Innovative Marine Aquariums

AJ_Tsin's Zeo 47g Shallow. NEW FTS

AJ_Tsin

Stunning tank and great video.

Clever way of linking in the video - did you screenshot an image to make the clicky from or is that some youtube feature I haven't found?

Thanks,

I photoshopped a play button and the words onto still image from the video uploaded to photobucket and linked the photo to the youtube channel. Figured it was a clever way to link to the video using the semiotics of a video player without being limited by the forum functions or bandwidth.

Definitely not a feature of youtube, but it really should be..

wow your tank is really beautiful! that video was quite amazing, and the HD made a huge difference. I do have to agree the cuts were a little too quick for me to take it all in, but really stunning colors and scape.

Cheers thanks irogers, glad you got a chance to see the video.

amazing video and great music choice. i love it when people are able to turn this crazy hobby into a work of art.

Cheers. Thankyou mdannyg. You are right it is a crazy hobby and I am convinced you can turn anything into art..

Thanks everyone for reading/watching. The video has 200 or so views in its first day. I am assuming most of those are from here so thanks everyone I know it takes a crazy ego driven motive to make a "_____'s Tank Thread" but I am glad there is a place we can share our work and hobby so easily. There are a lot of "stiff" communities on the web especially in the aquarium world. I am glad NR is not one of them.

Kudos to all who are following or have participated in this thread. Stay tuned for more updates as they come and the more comments the better.

- A.

A small update:

So I did the first water change today. It's been 2 weeks since the upgrade and the cycle is complete. All diatoms have completely disappeared. I plan on running ROWAphos in the reactor beginning tomorrow to keep the nutrients low. Also I plan on adding 5-6 more hermits and about 8 more Astrea Snails this afternoon most of these will go in the sump as it is empty right now, but a few will go in the display.

I have never seen an aquarium cycle this quickly. Perhaps it has something to do with the daily 0.3ml of vodka being dosed right now that helped build up the bacteria colonies. I have yet to increase the vodka dosing and I am still unsure if I will. I am going to run the ROWAphos first for a month or two and monitor the results. I am also debating wether to forget both options and run a ZeoVit system instead.

Any opinions on this?

I will do a profile on the sump room soon with details on how the guts of the system are actually set up.

That video is amazing, I can't get enough of this tank. TOTM for sure!

Now thats what Im talking about. Thanks for the compliment. I would be honoured to get TOTM someday.

...Someday.

If there was a NRVA (nano reef video awards) u would win :lol:

Beautiful! just beautiful!! :wub:

If only there were NRVA.

Ha thanks for the compliments. I make video and film for a living so I would hope I could show some skill.

Cheers.

Holy Gawd!!!!!

:o

We need a video of the month contest!!!!!

Haha, I wish. Great comments from everyone though glad to contribute. Thanks to those with constructive criticism as well I believe that is essential in any creation.

Beautiful tank! Makes me want to start a shallow reef.

Thanks everyone.

I set up an ATO in the sump today. Extremely excited to finally have a stable system... no more pouring jugs of water every couple days. I have an extra bucket of Kalk mix so I may add that to the top off water. However I want to get everything stable again before I start auto dosing anything. Now that the ATO is set up I am debating between fully beginning Vodka dosing or the ZeoVit system as the next addition. I am about 90% sure I will be running a low nutrient system, I am just not sure which: Vodka or Zeo.

Any thoughts?

The sump is also a pretty awesome part of this setup. It's a 30 gallon acrylic also custom built by Miracles Aquariums. The plumbing is connected by two independent ball valves under the tank which allow for flow and return adjustments and the can both also be completely shut off for maintenance ect. The overflow is also equipped with a Stockman Standpipe making the living room virtually silent.

IMG_0629.jpg

It is separated into three main compartments which includes a long narrow refugium and 6-7 inch deep sand bed. This setup is a bit unique as the drain pipe splits into a T joint before entering the sump. One outlet goes into a filter floss media rack type compartment which houses a ton of floss and a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite this water is moving quickly and will travel through the skimmer, reactor, past the heaters and baffles, and back up to the tank. The other end of the T is adjustable by a ball valve and flows directly into the independent refugium. This allows customization of the flow through the fuge without slowing the return pump this water than trickles back into the return chamber and also back up into the display.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

In the sump there's also a Deltech MCE-300 skimmer, and I've also been running ROWAphos and carbon in a Two Little Fishes 150 Phosban reactor.

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

I have also added a DIY float valve auto top off. This valve opens and closes like any float valve (no electricity required). A TOM Aqualifter is pumping from a 40 Gallon reservoir which is filled directly from the RO/DI source. Still testing this setup but seems to be working fine. The only problem is that the Aqua lifter is on 24/7 not sure how this will work although its a perfect fix for now and I had everything already so it cost me 0$ to try.

IMG_0631.jpg

The basement placement is by far one of the best perks of all and it was as simple as drilling a hole through the floor.

IMG_0633.jpg

All in all this sump is a good size and allows expandability. Having the extra space to do just about anything is an amazing feature and the cool unfinished basement environment will make it ideal in the hot summer months. The shelving and concrete floor allow for an ideal location for storing gear and supplies and its a perfect place water changes and maintanece which can get messy especially in a hardwood living room. In the near future plan on selling the Deltech as it is meant to be a hang on and is really a waste of energy as a "in sump skimmer." It will be replaced with a Vertex IN-100. As mentioned before I may also be adding a Zeovit Reactor and Dosing system to the mix. More updates to come on all of that. A fish room is a much desired addition to any reef and just getting all of this stuff out of the living room is worth it on its own.

IMG_0627.jpg

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment or ask questions.

-A.

Edited by AJ_Tsin
This is by far one of the coolest tanks I've ever seen. I can tell you put a lot of thought into the construction of this - keep it up. I wanna see more.

Thanks, I will definitely keep up with updates so stay tuned or keep reading and you will indeed see more.

Im jealous... of the possibilities....

Yea there is a lot of room for expansion pretty exciting. First time I have had a setup like this.

Thanks for the comments..