantly impact their health. No one is suggesting releasing these into the wild. Plenty of us have congenital or genetic diseases that pollute the population, but you don't see too many people promoting killing people that need glasses.

Wow you're totally not getting what I mean by what I said. Fish are not here to be ornamental, we use them for that purpose. When I use the word purpose I mean in the wild and not in our ornamental bubble. You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. Yes, in our hobby, they are ornamental and that's why I said if you like the "stubby" then that's what you like. I just don't think it's right to breed a deformed fish is all. Breeding for color in clowns or any fish is different than breeding for deformities.

I guess you're one of those who got disappointed on Saturday when they were left behind. We're on Nano-Reef not on Ocean.net

Sure you're right because breeding a chicken with twice the size on their breast it’s not deformed.

Rabidgerbil38
Ok for one a tea cup yorkie is not deformed. Most dog breeds where bred for some specific tasks whether it be hunting, pulling, etc. When I said advantage, I meant what advantage is it to be stubby over the normal clown, none. Fish are not here just for hobby purpose or to be ornamental, that's merely what we use them for besides food of course. You're probably the same type of person that buys the dyed fish at the LFS because they look interesting and pretty lol. Again buy it if you want.

Perception decides whether or not an animal is deformed. If one only saw "stubby" clowns their entire life they would believe all others to be deformed. Also how do you know there is no advantage to being a "stubby" clown? It would seem it could be a great advantage if say the clown were hiding from a larger predator and only had a small hole to fit in. The fact of the matter is these fish we keep in our tanks serve no purpose other than to facilitate our enjoyment of their beauty, whether it be natural or mutagenic. Just because something is deformed does not mean it is less desirable (see the million and one types of clown markings), value is placed by those who have interest in these animals and the number available.

As for dogs, the pug is a great example of a dog bred to sit on someones lap(otherwise known as ornamental). Sure there are a lot of breeds of dogs meant to work, but not all of them.

Lol looks like this could go on forever. Like I stated many times, if you like it great if not great. I still think breeding to produce a deformed fish is wrong but I guess others like it. As for the "stubby" hiding in small holes to not be eaten is a rather funny statement since he probably won't swim fast enough to get away but who knows maybe in the future all clowns will be "stubby" to avoid predators. Color variations are not considered deformities since the clown is still the same physically as the other normal color variation.

I guess you're one of those who got disappointed on Saturday when they were left behind. We're on Nano-Reef not on Ocean.net

Sure you're right because breeding a chicken with twice the size on their breast it’s not deformed.

Funny but isn't the whole point of reef keeping to bring the reef indoors and I don't see "stubby" clowns swimming out in the ocean. Doesn't really matter what the website is called. Actually a chicken with twice the size on their breast is not deformed, it is just a larger chicken, still has two breasts lol.

I've seen a lot of these stubbies at the lfs...they have a few pairs as the store pets and then sell babyies every once in a while...They are perfectly healthy and legit lookin little fish! When I set up my new tank I'm definitely getting some stubbies...

So having oversized breast which makes the bird Unable to walk properly is not a deformity. Anyways I think it's a personal choice and I don't think they breed the fish to be stuby even ORA doesnt advertise them but they save them from been otherwise culled. They'll never make it to the ocean and even if they do they will most likely not survive. It's ok to not like the stubies but if you are against the whole concept of breeding based on selecting abnormal traits you shouldn't be on this hobby. This concept exist on almost all domesticated livestock and pets. Thank you you've been very entertaing.

Archived