ReefCleaners.org

20 Long tank thread

latteslave

Question for you fellow 20L peeps: any of you guys put a screen or a top on your tank? I don't have a canopy, I have my lights suspended and I am currently running an open top, but I am scared my fish will jump out.

I was thinking maybe building something out of window screen, or cutting some acrylic and building a hinge. Thoughts?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive got eggcrate over my tank. I had a screen top but with all the HOB cutouts I had it was really ugly. cut acrylic sounds nice but im happy with the eggcrate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Me :)

Blast from the past LOL.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-08%20at%2011.34.

Ty for reminding me I'd been here before. I really have a poor memory!!! And I loved this thread.

Now mine. I love our tanks. So much diversity. There's just nothing you can't do in a 20g, except for larger fish.

20151016_200503_zpsakygresp.jpg

Ty for reminding me I'd been here before. I really have a poor memory!!! And I loved this thread.

Now mine. I love our tanks. So much diversity. There's just nothing you can't do in a 20g, except for larger fish.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that curlicue anemone!!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that curlicue anemone!!!!!

Yeah, I actually think it's the focal point of this tank now. And I have 2 more babies in my 34g, but I can't find my fragging kit. Don't know how I could lose it. I only keep it in the living room kitchen. It might be in the tv stand. I'll have to check so I can remove those babies and put them in Gertie's tank.

Yeah, I actually think it's the focal point of this tank now. And I have 2 more babies in my 34g, but I can't find my fragging kit. Don't know how I could lose it. I only keep it in the living room kitchen. It might be in the tv stand. I'll have to check so I can remove those babies and put them in Gertie's tank.

If I had the space for one, I'd get one. My brother has a giant one in his tank too :).

• 9 months later...

I'm in the process of building (sort of a) 20 gallon long tank. It will be a glass rimless custom made tank with the following dimensions: 28" long x 13" tall x 13" wide. Will use black silicone. The glass is being polished right now. Hopefully the glass tank will be ready in a week or a little more.

The tank will be placed next to my existing Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 tank, which at the end of all this will be converted into a frag tank.

Planned Equipment (and other stuff):

• Light: Nanobox Duo 4 channel with Bluefish controller and Apex ready
  • Return pump: Jebao DCS-3000 DC pump. Maybe too large for this tank, but DC pump can be run at its lowest setting if have to.
  • Sump: 10 gallon tank converted into sump with glass baffles and 4" sock holder
  • Overflow: Eshopps Eclipse S overflow box (Herbie)
  • Chiller: ChillSolutions CSXC-1 Nano Chiller (hopefully will be enough, I just need temp to go down a couple of C).
  • Return: The return from the DC pump will be spit in two 3/4" lines. One will pass thru the nano chiller. Both will then be reduced into dual loclines for a total of 4 1/2" locline nozzles.
  • Additional Circulation: For now just a single Jebao RW-4 pump with JBWave controller.
  • Sand: Red Sea Ocean White Aragonite
  • Rock: I will collect my own "semi-dry" rock at a local island (benefit of living in the caribbean). I live in Panama. I prefer to grab rock that has been washed out of the water for some time to avoid unwanted hitchickers like mantis shrimp that I have had in the past.
  • CUC: Will also collect brittlestars, blue legged hermits and snails.
  • Fish: Will move my fish from IM 10: Percula Clown, YWG, Firefish Goby. Also move a Red Blood Shrimp.
  • Future: Considering a Neptune Apex.

Feedback appreciated. Any thoughts?

Am I the only one seeing a skull in there? :P

Yep, there's a skull. It's made of that stone they cut, shape into animals & stuff. It became covered w/ coraline & it just turned out so cool. Perfect for Gertie's tank, originally it was light green & cream.

Yep, there's a skull. It's made of that stone they cut, shape into animals & stuff. It became covered w/ coraline & it just turned out so cool. Perfect for Gertie's tank, originally it was light green & cream.

Cool! So unique...

I'm in the process of building (sort of a) 20 gallon long tank. It will be a glass rimless custom made tank with the following dimensions: 28" long x 13" tall x 13" wide. Will use black silicone. The glass is being polished right now. Hopefully the glass tank will be ready in a week or a little more.

The tank will be placed next to my existing Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 tank, which at the end of all this will be converted into a frag tank.

• Return pump: Jebao DCS-3000 DC pump. Maybe too large for this tank, but DC pump can be run at its lowest setting if have to.
  • Sump: 10 gallon tank converted into sump with glass baffles and 4" sock holder
  • Chiller: ChillSolutions CSXC-1 Nano Chiller (hopefully will be enough, I just need temp to go down a couple of C).
  • Return: The return from the DC pump will be spit in two 3/4" lines. One will pass thru the nano chiller. Both will then be reduced into dual loclines for a total of 4 1/2" locline nozzles.
  • Additional Circulation: For now just a single Jebao RW-4 pump with JBWave controller.
  • Rock: I will collect my own "semi-dry" rock at a local island (benefit of living in the caribbean). I live in Panama. I prefer to grab rock that has been washed out of the water for some time to avoid unwanted hitchickers like mantis shrimp that I have had in the past.
  • Fish: Will move my fish from IM 10: Percula Clown, YWG, Firefish Goby. Also move a Red Blood Shrimp.

Sounds great! Jealous of where you live :).
  • 4 weeks later...

My new 20 long is cycling. I'm using Red Sea Reef Mature and already 2 days away from "ready to introduce CUC". The Jecod/Jebao DCS-3000 DC return pump is working very well, have it at the second lowest setting. Also love the Nanobox Duo. The CSXC-1 chiller seems to be working fine on average days, but had some challenge a couple of very hot days (fan blowing very hard, unit getting very hot). The Eshopps Eclipse S overflow is also working very good. The black background is adhesive vinyl, also worked very nice.

Here are some pics of the tank. The empty space on the right is reserved for the rock with coral that I will eventually move from my IM 10 tank, which at the end will become a frag tank. The IM 10 tank itself will also be moved to the same furniture, to the right of the 20 long.

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

My new 20 long is cycling. I'm using Red Sea Reef Mature and already 2 days away from "ready to introduce CUC". The Jecod/Jebao DCS-3000 DC return pump is working very well, have it at the second lowest setting. Also love the Nanobox Duo. The CSXC-1 chiller seems to be working fine on average days, but had some challenge a couple of very hot days (fan blowing very hard, unit getting very hot). The Eshopps Eclipse S overflow is also working very good. The black background is adhesive vinyl, also worked very nice.

Here are some pics of the tank. The empty space on the right is reserved for the rock with coral that I will eventually move from my IM 10 tank, which at the end will become a frag tank. The IM 10 tank itself will also be moved to the same furniture, to the right of the 20 long.

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

My new tank cycle is progressing better than expected. I can confirm that the Red Sea Reef Mature kit works. I'm on day 14 of the program and the levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are very good (0, 0.2 and below 5) last time I checked a couple of days ago. I had a brown algae outbreak that last a couple of days. Introduced a margarita snail and a blue leg hermit from my IM 10 tank and I there is almost no brown algae left. So I can say that the Reef Mature product is quite impressive.

Archived