Cultivated Reef

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

Thanks for noticing! It took me a while to space out the rocks, but I did eventually get them to click into place like puzzle pieces. :D

I'm trying to reduce as much clutter as I can on this build. Clean and simple is the theme.

Anyone notice that my sand is not bowing out in the front? I have the AC70 at full blast too! :ninja:

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone notice that my sand is not bowing out in the front? I have the AC70 at full blast too! :ninja:

Tell us all the secret to this snippet of reefy godliness, I know I am ALL ears......

The tank is flowing a full 369gph and the sand is still in place after all this time! ;)

The secret is, I use the Rio 50 to break the AC70's flow. The Rio 50 is pointed directly at where the AC70's outlet water falls, disrupting the flow there and scattering it around. I feel this orientation generates a more random flow pattern that tends to hit more areas of the tank (no dead spots) while at the same time breaking the surface even more (no surface scum, better aeration), so it's a win-win for me. B)

sweet. will the rattle ever go away or it that just the way it is?

I think that's the way it is... <_< Not much I can do about it except get used to it I guess. It doesn't keep me awake at night though.

nice setup, any stocking plans yet?

Thanks!

For a CUC, I'm going to pick up some DIBS turbo snails as soon as it's all good and cycled. I love inverts, so I'll definitely have a hand full of 'em. Sexy Shrimp? Pom Pom Crab? Porcelain Crab? A Goby and Pistol Shrimp pair? It's all up in the air right now, I wish I could fit em all! :haha:

As for corals, I'm going to start with the common easy softies like zoas and ricordeas, etc for a while. Eventually I'll venture into LPS and SPS and see how far I can push a PAR38.

Hey Drift,

Looking good, and nice idea with the Rio 50. Movement is movement, but sandstorms stink.

As your fuge ages, having the Fuge on full blast will eventually hit an end point, as mine has just started to after 6 months as the Fuge grows in, so keep an eye out!

Yeah, I've read that all the filtration elements + organic matter will eventually slow it down a bit, and that's fine. If it ever becomes a serious problem (and I doubt it will be) I guess I can always get a stronger powerhead. As it stands now, the flow is pretty ridiculous anyway! :haha:

Another week, another water parameter test...this week we have:

14534_221176436136_519406136_3126583_6018155_n.jpg

Week 3 Results:

SG: 1.025

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 0.50 ppm

Nitrite: 0.50 ppm

Nitrate: 40 ppm

Wow! I definitely did NOT see this one coming. Maybe my tank is ready to cycle after 3 weeks? :wacko: Bear in mind that these levels were tested after the fuge was added, meaning additional water was added which should have somewhat diluted things a bit. The only thing I can think of that might have elevated the levels is the somewhat dirty filter floss I have in the fuge (speaking of which, I need to change it). I've been blasting my rocks alot lately and the floss is probably holding alotta crap.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't added anything...now to go change that filter floss...

Edit: Here's the filter floss:

14534_221177846136_519406136_3126617_4994413_n.jpg

Yum! :eek:

Anyone else have a Rio 50 think it's pretty loud? There is a constant rattle sound that is pretty annoying. :angry:

I've also been modding the AC70. So far so good, pretty easy stuff.

My rio 50 was loud also, so now I just use it for mixing salt. :angry:

Straw! :haha:

Hmm...I was thinkin of maybe pickin' up a microjet 400 or one of those hydor pico evolution pumps. Not many reviews on the hydor unit though. we'll see...I really shouldn't be tossin' more money into equipment...:rolleyes:

Straw! :haha:

Hmm...I was thinkin of maybe pickin' up a microjet 400 or one of those hydor pico evolution pumps. Not many reviews on the hydor unit though. we'll see...I really shouldn't be tossin' more money into equipment... :rolleyes:

Tunze on Premium Aquatics.....its a Tunze, 'nuff said. ;)

Edit: Ignore the 230V rating on the website, its 110V.

I looked into that before buying the Rio...might have to order me one of those...only thing is they cost a pretty penny! Anyone know if they come with an elbow to redirect flow? The Hydor Pico Evos look cool because I can tuck it in the same spot the Rio is in now and aim it at the same spot...I haven't read anything about noise, however..

I could buy a Koralia Nano for how much the Tunze Universal pump Mini 5024.04. Sure it won't be as small as the Tunze...but damn! :bling:

Anyone wanna buy my Rio 50? :haha:

my rio 50 is fairly quiet. but my maxi jet is a lot more quiet O.o

but after i took it apart and cleaned everything out it ran a lot smoother and quiet.

My cheapo no name that I had in before I got the Rio is quieter!

I've taken it apart multiple times with no joy and have to prime it upon startup or else it's even louder than it is now! It's not SUPER loud, but something quieter would be nice.

I looked into that before buying the Rio...might have to order me one of those...only thing is they cost a pretty penny! Anyone know if they come with an elbow to redirect flow? The Hydor Pico Evos look cool because I can tuck it in the same spot the Rio is in now and aim it at the same spot...I haven't read anything about noise, however..

I could buy a Koralia Nano for how much the Tunze Universal pump Mini 5024.04. Sure it won't be as small as the Tunze...but damn! :bling:

Anyone wanna buy my Rio 50? :haha:

15 bucks? Well, maybe closer to 20 with shipping, but I've only seen the K-Nanos that cheap when on sale, and with shipping closer to 25ish.

I didn't see on the users manual on the Tunze site that showed it coming with an elbow :( Perhaps the one for the Rio MIGHT fit if you decide to get one.

Archived