Top Shelf Aquatics

Curry's 30 Long - Now with 45% moar Eel

Curry02

Just found your thread, too bad about the rock wall because it looked pretty cool. I like that you went with had pipe for the sump plumbing. Also, that mesh covering from HD, its plastic right? My HD's only have metal ones and i don't want to have that hanging over my tank just in case.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found your thread, too bad about the rock wall because it looked pretty cool. I like that you went with had pipe for the sump plumbing. Also, that mesh covering from HD, its plastic right? My HD's only have metal ones and i don't want to have that hanging over my tank just in case.

Yea it sucks. As soon as I took it out everything started to look great. Water was clearer, coralline is growing everywhere in the tank now and all over in my sump. I can only assume stuff started getting trapped behind the wall due to not sealing properly and it became a nitrate factory.

Yes the mesh is from HD and its the clear plastic one. I think its called cicada netting or something like that.

Woo Hoo! Finally had time yesterday to install my apex, this thing is awesome!! I'm waiting on a WiFi adapter I ordered so I can get it on my network. Had to move my feather dusters to the sump because the clown was messing with them, didn't want them to die like my last one.

20140220_103406_zps6a765cf8.jpg

My skimmer has been putting in work...

20140220_103601_zps8ada11e3.jpg

Shot of my sump after I installed all the wiring for the apex and moved all the wiring in the cabinet.

20140220_103513_zpsd1a82520.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is slowly coming back. Lots of GHA is just dying off and falling off the rocks. The neomeris is slowly letting up. The LED picture is the most recent. It looks hazy because I didn't clean the glass. But way less GHA and neomeris compared to the other two FTS.

heres a quick shot of the tank about 3 weeks ago:

under T5 actinics followed by T5 day + actinic

20140223_104939.jpg

20140226_135458.jpg

then my newest light setup, 36 Cree LED's (24 royal blue and 12 neutral white with 80* optics) This was about a week ago I think.

20140310_194237.jpg

Every day i'm manually removing algae bits at a time so things are looking cleaner. Added some phosguard into my chemipure elite bag and put that into my TLF reactor.

Since things have been going well with the tank I decided to try a few small pieces of coral to see how they would do. Picked up a mushroom, some sort of green paly, dragon eye zoas and a small piece of war coral. Ill see if I can get some pics later. They do look very awesome under the LED's.

I have some confidence since my pink zoa colony hasn't shrunk nor grown during this whole fiasco. So lets see what happens. Both my angels, clown fish, royal gramma, pj cardinal and snowflake eel have all been doing well and eating very well.

Week later and things are looking good. I came back from Atlantic City and besides some dirty glass the corals that I added look fine, not covered with any GHA. I cleaned the sand bed and wiped/scrubbed the glass down. Manually removed some neomeris but outside of the tank. My green chalice appears to have survived the slight peroxide dip and freshwater rinse.

Ill have some new FTS as soon as I get some time. I don't know why I didn't buy this APEX sooner. Its not even online yet and I love it. All my brother had to do while I was away was top off.

This colony is the only one that made it through all the gha and neomeris.

20140324_145944_zps41e85d73.jpg

These guys are new. You can still see some tufts of gha but they are slowly falling off.

20140324_145938_zpsbb82ace5.jpg

FTS. Sorry its crooked. Took it with my phone.

20140324_150107_zpsddddbc73.jpg

Archived