SaltCritters.com

Neil's 34 Gallon Solana

wastememphis

That looks great! WOW...I'm currently building a 34g solana and I think I might have to go with a rock wall now!

Your coralline growth is amazing too!

wastememphis

Thanks guys! I do not have a secret method to make the coraline algae grow... I use Reef Crystals salt, never check my calcium, and do a waterchange every two weeks (aprox. 4 gallons).

Future projects for the tank:

1) Install Aqua Ilumination Sol Blue LED fixture which I have had sitting on my kitchen table since February :huh:

2) Buy a clip on fan to control the temperature (Set up with Aqua Controller to turn on at 80*)

3) Buy a light and set up a refugium in the first chamber with Chaeto.

Does anyone have any reviews/comments on the following:

1) JBJ Nano Glo 4 LED Refugium Light

2) Clip-on Cooling Fan

wastememphis

Does anyone have any reviews/comments on the following:

1) JBJ Nano Glo 4 LED Refugium Light

2) Clip-on Cooling Fan

AaronHartwell

Yeah, I agree with the others. The rock wall looks awesome! I was wondering whether or not doing that would result in less real live rock being placed in the aquarium but it looks like you were able to do the wall and get plenty of rock for bio filtration.

What is the back wall made out of? It looks like pieces of rock ziptied to eggcrate but then you've put something over that. Something synthetic like concrete? :)

It's really cool.

wastememphis

I've had a lot of messages about the rock wall... here is some pictures from when I built it:

1) Cut eggcrate to fit the back of shape of the back wall of the tank:

DSCN6408.jpg

2) Use zip-ties to attach rock rubble to the eggcrate. This not only makes the depth and texture of the wall look awesome but it also weighs the wall down so it won't float.

DSCN6412.jpg

3) I used great stuff pond foam and regular foam insulation to fill in the gaps between the rocks. Then I used a dremmel tool to trim the foam and make the texture to look like rocks.

DSCN6428.jpg

4) I then used a two part epoxy to cover all of the foam on the wall (to prevent degradation due to UV light in the tank). Immediately after putting epoxy on the wall I dropped sand all over the wall. I did this step a few times to make sure there was expoy and sand everywhere... I then put a coat of expoy overtop of the sand.

DSCN6429.jpg

5) I waited for it to sit for awhile then tried fitting it in the tank (needed to be bent a little. Make sure you keep checking how it fits in the tank when adding all the foam and sand (it may be hard to cut pieces off to make it fit after your done). After everything fit fine I used a tube or two or aquarium silicone to attach it to the back wall of the aquarium. Then I put some rocks in to determine how I wanted the rockscape to look.

DSCN6437.jpg

DSCN6432.jpg

DSCN6439.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...