SaltCritters.com

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Builder Anthony

newman im suprised you dont start another tank.i mean i dont know how you refrain from buying corals or trades.i guess the best thing about your tank is that its actualy relaxing.which is something i truely miss.

I'm past the phase of wanting to start other reef tanks right now. plus room, time and money doesnt really allow for me to invest in another reef tank. I have lots of ideas - believe me lol. I'm storing those for the future though. Just going to run this one reef for now while my life is very busy.

I still sell my corals though, and sometimes look for ones i want to add. last addition were the blue zoas from pj68. next I'll probably add a blasto merletti if metrokat brings one in on friday. I sold the acan to make some room.

thanks!

as long as my upcoming move goes smoothly, this tank should have at least another good year of life. El Fab's lived to be 3 years old and some change. i don't see why mine can't last just as long. I employ some of his maintenance techniques for this pico.

I am sure it can go for longer than that. As long as husbandry has been good and your sand bed isn't loaded with phosphates, it should reach far beyond 3 years.

i found my spare fuge lamps. turns out i didnt throw them out like a fool. so the fuge is back in working order.

i havent touched my sand bed since the start, so idk about it being exactly clean of phosphates and other waste :slap:

and thanks metrokat, I will see you tomorrow.

i found my spare fuge lamps. turns out i didnt throw them out like a fool. so the fuge is back in working order.

i havent touched my sand bed since the start, so idk about it being exactly clean of phosphates and other waste :slap:

and thanks metrokat, I will see you tomorrow.

Your sand bed isn't that deep, so you might be ok.

Newman, was very nice to meet you today. Your PICO is contest caliber and I'm so glad to have had a chance to see it in person. if your crab ends up missing, he's in my pico, his bags were packed, he needed a vacation. :P

Thanks for my frags, hope I can care for them better than the bird I got from you before. And I'm going to try to fix my ATO, I have 2 pumps for heavens sake, it should work.

Enjoy the blasto, post a picture when it is in the tank.

Thanks for visiting Kat, and for the great blasto frag. it opened right away when it hit my tank. looks very good - a scaled down replica of my B. welsi.

When i find my camera i will take a picture.

Haha, crab stays with me, he is a favorite.

@pico-reefer:

Yes i do dose. I dose C Balance, about half a capful of each part, 15 mins apart. I dose just about every other day, 3 times a week. I also add tiny amounts(few drops) of Kent Magnesium and Seachem Reef Plus once a week.

I change out roughly 2 gallons of water once a week. the day after i feed the tank heavily with filter feeder foods.

I have used both Instant Ocean salt and the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt. tank preforms well on either salt mix.

pico-reefer
Thanks for visiting Kat, and for the great blasto frag. it opened right away when it hit my tank. looks very good - a scaled down replica of my B. welsi.

When i find my camera i will take a picture.

Haha, crab stays with me, he is a favorite.

@pico-reefer:

Yes i do dose. I dose C Balance, about half a capful of each part, 15 mins apart. I dose just about every other day, 3 times a week. I also add tiny amounts(few drops) of Kent Magnesium and Seachem Reef Plus once a week.

I change out roughly 2 gallons of water once a week. the day after i feed the tank heavily with filter feeder foods.

I have used both Instant Ocean salt and the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt. tank preforms well on either salt mix.

Ah, im suprised you need to dose being you change 2 gallons a week, i see your in jersey, what LFS do you use?

thanks cintax :)

I do not normally use LFS for coral things, but when I do, I either go to Fishtown USA or a local pet goods for my salt mix

I mostly do my business online.

i noticed that there are bits of pocillopora sprouting all around my tank. one in my fuge, one on the powerhead cable, others on some rock.

It looks like it reproduced asexually(unless it can self-fertilize) and some of the larvae settled around my tank. This looks similar to what happened with pj86's sun coral. His produced a lot more polyps though.

So far i have spotted roughly 3-4 spots where that coral has begun to grow. Growth started like this - with some stoney circular growth and a polyp in the center

P.damicornis-prim.pol_D.Bar.gif

Then polyps started to grow radially out , with one polyp in the center and a ring of polyps on the outer edge of the skeleton.

I find that these new coral growths grow very slowly. They also settled in dim areas of the tank, so that's likely not helping either. but they should be ok - there is some light for them.

Newman that's very cool about the poci reproducing! Even if they don't turn into anything more, still a great sign of a mature reef tank I would say.

thanks guys. I think with time they are going to grow up into their own mini colonies. as long as they survive.

I counted two in my fuge and about 4 in the display. one is on a frag that i will sell eventually, so somebody will get a free hidden bonus :P

Archived