Cultivated Reef

Clownfish Sick? HELP!

northstar1357

northstar1357

I noticed that my clownfish stomach exploded. last night the stomach was okay but tonight my clownfish look like it hate a huge mellon... 2 weeks ago, my other clownfish also had an exploded stomach and died the next morning but now it's happening to my other fish... HELP@@!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is too late, is fluid retention as a result of some kind of internal bacterial infection as a result of constipation (poor/not varied diet) and/or poor water quality. The fish will die, would look into the root cause before you get another one though...

I noticed that my clownfish stomach exploded. last night the stomach was okay but tonight my clownfish look like it hate a huge mellon... 2 weeks ago, my other clownfish also had an exploded stomach and died the next morning but now it's happening to my other fish... HELP@@!

It "exploded" ?! I'm thinking your fish should already be dead if that's the case.

If you mean bloated, inflated, or it became swollen then as was mentioned it could possibly be an intestinal infection (though it seems a lot of common intestinal/stomach related illnesses are parasitic) or more likely a swim bladder infection. Are the fish swimming normally or do they seem to wander/wobble or tilt in one direction? Look up "swim bladder" images and see if the protrusion on your fish is in the anatomical region.

The suggested treatment for a swim bladder infection is a good anti-biotic. Possibly something like triple sulfa or stronger.

If this is happening to a second fish then there are some underlying issues that might need to be taken care of. Even if this fish dies you might consider treating the tank to prevent this from happening further. How long have you had these fish?

northstar1357
It "exploded" ?! I'm thinking your fish should already be dead if that's the case.

If you mean bloated, inflated, or it became swollen then as was mentioned it could possibly be an intestinal infection (though it seems a lot of common intestinal/stomach related illnesses are parasitic) or more likely a swim bladder infection. Are the fish swimming normally or do they seem to wander/wobble or tilt in one direction? Look up "swim bladder" images and see if the protrusion on your fish is in the anatomical region.

The suggested treatment for a swim bladder infection is a good anti-biotic. Possibly something like triple sulfa or stronger.

If this is happening to a second fish then there are some underlying issues that might need to be taken care of. Even if this fish dies you might consider treating the tank to prevent this from happening further. How long have you had these fish?

Yes, you're right, i meant "bloated". this fish has been in my tank for 8 months now. the previous fish. died 2 weeks ago due to the same illness. i thought it ate some big pods in my aquarium. since it is so late right now, do u think my fish will make it until tomrrow? the fish swims fine. except with the big stomach.

northstar1357
How's the fish doing?

The fish died, and i went to my LFS and bought a new clownfish, but it only last 3 days until it died too. i dont know what is going on in my tank...

My LFS told me not to use tripa sulfer because it will damage my corals. what do i do now??

The fish died, and i went to my LFS and bought a new clownfish, but it only last 3 days until it died too. i dont know what is going on in my tank...

My LFS told me not to use tripa sulfer because it will damage my corals. what do i do now??

kinda messed up to buy another fish without fixing the problem if the other two died....

Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

Who knows tho, I lost a couple clowns to Brook but the first one I got is still healthy as ever. What else do you have in your tank that is doing well?

northstar1357
Einstein once said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

Weel, i was informed by my lfs that it was okay to add the fish as long as i have done water change to remove the bacterial that was causing the problem. so i assumed after a WC, everything was fixed...

how was i supposed to know if the problem is fixed?

How old is your tank?

You said you had the other fish 8 months? Thats a long time for this to all the sudden pop up. Do anything different lately ? Seems like everything was good for a long time...

cheryl jordan
Weel, i was informed by my lfs that it was okay to add the fish as long as i have done water change to remove the bacterial that was causing the problem. so i assumed after a WC, everything was fixed...

Boy you need to figure out whats going on before adding any more fish. And you have got to know that your LFS is going to tell you everything is OK, thats how they make money. Doing water changes is not really going to affect any disease problems you have going on. Pic of course would really help. What type of corals do you have? Need to know that to be able to treat the tank. And what are you feeding the fish and or tank? :)

:rolleyes:

Just keep adding fish and when they stop dying everything is fine.

northstar1357
Boy you need to figure out whats going on before adding any more fish. And you have got to know that your LFS is going to tell you everything is OK, thats how they make money. Doing water changes is not really going to affect any disease problems you have going on. Pic of course would really help. What type of corals do you have? Need to know that to be able to treat the tank. And what are you feeding the fish and or tank? :)

I have a monti cap, 3 large colonies of zoathids and GPS.

Everything started to crash after i added a new clownfish 3 weeks ago. originally i had 2 clownfish that was in my tank for 8 months. After i added the new clownfish ( C ), one by one, my Clownfish A and B started to die. Could the newest clownfish that i purchased from the LFS have caused this? maybe i bought a diseased clownfish? At the lfs the clownfish was really active so i took it home but a week later it cause my clownfish B to died then another week clownfish C and finally clownfish A.

I am sad T_T that this is happening.

Should i take out all my corals then use tripla sulfa to cure the entire tank?

I dont not have my camera at this moment, but i will take some pictures tomorrow when i have time.

Here is the link of my tank when i first started my tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ar1357&st=0

Oh yeah, i notice a lot of worms all overmy tank at night, is that natural? i see PODS as big a my zoathide. o was surprised to see what animals are lurking in my tank at night. Ugly creatures.

go ahead, keep buying new clownfish, after awhile all the dead bodies will clean your tank. ever thought of not buying another one? that might help, just maybe.

how 'bout this. dont buy another fish. take your water into your lfs ( like they're gonna help ) do a 50% WC just a start

poor fish :closedeyes:

cheryl jordan
I have a monti cap, 3 large colonies of zoathids and GPS.

Everything started to crash after i added a new clownfish 3 weeks ago. originally i had 2 clownfish that was in my tank for 8 months. After i added the new clownfish ( C ), one by one, my Clownfish A and B started to die. Could the newest clownfish that i purchased from the LFS have caused this? maybe i bought a diseased clownfish? At the lfs the clownfish was really active so i took it home but a week later it cause my clownfish B to died then another week clownfish C and finally clownfish A.

I am sad T_T that this is happening.

Should i take out all my corals then use tripla sulfa to cure the entire tank?

I dont not have my camera at this moment, but i will take some pictures tomorrow when i have time.

Here is the link of my tank when i first started my tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ar1357&st=0

Oh yeah, i notice a lot of worms all overmy tank at night, is that natural? i see PODS as big a my zoathide. o was surprised to see what animals are lurking in my tank at night. Ugly creatures.

Ok you can not treat your tank until you know what your treating it for. Yes it sounds like you introduced a diseased fish to your tank, but too many variables. You know what your sick fish looked like and the whole senerio of how it happend. You need to go to the correct form about diseases and figure it out and you will probably also find the correct treatment. You need a quaratine tank, but you probably know that, and for the price of three clowns you could set up a simple 10 gal one. Pics will definitly help and I hope things get better for you Oh yea you're not trying to put 3 clown fish in the same tank are you? And if you are it better be a big tank. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
northstar1357
Ok you can not treat your tank until you know what your treating it for. Yes it sounds like you introduced a diseased fish to your tank, but too many variables. You know what your sick fish looked like and the whole senerio of how it happend. You need to go to the correct form about diseases and figure it out and you will probably also find the correct treatment. You need a quaratine tank, but you probably know that, and for the price of three clowns you could set up a simple 10 gal one. Pics will definitly help and I hope things get better for you Oh yea you're not trying to put 3 clown fish in the same tank are you? And if you are it better be a big tank. ;)

Okay, all my clownfish died but the good news is that i got another 2.

Hong, I'm seriously confused here...

On your tank thread you show a picture from today with 2 clowns in it. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...r1357&st=20

How many fish total have died in your tank and when did the last one die?

Clownfish should live for many years. If they are dying prematurely that's suggesting that something is wrong in your tank. It could be something such as a parasite, virus, or bacteria. It could be water quality issues. It could be something more involved, such as the biological capacity of your tank.

Please post your water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, specific gravity, alkalinity, and calcium at the least. If you have other test kits post those parameters as well.

Also, please list all of the chemicals and/or medications that you have ever used, and approximate dates. Have you ever used carbon or any other medium such as chemi-pure?

Have you ever noticed any signs of disease or stress in your fish? I know you mentioned "hard breathing" and the stomach thing, anything else? How did you acclimate your fish? Can you think of anything which might cause stress for the fish thus weakening it?

IMO a good thing to do about now would be to not add anything else to the tank and to just sit back and let it chill for several weeks. Sorry if my post seems long and jumbled, I'm just trying to think of questions to spark a thought. Despite our wish, the majority of fish deaths are due to an error on our part.

Oh, and do yourself a HUGE favor and get a quarantine tank. $25 gets you a 10 gallon, small heater, some PVC elbows for hideouts, and either a small power filter or a sponge filter at wal-mart/k-mart/target....

If that's the good news, I'm eagerly awaiting the bad news. :huh:

Really need to find a diagnosis man. I'm hoping you run out of money before the clownfish supply runs out. ;)

cheryl jordan

I GIVE UP. And any future clownfish owners read this thread and you will know what not to do. :angry:

northstar1357

Sorry to confuse you all, The clownfish as i have mention died 2 weeks ago. The pictures from http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...r1357&st=20 are my current clownfish that i've purchased from the LFS after i cured my tank. I bought a JBJ 3 gallon pico for to store all my corals and used tripla sufla to cure my tank for 3 days until i did a 100percent water change.

Here are the parameters in my tank before my fish died.

Nitrate-0

Nitritate- 0

Temp- 78

Salt-1.023

Calcium -about 410? cant tell base on color

ammonia- 0

I have filter floss, phoslock remover and sponges in my first chamber.

Sapphire aquatic protein skimmer in my second chamber

MJ 900 with deflector in 3

K-nano.

Lighting schedule 9am-7:30

20 percent water change weekly

Let me get the story straight before someone throw another harsh comment at me.

My tank was completely fine for the past 8 months, since i started until a few weeks ago when i added my 3rd clownfish to my tank. My first and second clownfish was in my tank for 8 months since i started.

The 3rd clownfish i remember was swimming fine at the fishstore but 2 days in my tank, it killed one of my two clownfishs (B) then newly bought clownfish C died. and finally clownfish A.

So... i went to my LFS before i posted anything online and they told me that it could be diseased. they told me to treat my fish if it was still alive but i told them it all died. and they told me it was fine to add new fishes :angry:

So i picked up the last clownfish in their tank (partially damaged)

and 2 days in my tank it died.

That was 1.5 weeks before i cured my tank

yesterday i went to my LFS to pick up pairclownfish and a nem... not the same fish from the beginning.

cheryl jordan

The fact that you have tried to add a third clown fish to a tank that already has two is not good. And I am glad you took the time to treat your tank, did you ever find out what the problem was? People just want to know that you are acting in a responsible manner in taking care of your fish. I hope the clown fish and the nem works out for you, that being said anemone are hard to take care of and require a stable established tank and experince in the hobby. If you treated the tank, it is probably still in your LR and could result in the loss of you anemone. What did you treat it with by the way? ;)

northstar1357
The fact that you have tried to add a third clown fish to a tank that already has two is not good. And I am glad you took the time to treat your tank, did you ever find out what the problem was? People just want to know that you are acting in a responsible manner in taking care of your fish. I hope the clown fish and the nem works out for you, that being said anemone are hard to take care of and require a stable established tank and experince in the hobby. If you treated the tank, it is probably still in your LR and could result in the loss of you anemone. What did you treat it with by the way? ;)

I did for some of the rocks because not all the works fit in my pico. i saw a bristle worm today. I have invested a lot of my resources into my tank and i have worked really hard to keep my first two clownfish.

I think the demise of my tank was caused by introducing the last clownfish (most likely diseased with internal parasite before i put it in my tank).

Thanks for giving me tips to cure my tank. Should i boil all my live rocks and threw away my live sand? I am still using the same livesand from before and i've washed it after putting the medicine.

cheryl jordan

Again can not tell you unless I know what you treated it with and what for. Washing your sand and rock in anything other than SW will result in a completely new cycle. I would test every day for awhile, especially with the new addition. ;)

northstar1357
If that's the good news, I'm eagerly awaiting the bad news. :huh:

Really need to find a diagnosis man. I'm hoping you run out of money before the clownfish supply runs out. ;)

I ran out of money already... I am in the process of applying to graduate school. The application fees. well with that money i can probably buy another 100 to 200 clownfish and put them in my tank...

Again can not tell you unless I know what you treated it with and what for. Washing your sand and rock in anything other than SW will result in a completely new cycle. I would test every day for awhile, especially with the new addition. ;)

My coralline algae is still attached to my wall and rocks will they all disappear soon?. I washed my deflector and it turned white after 4 days

Archived