Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

December 2009 - Lalani

Christopher Marks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I missing something? A mod winning totm ? Seems like a conflict of intrest ! :unsure: Ha ha I'm just kidding ! :D A well deserved win for a great Tank ! :blush: I always enjoy your pics. And the way you present your tank ! Great job Kim ! :happydance:

Thanks! I guess I got lucky with the good macros growing so well without any help from me. :D

So how long have you had those macros in your tank? Have you had a problem with aggressive growth with the caulerpa? I've always been loved the natural look marcos give reef tanks. I've tried some of the calcium based macros like shaving brush and halimeda with no luck in the past. I've been thinking about caulerpa but I'm kind of scared be of its potential to grow fast.

The macros have been growing since the tank was set up. I had one 'bush' of halimeda in the 20H tank, growing out of the sand, but nothing on the rocks until everything was transfered to this tank. I suppose the higher levels of calcium that came with the new saltwater spurred it's growth and it slowly started growing on the ricordea rock. From there, it has spread all over. 

The feather caulerpa only showed up in the past couple of months and I actually pulled 90% of it out just last week or so. The bits which were starting to grow out of the sand and towards the rocks were taken out, but I missed one strand in the sand and it's growing quickly. In order to not risk it taking over, I'll soon rip that strand out too. There is another type of caulerpa in there, with zig-zagged  leafs, but it's a much slower grower so I'm not worried about it.

Red turf algae and dictoya are in the tank also, but not very noticeable. I did have a lot of red valonia growing in the 20H and it took off big time when this tank was set up. Thankfully though, it all died off. I've also tried adding a couple of types of algaes, but they died quickly. Certain things work and other don't, it's strange!

• 3 years later...

does any1 know what kind of plants thoughs are

Halimeda and feather caulerpa. :)

I miss this tank when it was at its peak, sigh.

Archived