inTank Media Baskets

Digitate Hydroids -> how to control?

LogansRunRx

have been reading through a few threads here and on other BBs...

but have not seen much in the way of "final answers", so:

my 6 moth old BC29 is becoming over-run with digitate hydroids. :angry:

digitate_hydroid.jpg

(photo from melevsreef.com -> great website!)

they look just like this so, i'm sure that's what they are.

have seen multiple and various recommendations, so a few questions:

1. peppermint shrimp -> can anyone confirm that they DO eat hydroids (no just aptasia)?

2. copper banded butterfly -> yes, i know... "to big for a nano"... but can anyone confirm that they DO eat hydroids (not just aptasia)?

3. re: nutrient control -> would adding a skimmer to my tank help control the hydroids?

4. any other hydroid preditors???

had my innitial bloom of hydroids in the cycle.

have a few colonial hydroids as well, but aren't multiplying so leaving them alone for now.

was flashlighting around in the tank last night and i must have 2-3 dozen digitates now... and still seeing medusae on the glass regularly.

will be trying out Joe's Juice this week.

any and all input appreciated.

cheers...

Peppermint Shrimp will eat them but you need to starve the tank so they actually work for food. I would also suggest more than one Peppermint. There is no guarantee they will eat them either.

Peppermint Shrimp will eat them but you need to starve the tank so they actually work for food. I would also suggest more than one Peppermint. There is no guarantee they will eat them either.

have access to wild caught peppermints here in Houston (Galveston bay).

some have endorsed them as opposed to LFS-bought pep's (which have aquired a taste for fish food).

any truth to this???

Mag bath = dead

likely so, but would have to completely tear-down my aquarium... they're everywhere.

love your 40B/solaris set-up BTW.

very inspiring!

thanks

I honestly have no idea.. Anyone else know?

I wouldn't think it could hurt though. I don't see how it could be worse than if you bought it in a LFS, so you might as well try it.

have access to wild caught peppermints here in Houston (Galveston bay).

some have endorsed them as opposed to LFS-bought pep's (which have aquired a taste for fish food).

any truth to this???

likely so, but would have to completely tear-down my aquarium... they're everywhere.

love your 40B/solaris set-up BTW.

very inspiring!

thanks

Well, what I would try is making a paste out of mag powder or kalk and covering as much of the hydroids as you can manually, and try some peppermint shrimp to take care of the rest.

Best of luck getting rid of them - they can be a major PITA.

& Thanks btw :)

Oh yeah, thats a great way to do it as well.

I had hydroids and I put clay and reef glue all over the holes. Haven't seen any since but I only had a few. I also have one Pep.

Well, what I would try is making a paste out of mag powder or kalk and covering as much of the hydroids as you can manually, and try some peppermint shrimp to take care of the rest.

Best of luck getting rid of them - they can be a major PITA.

& Thanks btw :)

I haven't tried hard to get rid of them since none of my corals (mostly SPS) showed long term problems. Methods for removing aiptasia (except aiptasia-eating nudibranchs) should work.

scubasteve2580

these things have built major colonies in my tank. i tried blasing with kalk (was suggested by a fellow reefer) which didnt even phase them. peppermint shrimp tried eating my duncans. i would super glue the holes but the rock they are infesting is a support structure for the rest of my rock work so taking it out doesnt happen without breaking down the tank. it sucks. not so sure they are dangerous but i do have some zoa's that one of the colonies is touching and the zoa's that are being touched arent opening fully but they arent dieing either. hard to say. maybe cover them with reef puddy??

the real question to be asking is... do they have a powerful enough sting to have a negative effect on anything?

IME, no for corals. Mine extend at night up to 3-4", and so they almost certainly touched my corals. They survive, from what I've seen, by eating pods, including some amphipods.

scubasteve2580
IME, no for corals. Mine extend at night up to 3-4", and so they almost certainly touched my corals. They survive, from what I've seen, by eating pods, including some amphipods.

like i said, they annoy my zoas but nothing to the point of death.. you think they would irritate sps at all?? also, 3-4" or 3/4"?

Not all are that long, but some get at least a few inches in length. I can't say they don't irritate SPS corals, but none of my SPS showed visible signs of being stung.

scubasteve2580
Not all are that long, but some get at least a few inches in length. I can't say they don't irritate SPS corals, but none of my SPS showed visible signs of being stung.

wow those are huge.. mine are like 1/4" lol.

wow those are huge.. mine are like 1/4" lol.

dunno that we're talkin' about the same thing then...

they are only out full length at night, but mine are just like lak's... about 2-3" long.

scubasteve2580
dunno that we're talkin' about the same thing then...

they are only out full length at night, but mine are just like lak's... about 2-3" long.

really.. well what are mine then?? they look like little bitty aptasia. tiny things that dont seem to get any bigger

• 11 years later...

It's digitate hydroids I acquired a few of these somehow when I picked up 10 frags from TSA few weeks ago even after dipping them smh working on getting rid of them the zoas they came in on aren't very happy rn either sadly,  fingers crossed some peppermint shrimp help.

Archived