ReefCleaners.org

Acropora1981's 28g Box of Underwater Awesome

acropora1981

Hey, I missed your post so sorry for late reply. Thanks for the condolences, we went out for a big family dinner to toast Benji the dog; he was our family dog for 15 yrs so I've known him since I was 15. Great little pup, affectionate and loyal. He was a Tibetan terrier, a wonderfully loving breed.

New tank is still in box; were moving in 2 weeks so I will setup the new tank at our new home. I am using the ai sol blue unit, it's awesome. I'm running it (peak) at 35/75/75. Other setting are similar ratio, but lower intensity. I can't imagine running it without the controller, it's a beast that can easily cook sps corals! I caution you against running high in whites, it gives me algae issues and poor coloration with high white. When i upgrade I will be running it with 2 39w hot5 Fiji purple to add some red pop to it.

Also, I bought a very sick elegance a month ago for my lps/softie tank; never owned one in my 15 yrs because I always heard they were picky. Someone out there can tell me perhaps if it's looking healthy?

40f05633.jpg

It's being slightly irritated by the hammer, but other than that it looks good right? It was receding badly when I got it (free).

My tank has only been set up for 5 mos, but an elegance was one of the first corals I got. It is still one of my favorites. Yours looks healthy to me but I would consider moving it away from stinging type corals.

Also, sorry about your pup. When we loose a dog it's like loosing one of your kids.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
acropora1981
Wow, your colors should really pop then!! Can you hurry this up a little please?!! hahaha :D

Haha unfortunately we are moving so I will be setting up the new tank basically on moving day at the end of the month. Even then, it will likely be a very limited setup, and the sump wont even be plumbed in at first, due to the chaos that the move will cause.

My tank has only been set up for 5 mos, but an elegance was one of the first corals I got. It is still one of my favorites. Yours looks healthy to me but I would consider moving it away from stinging type corals.

Also, sorry about your pup. When we loose a dog it's like loosing one of your kids.

Unfotunately I cant move him - there is literally no other space in the tank right now. However, these corals will be moved from their current tank into my JBJ 28 which should provide about 40% more space, and that will happen in the next 10 days or so.

Thanks for your kind words regarding Benji. He was a good boy, and a very good friend. I miss him.

acropora1981

Well, that sucked. Everything is alive and well,but that was about a 12 hr process!

I smashed my pink birdsnest to bits, it's all stubby now, but I had kind of expected that ;)

acropora1981
ah do you have any tips for future tank moving people? i need to do it in 2 months x-x

Sure:

1. Never move the aquarium the same day as you move the rest of your stuff; its a sure recipe for disaster as speed is key

2. Pack up all absolutely unecessary items first; leave the tank running until the last moment. Pack lights, reactors, etc and just leave the tank running with heater and a flow pump.

3. Rapidly drain and store as much water as possible in camping water jugs, and transport live rock, corals and fish in old salt buckets 1/2 filled with tank water (with lids ON) OR bag them like a store would - buckets are much better.

4. Use a battery operated air pump to aerate buckets on route

5. Quickly setup only the tank and stand, and put all water in, then get a heater and a flow pump going ASAP and put fish and corals in as soon as possible. As long as the animals have heat and flow they will be fine for days and days.

Basically, minimize the time that the animals are not heated and aerated/exposed to flow and maximize the amount of water you take with you.

• 2 weeks later...
acropora1981

Everything still ok; new system is up and running with a temporary rubbermaid sump. Acro's basically all browned out, but thats OK.

Still trying to find time to aquascape properly...fml.

Im giving serious though to combining my SPS and LPS into one tank, and selling off all invasive softies (xenia, cespit, discosoma). Feeling a little burned out after the move and really really only want to deal with one aquarium for now.

reefernomad

Hey there Acorpora,

I just stumbled onto your thread, beautiful tank! I am also a Toronto area reefkeeper, I noticed you have had some frags for sale in the past, and wondered if you currently have anything available? I see that you just moved, so obviously you need time to get settled and whatnot, but I figured I'd ask. I've been hoping to get to know some other reefers, so that once I'm at the point of fragging my corals I might have people to trade with.

Also, I'm relatively new to the hobby, had my 29g for a year and a half, so I wondered if you have any tips as to what the best stores are in the area, I've found a few decent ones in Markham, Vaughn, Oakville and Mississauga, but nothing really in Toronto.

Cheers,

Jeff (reefernomad)

acropora1981
Hey there Acorpora,

I just stumbled onto your thread, beautiful tank! I am also a Toronto area reefkeeper, I noticed you have had some frags for sale in the past, and wondered if you currently have anything available? I see that you just moved, so obviously you need time to get settled and whatnot, but I figured I'd ask. I've been hoping to get to know some other reefers, so that once I'm at the point of fragging my corals I might have people to trade with.

Also, I'm relatively new to the hobby, had my 29g for a year and a half, so I wondered if you have any tips as to what the best stores are in the area, I've found a few decent ones in Markham, Vaughn, Oakville and Mississauga, but nothing really in Toronto.

Cheers,

Jeff (reefernomad)

Hey Jeff - we moved up near Ottawa! So yeah...

But there isn't much in Downtown. Menagerie; but the salt selection is limited. The names of the 'must see' stores are (IMO): North America Fish Breeder, SeaUMarine, ReefRaft, Lucky Aquarium, Aquatic Kingdom, Big Als.

acropora1981

So I decided to conglomerate my lps and sps into one, not a great idea, but I am tired of running two tanks...

Here is the 40 breeder running, it currently has a very rudimentary metal stand but that will change.

39a7be38.jpg

acropora1981

Moar pics...

My very sloppy herbie overflow - brs is out of 1" gate valves!

09158ab8.jpg

My also sloppy equipment - as you can see I am using one of our moving boxes as a sump, this one contained knick knacks!

c1c3aabc.jpg

here are some more tank shots - I need to get rid of some montipora frags/colonies ASAP! They are a real pain/ugly in the corner.

36247982.jpg

42c19f81.jpg

1a43debe.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
acropora1981

Ok so I've got everything up and running now; finally got my calcium reactor back to match uptake in the new larger tank, and things are starting to grow again after the stressful move.

FTS

fulltankjune13.jpg

Left side of tank is a low light LPS area...

lps.jpg

Ricordea, carpet brain, etc.

rics.jpg

Stuff

pocillopora.jpg

Lots of different acans and some cool zoas...

acan.jpg

acropora1981
Great tank Acro! Everything looks happy and healthy!

Thanks! I have officially stopped buying corals lol...to much

:o that purple hammer is like a wet dream! Do you know where i can find colonies of rare or colorfull euphyllia? Im having trouble tracking any down.

I need to get rid of some montipora frags/colonies ASAP! They are a real pain/ugly in the corner.

Im interested in colonies of capricornas or digitata if u are willing to ship

Sometimes I have trouble leaving the house because I just can't stop looking at my reef :D

This has happened to me and made me late for work :mellow:

I am glad everything made it ok :) Looks so nice!

acropora1981
:o that purple hammer is like a wet dream! Do you know where i can find colonies of rare or colorfull euphyllia? Im having trouble tracking any down.

Im interested in colonies of capricornas or digitata if u are willing to ship

Is just a green n brown hammer i think?

I would ship but cross border gets very tricky with permits.

This has happened to me and made me late for work :mellow:

I am glad everything made it ok :) Looks so nice!

I was late for a BBQ on the weekend because it all just looked so amazing that I couldn't stop looking!

Particularly I can't stop looking at my elegance and the red goniopora. By 3 pm they are so fully expanded and they're just mesmerizing. I wanted an elegance for maybe 15 yrs or so and it's just perfect.

acropora1981

I've been away from my tank for 4 days and it's been insanely hot. My fiancé says the tank got up to 85.5 F!!!! I'm hoping like hell that my corals aren't dead when I get home tomorrow :(

acropora1981
Hope everything is doing ok at your place... Keep us posted dude!

It's all good tj. Some corals are a bit shrunken down (lps) but no sign of bleaching from any sps or lps or softies. Temp is down to 81f.

I think I need a bigger sump and a second fan.

Archived