SaltCritters.com

Spot the new fish!

TheNordCelt

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If nanotuners had their LED system out, I would have bought that, but it was definitely a fun build.

Yeah, I think that came out the day after i ordered all me stuff, but the dimming app is nice and i think our led's are a little better.

pheonixsoul25

love the cat sitting on top the cube :lol: oh and your puffer im sure ur asked alot about it but did you convert it your self? buy it that way ? how is it in the tank? aggressive ? eats coral or not ect..... friend is fixxing to tear down a fresh water tank with a puffer in tank i love the fish very intresting to watch in tank... was thinking about tring to convert it to salt any thoughts ?

I just looked up this thread to ask about the puffer too. That thing is really cool, how is it working out for you?

love the cat sitting on top the cube :lol: oh and your puffer im sure ur asked alot about it but did you convert it your self? buy it that way ? how is it in the tank? aggressive ? eats coral or not ect..... friend is fixxing to tear down a fresh water tank with a puffer in tank i love the fish very intresting to watch in tank... was thinking about tring to convert it to salt any thoughts ?
pheonixsoul25

fixxing to start actually, have a five gallon hex im gonna set up for the fish to in crease the salinity gradually. just not sure how much to in crease it at a time ect. there is a shop a about an hour from mobile (were i am) that sells them but they are like $25 each. and we already have three fresh water fish in the house. but ill keep u up to date on how it goes.

woah look at that cat :)

Oh yeh, this is a fish forum.

very cool scape man, I like the 2 island look.

thanks, that cat will sit anywhere that's warm. I've woken up to her smothering me before. thanks for looking!

I got the puffer already acclimated, but i don't think its that difficult. I've heard of them nipping at fish, but I've had no problems in the year that I've had him, my clowns are twice as aggressive. They eat a lot of snails in their natural diet, so i always keep my tank well stocked, at this point i think they reproduce on they're own though. Good luck man and I'll be following it!

fixxing to start actually, have a five gallon hex im gonna set up for the fish to in crease the salinity gradually. just not sure how much to in crease it at a time ect. there is a shop a about an hour from mobile (were i am) that sells them but they are like $25 each. and we already have three fresh water fish in the house. but ill keep u up to date on how it goes.

Interestingly enough, they start out in brackish and live they're adult lives in salt, keeping them in freshwater is really not good for them. And they do puff up, mine went down my siphon tube and puffed in the middle of it. I spent 20 min with a razor blade trying to get him out with out slicing him!

Is the 8 spot (or is it a green spotted) in your salt water tank?

I started my first saltwater tank for two of those. I purchased them freshwater, and over time (a few months) converted to full out salt. They didn't do too well in the tank unfortunately :(

hope you have better luck :)

Cool puffer, I took mine up to full salt within about a year, and right after I did he jumped through the glass covers :( I was so bummed. How does yours do in your tank? (Actually read my 55 gallon thread for the full story on the puffer, I just remembered I wrote it recently.)

Cool puffer, I took mine up to full salt within about a year, and right after I did he jumped through the glass covers :( I was so bummed. How does yours do in your tank? (Actually read my 55 gallon thread for the full story on the puffer, I just remembered I wrote it recently.)

I've had no problems with the puffer, and they actually are supposed to be full salt when they're adults. He's a really awesome fish, just as much personality as the blennie

Great looking tank, love the scape! I've wanted a puffer for a while but was scared about it killing off inverts and nipping corals. Did you pick him up at Reef Chief? I was there a few days ago and saw that they had about 8-10 of them already acclimated. They just hoover there and following you... kinda like puppies in a way.

Speaking of which, what city are you in? I'm near Suffolk myself. I haven't gotten to meet many S/W enthusiast around this area yet.

Great looking tank, love the scape! I've wanted a puffer for a while but was scared about it killing off inverts and nipping corals. Did you pick him up at Reef Chief? I was there a few days ago and saw that they had about 8-10 of them already acclimated. They just hoover there and following you... kinda like puppies in a way.

Speaking of which, what city are you in? I'm near Suffolk myself. I haven't gotten to meet many S/W enthusiast around this area yet.

Yeah, I got him at reef chief, over a year ago now. I'm in virginia beach, isn't jeff moving the store out to suffolk? or maybe it's chesapeake. don't know. Do you have a tank thread?

Jeff's moving the store out to Suffolk some time late March early April.

I haven't started a tank thread yet I mainly just lurk around. I started my tank in September so I don't have a whole lot in there right now.

Have you heard about the supposed frag meet in march? I would like to go but of course I've got nothing to trade and I'm scared of spending too much money.

As everyone has pretty much told you, sweet puffer. I've always wanted one but I'm just too scared. I didn't know this one can be in salt though. I used to have one like it aloooong time ago (about 15 years ago) when I had a freshwater tank. Maybe some day I'll ask you how to acclimated it when I feel like being adventurous.

Anyway, I really like the new scaping as well.

Jeff's moving the store out to Suffolk some time late March early April.

I haven't started a tank thread yet I mainly just lurk around. I started my tank in September so I don't have a whole lot in there right now.

Have you heard about the supposed frag meet in march? I would like to go but of course I've got nothing to trade and I'm scared of spending too much money.

No, I haven't, but I'd like to check it out. I don't have to much to trade but would like to look around.

As everyone has pretty much told you, sweet puffer. I've always wanted one but I'm just too scared. I didn't know this one can be in salt though. I used to have one like it aloooong time ago (about 15 years ago) when I had a freshwater tank. Maybe some day I'll ask you how to acclimated it when I feel like being adventurous.

Anyway, I really like the new scaping as well.

Thanks, I really like him. Your tanks look really good as well, and I've updated the scape a little more, think I've finally got it right. I got tired of the constant heavy construction so I moved my pistol and the rocks look a lot better. Post pics tonight.

• 1 month later...
TheNordCelt

Okey dokey, haven't posted anything in a while, got some new stuff and here are some teaser pics.

resize.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

and this one sucks, any body know how to shoot under blue LED's?

IMG_1429.jpg

Going to take some better pics of the new scape and new stuff later this week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
TheNordCelt
What type of puffer is that anyway? Have any more pictures of it?

Its a green spotted puffer, I'm taking some pictures tonight hopefully.

TheNordCelt

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1706-1.jpg

IMG_1703-1.jpg

IMG_1626-1.jpg

IMG_1697-1.jpg

IMG_1695-1.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1706-1.jpg

IMG_1703-1.jpg

IMG_1626-1.jpg

IMG_1697-1.jpg

IMG_1695-1.jpg

The two in the middle with the black sand are a new cube i set up as a softie semi aggressive tank. I love damsels, they're some of the most active colorful fish around so i figured I'd give them they're own tank, the puffer is in there and so is an coral nipping clown goby.

TheNordCelt
Very nice setup Patrick!

I like it!

Thanks you, I still am not happy with the way the LED's brown out the Zoas. I just dialed them way down and will see if that makes a difference. I'm thinking in my next setup(40 Breeder? fingers crossed) I'll have T5's with led actinics. This isn't for a while though.

Pics of the puffer to come!

TheNordCelt
Looking good. Let see the puffer.

got family in town this weekend, try to get some though

Archived