Fire and Ice Chalice

Brown and Green Favia

Galaxea Coral

Blue Cloves

GSP

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shouldn't be too bad, i like that it's 18" front to back and stretch so the front and back middle are almost twice the size of the side panels.

Shouldn't be too bad, i like that it's 18" front to back and stretch so the front and back middle are almost twice the size of the side panels.

yea i agree. the shape of that one should help. hope to see some pics after you get it scaped.

chachi

My old tank!!! I loved this tank for its aquascaping, so many different angles to look at stuff! i should try to find pictures (couple years ago). your gonna love it!!!!

My old tank!!! I loved this tank for its aquascaping, so many different angles to look at stuff! i should try to find pictures (couple years ago). your gonna love it!!!!

That would be great!

I had never seen one before and when it popped up for sale locally for an insanely good price i couldn't pass it up. I really wanted some vertical height and this gives me that with the same length as the 20L with 18" front to back. It should be fun, i sort of want to do a panoramic scape.

Ok, well these are from 2004 - 2006. I loved this tank.

one of the first aquascapes:

post-14685-1259087771_thumb.jpg

2 columns led to...

post-14685-1259087654_thumb.jpg

a great big arch

post-14685-1259087558_thumb.jpg

i started off with PC lights and ended up with a 250w MH pendant and a little walmart blue neon nightlight on a timer for moonlights.

By the way, nice job with the drilling and painting, it looks great

Thanks for the pics! It looks like it should be a very photogenic tank, yours looked great.

Yeah the hole drilling is a bit nerve wracking especially that first hole :D I usually don't like Hex tanks but i totally love this one because of the huge display area, wonder why you don't see more of them. Although the scarcity of the tank is part of what drew me to it also. The person i bought the tank and stand from are a member on this site and have a 24 gallon nano-cube, I'd like to thank them again for such a great deal. The tank alone at LFS would cost me $220 and stand $250.

A bit more progress lastnight. Still not done with overflow, got some cutting to do and painting to it. The outflow pipes if they end up being too loud i may drill them and try and do some sort of derso setup. I just loved how close this method was to the tank. The other method i was going to do was t connectors and nipples which brought the plumbing out another inch or two from this one. And yes i'll be putting clamps on the hoses :) Still have yet to baffle the sump, i have to go to lowes and have them cut me some acrylic. Anyway here are some pics.

DPP_0002.jpg

DPP_0004.jpg

DPP_0006.jpg

DPP_0001.jpg

I saw this style overflow awhile back on someones tank and i absolutely loved how little footprint it made inside of the tank so i had to make one :)

Lemme know what you think!

Following along Shawn!

Will you be cutting a slit for the overflow, or drilling holes.

( or did I read too fast and miss it? :P )

Nope i didn't mention :) doing a slit actually. Maybe some crosscuts if the slit isn't enough :D

• 3 months later...

Been awhile but i decided to start on this again and it's actually running right now and i'm getting the salinity set, here are a few pics of the filling process.

055.jpg

057.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

More updates in a few days its pretty cloudy at the moment :)

Finally got the guts to finally transfer rest of rock over and most of the corals :) I totally love how my ATI T5s look on this tank they look way better than on the 20L for some reason. Perhaps the shallow depth on the 20L made the color get lost a little bit because the intensity was so high and now that i have some depth to work with i can now see the spectrum better(theory).

Anyway here is the FTS i took about 30 mins after the liverock and coral transfer. Still no fish in the tank they are in the 20 gallon yet, i'll be bringing most of them to Barbies today, only fish i'll be keeping is my 6 line.

3-27-10FTS.jpg

Thanks Richie :)

I'm already loving the crystal clear surface water! First few days i was so paranoid since i've never had a drilled tank but i'm calming down a bit more now :D

Transfering over a few sticks that are in the 20L today, the zoos and LPS were my guinea pigs now i'll start putting some sps in.

Yup. Tough sleeping those first few nights isn't it? :P

Oh heck ya, first couple nights i was getting up every couple hours and checking for leaks. I kept imaging i was hearing water leaking out too lol.

Very nice Hex man, welcome to the club :) make a post here and join our ranks. ;)

Thanks! I added to thread :)

I added my SPS to tank and i have a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel on order!

Oh heck ya, first couple nights i was getting up every couple hours and checking for leaks. I kept imaging i was hearing water leaking out too lol.

Thanks! I added to thread :)

I added my SPS to tank and i have a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel on order!

ORLY...??? A GDM??? Awesome stuff bro! You'll love him!

Where did you order him from?

B)

Thanks David :)

I ordered him from Wetpets Hawaii. Les seems like a really cool guy and i've heard nothing but great things about the fish from him.

I've got the tank pretty much sealed off so far, i really don't wanna lose this little guy hehe.

Thanks David :)

I ordered him from Wetpets Hawaii. Les seems like a really cool guy and i've heard nothing but great things about the fish from him.

I've got the tank pretty much sealed off so far, i really don't wanna lose this little guy hehe.

Right on!!! That is who I ordered mine from, and I could NOT have had a better experience!!! Les is top notch, and you can't beat the price either!!!

I expect to see some pictures when you get him!!!

B)

For sure man, i've wanted one for soooo long :)

I had a chainlink eel back in 1995 and i loved him but during the time i had him he got out probably 5 times until i finally didn't find him in time... this time i think i'm ready for the cunning escape artists that are the moray eels!

I might be coming over the westside soon :) Wife wants to take me to the seattle aquarium for my bday next month.

Archived