183 replies to this topic

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL

Hi all, I finally got my first saltwater tank started this weekend after months of planning, reading and saving! This site has been a huge help with so many awesome tanks and ideas.

Updated Full tank shot 11/25/11:
Posted Image

I'm using one of the Mr. Aqua 33.5 gallon rimless tanks which I'm really happy with. It's about 25" x 18" x 18". I built a stand for it in October using some ideas I found from various sites. I couldn't resist painting it gray, ADA style.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I also decided to go with Evil's Par 38 bulbs. I had planned on T5s but these seem like a much better deal in the long run. And they're really sexy ;). I'm using two, one 12k and the other 20k, both with 80 degree optics. I mounted them with Office Depot swing arm lamps.

I'm also running a 10 gallon sump, no skimmer yet but planning on a Bubble Magus. I'm using a clear Lifereef hob nano overflow and one of the ADA glass outflow pipes for the outflow. Obviously I have my cleaning work cut out for me as far as trying to keep it all clear.

The live rock is Marshall Islands from Coral Corral in Oldsmar, FL. I love the shapes and I don't think I could have done a bad aquascape with this rock if I tried.

Posted Image
Posted Image
(messing around in daylight with a small florescent light in the back like i've seen some of the planted tank folks do)
Posted Image
Posted Image
(need to get a glass scraper)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for checking it out!

Edited by mdannyg, 25 November 2011 - 08:53 PM.

KPclown

KPclown

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 28 Oct 2009
Really nice tank, very clean looking and contemporary. I like your aquascaping too, is it Liverock or Dryrock? What do you plan to use for filtration and flow? Do you have a stock list yet?

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
thanks! it's live rock. i'm using an mp10 for flow. the return pump for the sump a hydor seltz L30. i just have some extra live rock and sand in the refugium area of the sump now, but i'll add some chaeto and a protein skimmer after the cycling or when i start adding corals.

stock list plan at the moment is just to keep corals limited to a few i really like, and not overloading it. i love ricordea so i'll definitely start out with that. i'd like to try keeping things with blues and greens mostly too, with a few random colors here and there, but generally keeping a color scheme. which may either look good or boring... we'll see.

fish wise i'm thinking maybe a couple firefish and a dwarf angel.

way down the road i'd love to try a tube anemone...

urbaneks

urbaneks

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2009
  • Chandler, Arizona
I love your tank! Wish I would have gone rimless.

urbaneks

urbaneks

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Joined 01 Dec 2009
  • Chandler, Arizona
When you get a chance post some pics of your sump. I'd like to see how you have that setup.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
thank you! i guess i should take some pictures of the sump, although i was hesitant because it looks so ugly. it was my fist attempt at silicon and baffles and it's crazy. its basically just a return section in the middle with the fuge and skimmer on either side. i have the drain with a tee connection going into the two sides and a ball valve on the skimmer side. i'm using vinyl flexible tubing. the return area only holds about a gallon incase the siphon breaks.

r3dph03n1x

r3dph03n1x

Crazy Reefer

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • Joined 05 Aug 2009
  • DFW, Texas
Darn sexy rock there!

Post pics of the sump for sure.

Edited by r3dph03n1x, 23 January 2010 - 12:25 PM.

Where is John Galt?

Surfzup2k4

Surfzup2k4

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • Joined 08 Mar 2004
I am keeping my eyes on this. Looks sweet :)

How happy are you with the silicone job on the tank?

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL

How happy are you with the silicone job on the tank?

i'm happy with it, but i have never owned or even seen an ADA tank in real life so i can't really compare it to anything except my 10 gallon Aqueon, heh. it's obviously much, much better than that.

i have read other people say they think the silicon on Mr. Aquas could be a bit better.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
Ok, here's the sump, don't laugh too hard. And yes as you can see by the different colors I actually used so much that i ran out of silicone at one point and had to buy more. :D

Posted Image

I should probably move that rock rubble in the bubble tower (on the right side) so it's a little more compacted so there isn't that big open space. or should i not use live rock rubble in there at all to avoid nitrates? and should i use those filter pads or not? I'll eventually be putting chemi pure or carbon in there. The protein skimmer will just fit behind that. And i'll be putting in a fuge light when I get some chaeto.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
this has been up for about two weeks now, no huge updates but i am excited to be getting some diatoms.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i'm planning on adding my clean up crew next weekend. i haven't really had a cycle since the rock was cured which is nice. never had any ammonia or nitrites. nitrates are becoming ever so slightly visible.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
I got my initial clean up crew today. I'm starting with 10 trochus, 10 astrea snails, and 5 scarlet hermits. I also got some chaeto for the fuge. I'll probably add some cerith and nassarius eventually.

I also discovered how to adjust my camera's white balance, so I had some more fun with that. these pictures are a bit more true to life, but it's definitely more blue in real life.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

pismo_reefer

pismo_reefer

[Ugly Duckling Smokers.]

• Premium Members
  • 10,837 posts
  • Joined 23 Aug 2008
  • Sacramento, Ca.
ART.
*clickety*
c6d71bff60541bb66816ff699c91f636.jpg

Giga

Giga

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,973 posts
  • Joined 17 Aug 2007
  • Virginia Beach, VA

ART.

+1

Mangrove Forest               Black Lagoon                Guide to growing mangroves

mangrovefeature.jpg

Bonsai                                                                Red & Black                                                                           The Drop Off

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
Thanks!

Billdemart

Billdemart

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,992 posts
  • Joined 28 May 2003
  • Atlanta, GA
Yeah I wish I could scape like that.

violinist

violinist

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,470 posts
  • Joined 17 Nov 2009
Love the scape and the tank itself is smooth as hell.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
i wonder what this star thing is on this crab's shell..

crabthing.jpg

Edited by mdannyg, 07 February 2010 - 06:28 PM.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
I'm kind of perplexed. about 5 of my trochus snails have been upside down and when i right them they don't do anything. or if they do move again they just fall back over. i actually watched one struggle to stay on the live rock and the weight of the shell pulled him over, like the snail was too weak. they were fine for over a week up until yesterday. i never had to right any upside down snails until now. some have retreated almost completely in their shell. my hermit crabs and astreas seem fine. (though really my hermits don't move quite as much as they did, but they're getting around) my parameters have all been stable.

tonights tests were:
salinity 1.024
Alk 7.84 dkh
Calcium 460
PH 8.3
Nitrates between 0 and 5 ppm

i am using a hydrometer so i suppose it could be one of those horror stories where someone goes out and buys a refractometer and finds their salinity is actually some crazy number, but i'd think everything would be acting weird, not just the trochus snails. could they have already starved to death? i'm still seeing die-off on the rock that i think they could eat but i've never had any algae other than diatoms.

any thoughts are appreciated!

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
so i got my Bubble Magus protein skimmer in the mail yesterday and installed it last night. i'm pretty happy with it so far. I ran it in a vinegar water bath for an hour and then rinsed it in ro/di water. it has been running in my sump for about 18 hours and has produced some tan colored water. i'm still not sure how i should have it adjusted. as you can see in this attached picture, i have the foam/bubbles not going quite to the top of the tube. should it be? i'd be afraid to have them come up any further since thats how much water it overflowed into the collection cup in less than a day.

bubble.jpg

and my snail situation is still the same... :huh:

Edited by mdannyg, 18 February 2010 - 03:25 PM.

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL
I've finally added my first corals.

Some ricordea:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also added some zoas. These ones look pretty bad. The first week they were pretty much closed, so right now i'm just happy they're finally opening. I hope they color up as well. I'm not sure if the problem was the shipping or something with the way I dipped them.

Posted Image

So today I got some more zoas at my lfs and these seem great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And today I added these three firefish from the quarantine tank. They seem to be having fun with the flow from the Vortech.

Posted Image

updated full tank shot:

Posted Image

Edited by mdannyg, 06 March 2010 - 09:06 PM.

Tigahboy

Tigahboy

Esq.

• Members
  • 9,151 posts
  • Joined 09 Jul 2004
  • Southern California
Nice and clean. Good start!

mdannyg

mdannyg

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 252 posts
  • Joined 20 Nov 2009
  • Tampa, FL

Nice and clean. Good start!

thanks! your tank is one of my favorites on here.

quickfinger

quickfinger

Nudibranch whisperer

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Joined 04 Dec 2008
  • New Jersey
yeah looks great
AGA 33 Gallon Long
NC12dx w/nanotuners 3.6 LED, RKL

OClownsandNanos

OClownsandNanos

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 718 posts
  • Joined 17 Oct 2009
Very lovely rock and rockscape - what'd you use to secure the rock to make the ledge? Awesome start! And don't usually care for them, but like your trio of firefish. How do they interact? I do really like your new green zoas too. Hopefully the other ones will open for you.