inTank Media Baskets

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

Hey Newman, remember this frag you sold me ?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=299484

Newman, I'm just not meant to have green Birdsnest. :( The new frag is not doing well. Pocillopora is fine, growing, my other SPS are fine, growing. I have a little pink birdsnest which seems to be fine. Wha could be the deal with the green bird?

sniff.

Mine didn't last either :(. It seemed to brown out and die off real quick.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

blast, what's with BN not making it recently?

let me know what you want me to do. I can try to send out a replacement for $7.00 shipped?

blast, what's with BN not making it recently?

let me know what you want me to do. I can try to send out a replacement for $7.00 shipped?

I can give it another shot if you want. The tank is a bit more established now. Everything else seems to be growing fine. I can send you the 7 today if you want. Just shoot me a pm.

Jacob042426

One of my lfs has a clam that looks like yours for $40! It looks very healthy, but I'm going away to camp for the summer, so I'm scared it will die when I'm away. :(

i dont have any good plan for the tank. its essentially complete, and only needs to grow in more. i am talking about the millepora at the top...

i have considered selling everything in the tank and taking it down because i am moving and am in need to money...but idk. I have put a lot of care and work into this pico and it has become a part of me. its tough to start selling everything =/

Jacob, the clam only needs good light and relatively stable water conditions. meaning good levels of calcium, stable salinity, etc. i wouldn't recommend one for a new tank though.

pico-reefer
i dont have any good plan for the tank. its essentially complete, and only needs to grow in more. i am talking about the millepora at the top...

i have considered selling everything in the tank and taking it down because i am moving and am in need to money...but idk. I have put a lot of care and work into this pico and it has become a part of me. its tough to start selling everything =/

Jacob, the clam only needs good light and relatively stable water conditions. meaning good levels of calcium, stable salinity, etc. i wouldn't recommend one for a new tank though.

if you ever sell it, let me know. ill take everything. im in Nj also. :happy:

haha, idk if i ever will get that desperate to sell it ;)

But if i do, then i'm not sure any one person can afford to buy everything in the pico. I value every animal in this pico, and all of them total would likely be somewhere around $2,000 maybe a little less. I know it sounds ridiculous, but there really is that much life in here. there are way over 2,000 polyps of zoas alone haha.

If I were you, I wouldn't sell either. There aren't a lot of long term picos around. I'd see how long you can keep yours going. :)

that's no good....I'll give you a bigger piece next time. it should do better.

Could it be that the green variety is slower to adapt to different lights? IDK. Most people say it grows like a weed but I have not had that kind of luck with any birds nest let alone the green kind.

Very strange because the other SPS are doing fine, the pocillipora from you, I've got lots of montiporas danae and caps too.

lost my emerald crab today for no apparent reason :(

found him stuck to the HOB intake...blast it, he was a really nice crab. idk what to do now. maybe i'll leave it w/o an emerald and see if algae becomes an issue. i hope not. but the crab really was vital to keeping it off my scape.

chippwalters
lost my emerald crab today for no apparent reason :(

found him stuck to the HOB intake...blast it, he was a really nice crab. idk what to do now. maybe i'll leave it w/o an emerald and see if algae becomes an issue. i hope not. but the crab really was vital to keeping it off my scape.

Bummer. I recently switched my Pico over to a Nano and during the process my Pom Pom lost one of his anemones— and the other one is very brown— probably dying. I've enjoyed your tank and it's inspiring to see such a small tank do so well with such a small amount of water. Nice job!

The pico has moved today to its new home. it was a 40min drive, and idk how well everything did. only time will tell if there are any losses. all the corals look very upset, but its all over, and the tank is now sitting in my room (at the new place where i will now be living).

For those people who have picked up coral from me in person, It's possible that I am now slightly closer to you than before - meaning any future coral sales should be faster. I forget where people live, but I'm sure that at least one person lived in NYC (metrokat).

The pico now resides in West Orange.

The pico has moved today to its new home. it was a 40min drive, and idk how well everything did. only time will tell if there are any losses. all the corals look very upset, but its all over, and the tank is now sitting in my room (at the new place where i will now be living).

For those people who have picked up coral from me in person, It's possible that I am now slightly closer to you than before - meaning any future coral sales should be faster. I forget where people live, but I'm sure that at least one person lived in NYC (metrokat).

The pico now resides in West Orange.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Newman. Hope the corals recover alright. They do sulk, don't they? Temperamental little beasties.

L

yes dust does settle on the surface and can create a film. the film is mostly present though after a weekly feeding. the excess waste and proteins create a film at the top that doesnt really go away until i do a water change the day after. that helps break up the film once a week.

How is your clam doing since the move? My derasa was pretty pissed off when I moved for about 2-3 days after. Hopefully all of your stuff is going to be fine. I didnt have any losses when I moved but I was also 10 minutes away not 40.

clam's doing great! corals are doing well too. However i do think I may have to take down the pico soon.

If anyone who lives close to me would like something from my tank, please contact me by text or call 201-995-3407

I am going to sell the animals first and then the equipment.

Be aware that prices will not be as cheap as my frags, since these are serious colonies we are talking about, but i am negotiable, so just give me an offer.

You can try to buy anything from my pico that you like- yes, even the GSP powerhead.

I am going to do shipping only for small frags if any are left, and then for the equipment too. I cannot ship the colonies though as they are too big.

Please help me out guys, I would like to give these animals a great new home :)

I'm actually upset by this news. :(

I looked up to this tank. It's the end of an era.

If you do have frags, let me know. Other than the acan that died in the mail, everything of yours is thriving. If you have anything that screams llj... I'd love to have a part of this tank. I enjoy having frags from other hobbyists. Like a little piece of them are in my tanks & vis versa. I just shipped my first set of corals to a friend & that made me feel great.

I'm gutted, Newman. :( Yet, I understand.

Lissette

i really do not want to take it down, and i want to keep it alive for as long as i can. I believe that this tank could be around for many more years. But there are some lame reasons for why it would be best to take it down.

I will likely setup another pico reef in the future when i am permanently settled somewhere and am financially established with a real career. I am still as student at this point.

I hope somebody who lives close to me can buy a few of the animals - especially the colonies since they are a drag to ship.

I am wary of shipping another LPS, picodope. my acan didn't do well when i shipped it, so i do not want my blasto die because of that. it would be best if corals like that were picked up.

Newman, I just shipped acans & a favia to a friend. They arrived in stunning shape. You just have to use FedEx overnight. It's pricey, but for a mature colony, people will pay. Just saying.

Yes, Those are lamo reasons. :P

Genuinely gutted to hear this news! I've been a nano reefer for about 6 years and about to venture into the world of picos and this tank has given me inspiration and a real excitement in general about the pico side of reefing. A real credit to you

Archived