Coral Vue Hydros

run wavemaker or no?

new-b-reefer

So when I bought my nanocube 28 cf quad, it came with an ocean pulse duo wavemaker. I usually leave the interval at 0 and run both pumps at the same time because I was once told that if I use the wave maker it will burn out the pumps faster. Does anyone have any advise or experience with this device? Did your pumps burn out really quick? I want to know if I should use it or not?

What powerheads do you have? Some aren't recommended for use on a wavemaker. I've used Maxi-Jets on a similar wavemaker before and didn't experience any problems.

I'm sure he means the 2 stock Accella pumps in back.

I've had those both running at same time since start up.

Have two Maxi Jets in on the wavemaker. Until last night. Just turned both on full time last night.

One of the MJs made a terrible racket when it switched on.

I waited a reasonable time for any break in. Never happened.

not enough flow with wave maker on stock pumps so i ran both all the time. then i wanted some randomness so i added a hydor rotating deflector. deflector cuts down about 30 percent of flow = not enough flow i didnt want to add a korila cause they take up room and not random unless you pay a lot a $ so i found that if i cut the intake down on a rio hf 6 a little ( supper easy ) i could use them with the hydor :D

stock pump = 266 gph @ 15 w

maxijet 1200 = 295 gph @ 20 w

rio hf 6 = 350 gph @15w

you do the math ;)

sale the damn thing... makes usin a ato impossible...

and just go big and buy a mp10...lol its what i did...

i think every one would if their wives/others would let them lol

i think every one would if their wives/others would let them lol

that when u pull out the whole "hey you pay 45 bucks for a tiny bottle of s**t to cover s**t on ur face..." :ninja:

tho it does not work for everything..

that when u pull out the whole "hey you pay 45 bucks for a tiny bottle of s**t to cover s**t on ur face..." :ninja:

lmao :lol:

thank you all for your respopnses. yes i just have the two stock accela pumps it came with. about how much do the maxijets run and which ones would i have to look for? also, do the maxijets fit in where the factory accelas fit? would it be a good idea to sometimes just turn the wavemaker on like maybe 1 day a week just to change flow and maybe kick up some stuff that couldnt be kicked up before?

i know, im full of questions :)

The stock pumps might be OK; after all, they came with the wavemaker, right? If they burn out, you could always replace them with something else.

Wavemakers aren't necessary, but can be beneficial (clearing off debris, supplying food, suspending detritus for your filters, etc). There might be some benefit to running it occasionally, but I think that running it constantly could be even better.

Even with a wavemaker, you still need good flow. I generally figure total flow by just counting the pumps that are on at any one single point in time.

thank you all for your respopnses. yes i just have the two stock accela pumps it came with. about how much do the maxijets run and which ones would i have to look for? also, do the maxijets fit in where the factory accelas fit? would it be a good idea to sometimes just turn the wavemaker on like maybe 1 day a week just to change flow and maybe kick up some stuff that couldnt be kicked up before?

i know, im full of questions :)

Here's an idea.

Take a 1 gallon water jug. Cut off the top, but still keep the handle.

Scoop some water up. Pour it back in the tank.

Do that a couple times.

It is a free easy way of doing what you say you want to do. And will do it better than a wave maker.

Or buy a 4 buck turkey baster.

MaxiJets are like 15 20 bucks, you can buy them from any number of places. Marine Depot, Drs F&S, PetSolutions, or even Amazon.

Wavemakers aren't necessary, but can be beneficial (clearing off debris, supplying food, suspending detritus for your filters, etc). There might be some benefit to running it occasionally, but I think that running it constantly could be even better.

Sorry to do this to you brother but... I have run tanks with vortech MP40s on reef crest (never could get the size wave I wanted on it and it was damn loud when I ran them in short pulse mode), regular powerheads that came with the tank, hydor flo's, K-nano's through K2's, and most recently a Tunze Nano wavemaker.

*NOTHING* comes close to the growth/happiness(as judged by polyp extension and growth) of my SPS/LPS corals than when I have had the wavemaker on. It generates an amazing amount of turbulent (vs. laminar flow which is bad. Think garden hose or fire hose vs. the ocean waves) force/flow that can be very deceptive since you can't really see it. And I *HIGHLY* recommend using one.

If the pumps do burn out then you swap them out. Pumps like those are cheap at about $20 a throw. And when you do the math (in reference to the gentleman's post above) you want about a 10x turnover of water through your filtration system and you want as turbulent a flow as possible. Which means in a 28 gallon tank you want about 280 gallons an hour of water movement. Which means you are more than fine with the pumps that it comes with and by running the wavemaker option you will get plenty of turbulent flow.

Even with a wavemaker, you still need good flow. I generally figure total flow by just counting the pumps that are on at any one single point in time.

thanks again for all your responses. wow maxijets are pretty cheap then. i might just buy a few to keep on hand. and i do have a turkey baster to kick things up. i also had an extra rio 50 powerhead lying around so i put that in the tank and aimed it into the rock so that detritus dont accumulate so much in the dead spots. ok, i will go see if i can get some maxijets soon. now is there any modding i have to do to use those pumps or do they just hook up to the factory hose and kinda plug and play? do i need to get new hoses for the return?

So I now have this tank setup. And I have come to the conclusion that I am either doing it wrong or the bloody pumps and controller are no where near strong/adjustable enough to anything other than put water out one way then the other. Nice idea in theory. Bad idea in practice.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize this thread is a bit dated but wanted to chime in on how I have my 28g Nano setup. I have both return pumps on all the time and use the wave maker on a 3rd powerhead that is installed behind my live rock. It runs for 30 sec then off for 30 sec. This seems to give me the best of both worlds. Max filtration in the back and some variation in the tank. It also helps to keep things moving behind the rock work.

Hummm... To get a true wave going you will need an oscillation allot faster than 30 seconds or even the 10 seconds this thing is dial downable to. Most likely on the order of 1/2 a second or so.

• 6 years later...

then you teller her what you "really" use that 45.00 bottle of conditioner in the shower for

Archived