ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish won't go in anemone

brandonscopes

brandonscopes

I just recently bought two black and white ocellaris clownfish. They won't go into my rose bubble tip anemone. Is there anything that can get them in there. I have already try putting food in the anemone to try to get them in their. I also tried to put pictures on the glass. Nothing worked! Any other suggestions?

Edited by brandonscopes

lol maybe cuz the ocelleris natural host is the carpet anemone? and the RBT natural host is the maroon clownfish?

theres a chance that it will host something. no guarantees

just be glad they don't alternate between hosting your mag float and the top left corner of the the tank like mine did for almost 2 years. It just started to host the candy cane coral of all things.

just be glad they don't alternate between hosting your mag float and the top left corner of the the tank like mine did for almost 2 years. It just started to host the candy cane coral of all things.

Mine host my Koralia 1.

Rubbing it in his face?

nah, just showing that some ocellaris will host a bta. Mine did pretty quckly, but the orange one had been in a tank with btas at the LFS. I think that may make a difference. For others it may take time, I think they have to experience the feel of the anemone accidentally and realize they like it.

Marine Man Tom

besides did you buy tank bred clowns? if you did then they dont know what an anenome is and most will just be afraid or not use it. if they arent tank bred and have had an anenome b4 then they should go in it but guess not for u.

besides did you buy tank bred clowns? if you did then they dont know what an anenome is and most will just be afraid or not use it. if they arent tank bred and have had an anenome b4 then they should go in it but guess not for u.

Tank bred clowns will host anemones on occasion. I had a pair that took to an anemone pretty quickly. Other tank bred clowns won't host anything at all, it all depends on the fish.

My Picasso clowns started hosting my RBTA 4 hours after I taped an instructional picture to the glass :)

No BS, i just found a pic of a clown hosting an RBTA and used it...

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think there is some truth to all the posts about forcing them in. It seriously works magic. I had a small breeding chamber laying around you can pick one up for a few dollars then just put them both in there for a day or two along with the pictures taped to the glass. It has worked twice for me.

• 9 years later...

I have 4 BTA (2 are 3 years old, 2 are 2 years old. They both split after about 1yr). My clowns (3 years young) know what the anemones are. They use one sometimes for emergency shelter when scared (1-3 seconds only). They sleep at the front of the glass, and hangout behind 2 of the anemones but dont touch them.

The female i think doesnt like the sting, or isnt able to match the mucas to be pain free. The male is ok with it, but chooses not to because the female doesnt join. Therefore the nems have no host.

20190729_210435.jpg

While waiting for my new WaterBox 20 Cube(coming in the next 5 to 10 days) I was youtubing/googling on how people introducing their clown fish to nem.  Couple of people had successfully done it by housing the clown fish (most importantly the Female clown fish) with the nem in a small confined basket or container for a short period time, an hour or so.  After building up the hosting relationship, released them back to the tank.  If you have run out of options, try your luck with it.  Good luck!