ReefCleaners.org

Anemone...in biocube?

beats123

Just wondering if there are any kinds of anemones that can go in a 29 gallon biocube? I was thinking about a condy or a rock flower anemone. Would any of these work? If not which ones would? Thanks!!

I have a BioCube 14 and have a big sabe and just got a RBTA but I have a 150w MH. Idk if the stock lighting would be the "best" for a anemone. Some one else can chime in on that. What kind of set up? Stock or modded?

carbon-mantis

From what I've seen, the "Mini carpet anemones" will stay pretty small. Never had them though, but there are others on here who have/had them.

I'd say definitely no to the condylactis. When I first started keeping saltwater tanks I rather foolishly listened to a local pet shop and bough one for a 10g. It grew fairly quickly, and in a year and a half it went from about 4" to taking up half of the tank before I got rid of it. Plus, they'll eat your fish if they catch them(sayonara, yellow tail damselfish).

I'd stay away from the sebae as well. Every one I've seen was or grew huge and from the information I've gathered they're rather picky about their living conditions.

I have heard sebe anemones are pretty hard to keep than a BTA. They do grow pretty large. I bought the sebe first before my RBTA bc it was cheaper and see how that went before I spent $100 on a RBTA

First, demonstrate to yourself that you can keep other corals and fish alive. Then upgrade your lighting via nanotuners (PC) or DIY (LED)...and get an RBTA. Cover your powerhead intakes and be prepared for it to roam until it finds a nice undercut ledge to attach to. Feed it weekly and keep your water quality high.

I've had mine for 5+ years in 7, 45, and 14 gallon tanks (in that order).

Here it is in the 7g minibow...which this site enabled me to start.

minibow7.jpg

I'd recommend you do some research on rock flower anemones, there are a few on here that keep them. as for sebae and BTAs I have no hands on experience yet. they may be in my future... I do know that they need good lighting, so your light may not be good. It has been suggested that an anemone could do with out light and heave feeding, but im not sure anyone has tried this, nor would I recommend such an approach. I do have an actinia sp. anemone in my tank now (and a mini nem on the way), it's looking alright and even hosting my maroon clown. I got it cause it was inexpensive, but later found that there is no info on it online. so i'm in the dark about it. I'd say try a BTA, but consider upgrading your lights first, or prepare for having to do so later.

+1 to doing your research.

Ive had a Sebae in my BC29 for several months now, he was a tad shabby when i bought him but i nursed him back, he has since colored up, stop gaping and has put on some good size. I have the 5.6 LED retro from nanotuners and a sapphire aquatics skimmer. If your new to the hobby, go with a BTA i personally have no exp. with flower nems.

I've had flower nems in the past. good for a beginner. They'll find a deep crack or crevice in the live rock and attach their "foot" entirely in the crack and stay put. At least mine did. I fed him pieces of krill and silversides twice a week. Just hold the food against him and it will stick to him and he'll do the rest. Mine lived about eight months in a bc14 (stock lighting) until my flameback angel got a hold of him... I'm an idiot. There is no such thing as a reef safe angel. Lesson learned.

I've had flower nems in the past. good for a beginner. They'll find a deep crack or crevice in the live rock and attach their "foot" entirely in the crack and stay put. At least mine did. I fed him pieces of krill and silversides twice a week. Just hold the food against him and it will stick to him and he'll do the rest. Mine lived about eight months in a bc14 (stock lighting) until my flameback angel got a hold of him... I'm an idiot. There is no such thing as a reef safe angel. Lesson learned.

ya im probaly going with the rock flower THANKS for all your help!!!

If you want to fill a space in your tank I would get a condyactis. I am going to get oe for my aquapod 12 to fill in some space. Petco usually sell them for about $7.99 which is a LOT cheaper tha a bubble tip.

If you want to fill a space in your tank I would get a condyactis. I am going to get oe for my aquapod 12 to fill in some space. Petco usually sell them for about $7.99 which is a LOT cheaper tha a bubble tip.

would stock lighting be sufficeinet enough??

bluefunelement

I'd suggest a big green elephant ear mushroom (Rhodactis) instead until you get better light.

Here's my new GBTA under the 4x36 kit

web.jpg

northstar1357

I am not sure the bulb combos are for biocube 29 and watts but i am keeping a bubble tip anemone in a nanocube 12 for more than half a year and its doing great. The first thing u need to have an anemone is a established aquarium. preferably 5months+ They want a lot of flow. Mine roam around my aquarium eveytime i aquascape. They eat and poop a lot. Since BIocube and nanocube alike dont have penatrating lighting required by anemone, it is best to aquascape your rocks like a mountain, going high up.

Oh yeah, they sting other corals ;)

In terms of growth, it went from a 3 inches in diameter to 6 inches+ in less than 3 months.

• 2 years later...

that is EXACTLY what mine is doing. I just got him yesterday and it looks like he is wedge so deep in the crack. thats normal right? did yours have long tentacles? it seems like my rock anemone has short ones or is it not fully open? should i be worried?

Just remember inespensive condyactis, eats expensive fish / shrimp.

I love rock flower anemones :) They are usually pretty inexpensive and don't sting as much as other nems. Mine is next to some mushrooms and while the mushrooms are not thrilled, they are not dead. Mine eats well and my porcelain crab lives in it from time to time. They are pretty easy.

I have a a maxi mini carpet - you should look into them. They come in very fun colors and I find don't have high light requirements. I tried one a metal halide from aquatraders and my anemone HATED it. It wouldn't fully extend and would stay puckered up. I originally had it under a T8 and a crappy LED (bad me, I know). I switched over to marine LED's and it still doesn't chose the brightest spot in the tank. I've had it for months and it's bright fun colored, gets a bit of scallop once a month or whatever mysids and such I put in the tank. It seems happy.

jedimasterben

Condys are a bad idea. They need high light, high flow, and i had both in my system where he was, and he never quit walking around and stinging stuff. No one or LFS would take it, just tossed it outside after freezing it.

Mini-maxi = best idea ever

Archived