Innovative Marine Aquariums

FishEye Aquaculture Updates!

FishEyeAquaculture

FishEyeAquaculture
It's pretty neat that you've been able to create an environment that encourages all these species to proliferate unintentionally. I think it speaks to the quality of the environment that breeders need to establish vs. what is considered ideal by a lot of reefers on these boards.

Thanks! The secret is...a lot of work. feeding, cleaning, siphoning, feeding, cleaning, siphoning, etc.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FishEyeAquaculture
Man I hope that you have a lot of aiptasia - I've read that a pair of Nudi's will wipe out a smaller tank in no time!!!

We currently have 23 adults and many many juveniles...oh and eggs. So we are going through a lot of aiptasia at the moment. We have a culture tank set up for aiptasia, but we are starting to run low. I am going to put a call into some collectors I know down in Islamorada and see if they can get me some bags full aiptasia. You can pull sheets of them off of the seawals down there.

We are going to have to unload a few beghias here soon.

It's pretty neat that you've been able to create an environment that encourages all these species to proliferate unintentionally. I think it speaks to the quality of the environment that breeders need to establish vs. what is considered ideal by a lot of reefers on these boards.

That is a very good point. You really produce some quality products consistently.

FishEyeAquaculture

As many of you may know, in December of 2009 we were fortunate enough to introduce to the marine aquarium hobby the S’more Clownfish. Months later, other aquaculture companies marketed the S’more variant of clownfish as Black Ice. No matter what you call that variant of clownfish, we have been proud to offer this variant of clownfish to the hobby.

It is now December of 2011, and we are proud to introduce a new variant of clownfish. This clownfish does not have aberrant patterns as many other new variants in the clownfish world do. This is a completely new color of a very common species. The Amphiprion frenatus (Tomato Clownfish) is well known to our hobby, and they are normally red, as the common name of this fish implies. On occasion, you will find some varieties that have darker coloration or dark spots on their flanks. But have you ever seen one that is all black…no red at all? We would like to introduce to you the “Rotten Tomato Clownfish”!!! Since Tomato Clowns are notoriously aggressive fish, and this variant is all black, we feel the name fits.

The Rotten Tomato is truly one of a kind here at our facility at this time. I am happy that it is from the first spawn of a normal Tomato pair that we have. Since it was their first spawn, there were only 50-60 eggs hatched. The Rotten Tomato started out red right after hitting meta, but at around 40dph, it was all black. Kind of reminds us the way Black Ocellaris turn from orange to black. The fish pictured below has been removed from the growout system and has been selected for our broodstock program and is not available for sale. However, we hope that our continued breeding of this now unusual pair that we will find some more Rotten Tomatos that turn…well, sour.

Rotten Tomato

rottentomato4.jpg

rottentomato2.jpg

rottentomato3.jpg

Rotten Tomato with normal colored sibling

blacktomato2.jpg

If anyone has seen an all black A. frenatus, with no red, please let us know. From discussions and pictures distributed of the Rotten Tomato with experts in the field of marine aquaculture, this is the first any of them have ever seen and/or heard of.

FishEyeAquaculture
how did you get this color?

Honestly, we're not 100% sure. Like I stated above, the parents are normal Tomato clowns. One person that I have spoken with has suggested that it is not depositing any carotenoids or might be melanistic.

FishEyeAquaculture
Very interesting. Have you came up with a price for the new variant yet? The fish look great.

At this time we aren't in that ball park yet. We have only come across this one. As I stated above, this one rotten tomato came from the first batch from one of our tomatos pairs. It changed color around 40dph. The next oldest are I think 25dph, and we also have some larvae that are about to settle. I really hope we find more, but this could also be the only one. Either way, we are excited and this one very well could be a foundation for many more Rottens.

Still very awesome. If you do end up with more, is there anyway I could get my hands on one or two. I know it is a ways off, but I still very interested lol.

For those of you interested in the curious case of our Rotten Tomato, I have started a thread over at MBI to try and get some point of views as to how this has happened or what is making this fish black.

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=64917

You have really got a big response over there. I don't think that any of them really answered your question though. Hopefully this is a new strain and you just have really good luck lol.

Lord Vader huh? Does it make me a geek if I like that name?

I like Lord Vader as well lol. It would be unique to the saltwater hobby as well. And I don't think it makes you a geek lol.

FishEyeAquaculture
I like Lord Vader as well lol. It would be unique to the saltwater hobby as well. And I don't think it makes you a geek lol.

No way,it doesn't make anyone a geek...it makes you a red blooded American!!!!

BTW, there is no way I am going to risk infringing on a copyright name from Lucasfilms.

Archived