SaltCritters.com

fewskillz' 55 aggressive softy reef

fewskillz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your skimmer cup looks just like the one on my stock solana skimmer, is it?

It's a CPR Bak Pak r2. I dunno if that's the solana skimmer or not? I doubt it.

Why you taking those fishes out?

You gonna put them in the 180?

This tank is pretty full and I'd like to ease up on some of my maintenance, so I'm going to lighten the load a little. Then add a lionfish. :rolleyes: Plus the ones getting removed are all too pretty to be in a drab old FOWLR, they deserve a reef.

• 3 weeks later...

All but officially decided to upgrade this tank to my old 125. I just need to make time to clean up the 125. It'll be at least a month. I also have to save for a skimmer.

Stocking plans include some of the current fish: heniochus butterfly, niger trigger, maroon pair,

plus I'd like to add

another butterfly or 2...or 3, (maybe more heniochii, or an Auriga or Vagabond)

a lion; if dwarf, a zebra, if full-size, a Russel's

a diamond goby; to clean the sand since inverts probably won't survive,

and a full size angel; probably a Maculosus or an Emperor since they only get to 1'

Maybe another trigger, maybe some non-reef safe wrasses, and probably a few cheap damsels and/or dottybacks for color and activity.

animalmaster6

Sounds like a great idea! How about a Snowflake Eel?

Is this thread going to be the thread for the 125G upgrade?

Eels are cool, but the boss HATES snakes, and they're too similar. Plus I hear they're escape artists.

Yes, I'll just edit the title and make this the 125 thread. Like I said, it'll probably be a month out. I'll be at the race track all of this weekend, and have some meetings the weekend after that. My life is nuts right now, so this tank is on the back burner, especially since there's no lionfish yet.

• 1 month later...

Got a guy interested in trading a 72 bowfront for my 125. I'm excited. My first SW tank was a 46 bow and I've always loved the 4' version. It's not as much of an upgrade as the 125 would've been, but it's an upgrade none the less. No pomacanthus angels is the only negative.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished helping the new owner setup the 125 last night. I think it looks damn good to be under NO T8s. He just needs to finish cleaning out my 72, aquascape, and add sand. Otherwise it's up and running. Between the tank itself and the 55 sump, I think we've got about 170 gallons of water in it. His Koralia 7 and new heaters are supposed to arrive today. It's home to a big ocellaris clown, an Australian Harlequin Tusk, a Desjardinii Sailfin Tang, a Koran Angel, and a Niger Trigger. All of the fish (except Occy) are about 6" long. It's basically exactly what I was going to do with the 125 if I'd kept it, 5 or 6 big fish. I was having to fight off the regret last night after we finished.

125snewhome.jpg

125snewhome2.jpg

I screwed up and forgot to level it, so this weekend we're probably going to take my Mag 18 and every bucket, cooler, and trashcan I own and go over there and drain it down so we can shim up the one side.

72 Bowfront pictures tonight!

That scape is awesome!!!!

This is the 55g thread :unsure:

That's not really a scape, we just stacked the rocks up. The tank had been setup about 20 minutes when I took that picture. He does have nice rocks though. I was pretty impressed with them.

It's the 55 to 72 upgrade thread, now. That 125 is what I traded to get the 72. Since it's not my tank, I figured this was the most relevant of my threads to share what I've been working on all week.

72bowfront.jpg

Here's the empty 72 in the messy garage. I still have to window tint the back and decide which room it's going in.

The fish and rock are chilling in my spare tank, a 40 breeder.

animalmaster6

Richie, me too. I love bows. Plenty of room for aquascaping :)

Skillz, this build is going to be sweet. You should turn that 40 Breeder when you are done into an angler tank :P:)

Skillz, this build is going to be sweet. You should turn that 40 Breeder when you are done into an angler tank :P:)

Not much of a build, just stacking rocks and adding powerheads. I've considered drilling it, but I'm trying my hardest to talk myself out of it. The only tank I have that could be a sump is a 20 long, and I'd have to buy a return pump.

If the 40 breeder becomes anything it'll be a Caribbean reef flat with a cherub angel as the centerpiece.

• 1 month later...

Decided against using the 72 for this upgrade. It's not a good size for what I want and I was way too tempted to drill it. For now everything will just stay in the 40 breeder until I figure something out.

• 2 months later...

Well, this tank has moved around a bit this past weekend. I posted all of my tanks (lotsa extras!) for sale last week. I sold this 40 breeder on Friday, so we had to rush home, move everything over to my empty 29 and get the 40 breeder delivered to its new owner.

The 29 sold on saturday, so we had to hurry and get it emptied. We decided we would just keep the 72 bowfront and the 37 tall so we moved the freshwater fish from the 72 to the 37.

I was 20 minutes away from moving the 72 into place and adding saltwater when we got an email with someone who sounded serious about buying it. So now we needed to hold off on that, but the guy to buy the 29 was still on his way. So we put the 20 long and a 10 gallon on the kitchen counters and moved the FOWLR setup from the 29 to those two tanks.

The 72 guy saw pictures and was interested so we took our profits from the 29 and went to Petco to buy a $/gallon 55. We then moved the rocks and fish from the separate tanks on the kitchen counter to their new, semi-permanent home in a brand new 55 gallon.

Current stock list:

Gold-stripe Maroon clown female

white-stripe maroon clown male

lawnmower blenny

lemonpeel angel

I really want a dwarf lionfish of some sort so that's probably all I'll add. Maybe some damsels for color and movement or a cheap wrasse.

I'll post pictures soon, but it pretty much looks like the old 55 that was setup peninsula style, it's just against a wall and has a black background now.

Which Lemonpeel you got mate? :)

You mean like real lemonpeel or false lemonpeel? The real one, with the blue around the eyes and on the gills. Centropyge flavissima.

4, wow. Yeah I've only heard of the two I said, and even then I hate calling fish as "False insert some other fish name here" so I call false lemonpeels what they are, Heraldi dwarf angels. I also refer to my clowns as Occy's, not false percs.

Archived