SaltCritters.com

Starting a 10 Gallon Reef

Anthonymatheson

Anthonymatheson

Ok so soon after Christmas I will be starting a 10 Gallon Reef tank and I just wanted to share what I was thinking about for the tank. I plan to try to do it on a $ 500 dollar budget or so not including corals yet. Any equipment suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the equipment I plan to get:

Standard 10 Gallon Tank (already own)

100 Watt Heater (already own)

Koralia Nano(being Shipped to me)

18" Current 40w T-5HO (Anybody have any used ones theywould sell me for the same price?)

10 LBS Live Sand

12 LBS Live Rock

Blue LED lights

DFS model 25 HOB w/ surface skimmer (anybody want to sell me a good filter for the same price?)

Also I was wondering if this setup would need a protein skimmer, and if it would need a protein skimmer I would decide to go with a 5 gallon sump tank so I could put the protein skimmer, and heater in it to make the tank look nicer. Also if I did a sump I would need a overflow, any suggestions on that?

I plan to have 1 or 2 true or false percs

and another small fish.

Also a CUC and a bumble bee shrimp as well and sexy shrimp!.

Thanks for the help any input would be greatly appreciated!

Anthonymatheson

Also the first corals I may get at the start are:

Green Favia

OctoSpawn

Orange Sun Coral

Blue Florida Ricordea

Orange Zoa

Pink Zoa

Green Button

Yellow Polyp

Pink Mushrooms

Green Star Polyps

Kenya Tree

Bubble Coral

Several Acans

More types of Favia

scubasteve2580
Also the first corals I may get at the start are:

Green Favia

OctoSpawn

Orange Sun Coral

Blue Florida Ricordea

Orange Zoa

Pink Zoa

Green Button

Yellow Polyp

Pink Mushrooms

Green Star Polyps

Kenya Tree

Bubble Coral

Several Acans

More types of Favia

dont really see where you would need a k-nano and a k-1 in a 10 gallon.. i would just get a k-nano. thats all i have and i have sps in my tank too. sounds like youre off to a good start. you will love the t5's. i started with one nova and ended up buying 2 more and diy'ing my own light fixture that is freaken awsome.

Anthonymatheson
dont really see where you would need a k-nano and a k-1 in a 10 gallon.. i would just get a k-nano. thats all i have and i have sps in my tank too. sounds like youre off to a good start. you will love the t5's. i started with one nova and ended up buying 2 more and diy'ing my own light fixture that is freaken awsome.

Ok that sounds good I'll just get a Koralia Nano... do you have a protein skimmer on your tank?

scubasteve2580
Ok that sounds good I'll just get a Koralia Nano... do you have a protein skimmer on your tank?

no just weekly water changes. here is an older pic.. i have alot mroe stuff now but youll get the idea

newlight001.jpg

light2.jpg

ive taken out those power heads and added the k-nano plus about 20 more pieces and some live rock

Anthonymatheson

Thanks for the cool pictures!

So I'll just get a Koralia Nano

18" Current 40w T-5HO

10 LBS Live Sand

12 LBS Live Rock

Blue LED lights

DFS model 25 HOB w/ surface skimmer

and I wont need a protein skimmer. So that will be all I should need for equipment?

personally i would go to a 15g or 20h to get the much more desirable 24" length. the problem with the 18" bulbs is there only made by current so your limited to poor color choises and about half the par of a good bulb. the price for the light will be about the same and its pretty cheap for a 20 gallon tank, i think mine was under $35 form the lfs. i started with a 10 gallon and soon upgraded to the 20h. i also ran a single nano in my 10 and it was nowhere near enough flow by its self. it couldnt even blow from 1 side to the other. i ended up buying a k1 to replace it and than use both of them in my 20 when i switched tanks.

just from experance i would change a few things before you spend to much on what you have. save your 10 gallon for a sump, it fits perfect in the base of a 20h aga stand (just load from the top)

scubasteve2580

personally i would go to a 15g or 20h to get the much more desirable 24" length. the problem with the 18" bulbs is there only made by current so your limited to poor color choises and about half the par of a good bulb. the price for the light will be about the same and its pretty cheap for a 20 gallon tank, i think mine was under $35 form the lfs. i started with a 10 gallon and soon upgraded to the 20h. i also ran a single nano in my 10 and it was nowhere near enough flow by its self. it couldnt even blow from 1 side to the other. i ended up buying a k1 to replace it and than use both of them in my 20 when i switched tanks.

just from experance i would change a few things before you spend to much on what you have. save your 10 gallon for a sump, it fits perfect in the base of a 20h aga stand (just load from the top)

[/quote

with all do respect i completely disagree with your statment regarding the k-nano. thats all i have for flow in my 10 gallon and i have alot of rockwork as well as livestock including 11 species of sps, 6 species of lps, and 14 different zoas, along with a cabbage leather and xenia. with all that being said i do agree with the upgrade to 20 simply because you run out of room in 10 gallon pretty quickly. also.. current is releasing the new bulbs for the 18 watt very soon. this year soon. i for one am a fan of the t5's. awsome color rendition.

Anthonymatheson

I just bought a K Nano on one of these forums. I will see if that will be good enough and if not I will update to a K1if there is not enough flow. I assume it will depend on the rock formation I have. Also I do have a 23 G tank that I plan to use in a year or two. But as for now I have to start with a 10 G because there is not enough room in my apartment this year for it. Or I will have to get a good stand later on when I upgrade to the 23 and the 10 will be my sump. I am trying to do this tank as a basic sort of contest tank with as little money spent as possible but not actually in a contest. As for the lights as long as I can grow some Acans, Zoas and few other things I am happy. Also I was thinking of doing a Aqua Clear filter as well and turning it into a fuge in the future.

Anthonymatheson
I just bought a K Nano on one of these forums. I will see if that will be good enough and if not I will update to a K1if there is not enough flow. I assume it will depend on the rock formation I have. Also I do have a 23 G tank that I plan to use in a year or two. But as for now I have to start with a 10 G because there is not enough room in my apartment this year for it. Or I will have to get a good stand later on when I upgrade to the 23 and the 10 will be my sump. I am trying to do this tank as a basic sort of contest tank with as little money spent as possible but not actually in a contest. As for the lights as long as I can grow some Acans, Zoas and few other things I am happy. Also I was thinking of doing a Aqua Clear filter as well and turning it into a fuge in the future.

Bump

I wanna see if anybody else has some input?

skimlessinseattle

I would definitely consider the AC70 for a fuge mod. The nitrate and phospate reduction will have a dramatic effect on nuisance algae. There are plenty of mods to look at online.

Anthonymatheson
+1 to the AC70. It's a big deal.

Is there any other filters that would be ideal for a fuge mod or is it just commonly the AC70?

Thanks for the replies!

The AC70 is super easy to mod and moderately priced. I have one with a K-1 in my 10 gal, plenty of flow. For lighting I would go with the 24" current model, it has slight overhang but it still looks nice. The bulbs for the 24" will be much easier to find. Also don't forget to put a digital thermometer and a magnet cleaner on your list.

Anthonymatheson
The AC70 is super easy to mod and moderately priced. I have one with a K-1 in my 10 gal, plenty of flow. For lighting I would go with the 24" current model, it has slight overhang but it still looks nice. The bulbs for the 24" will be much easier to find. Also don't forget to put a digital thermometer and a magnet cleaner on your list.

Ok great thats what I was thinking I will go with the AC70 fuge mod. Would I need another filter other than this or would this be enough filtration for the tank?

I might look into the 24" current model although I think when I bought one of my saltwater tanks I think it came with a 24" lighting system that has odyssea lights in it but I dont think it is that brand of lighting.

Mod the AC70 and put a K-1 in there and you'll be good to go. I'd put some Purigen in the AC70 once you've got critters in there. Add some Chaeto if you'd like with an inTank submersible light for added benefit. Good luck, it's a fun hobby.

Anthonymatheson
Mod the AC70 and put a K-1 in there and you'll be good to go. I'd put some Purigen in the AC70 once you've got critters in there. Add some Chaeto if you'd like with an inTank submersible light for added benefit. Good luck, it's a fun hobby.

ok now I know what I need for the equipment. Thanks for the help!

Has anybody had experience with bumble bee shrimp or a sexy shirmp and would they be okay with 2 clowns and a goby I think?

I was looking at the green or yellow goby or a watchman goby.

I also like the 6 line wrasse and the christmas wrasse. I just want my tank to have a lot of color and be full or life. Any suggestions if I don't go with a pair of clowns?

Thanks for all the help everybody!

Anthonymatheson

Looking at these different kinds of fish trying to decide?

Black and white Clown fish

False Perc Clown Fish

Christmas Wrasse

Six Line Wrasse

Yellow Clown Goby

Green Clown Goby

Yellow Tail Blue Damsel

Yellow Watchman Goby

Some kind of Blenny?

Bumble bee shrimp

Sexy Shrimp

post-47966-1258946044_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946060_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946067.jpg

post-47966-1258946073_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946082_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946088_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946099_thumb.jpg

post-47966-1258946104.jpg

post-47966-1258946111_thumb.jpg

Anthonymatheson

So after looking online I found a local person who sells live rock for 2.90 a pound. So I think I am deciding to use my 23 G tank instead of my 10 G for my first saltwater setup and use the 10 G as a fuge and sump.

I plan on making my overflow using a regular fish tank filter and tubing that will drain down into my sump/fuge and then later be pumped back up by a water pump which I already have, using 1/2" plastic tubing.

So I did a rethought on what equipment I will need:

Koralia 1 (around $ 30)

Koralia Nano (around $26)

24" Current 48W T-5HO ($60)

18" Current 40W T-5HO (later on for my fuge)($50) Unless I can find a cheaper fuge light that is smaller.

35 Lbs Live Sand ($30)

25 Lbs Live Rock ($72.5)

Blue LED Lights (?)

1/2" Tubing ($5)

Pump(free)

10 G tank (free)

23 G tank (free)

Filter (free)

Heater(free)

Also will need bio balls, hydrometer, PH test kits, other testing Kits etc.

also may plan to get a protein skimmer later on.

So let me know what you think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for looking! :lol:

skimlessinseattle

Good move I think on the bump up to the 23g. You could always do a 10g display fuge above your display tank. It simplifies the plumbing as you pump up to the display fuge, and it's gravity fed down to the display tank. You can still put a skimmer on the fuge and move the heater up there as well. Just an option. Some people have cool looking display fuges with really cool macro algaes. Otherwise a traditional sump is a tried and true option that isn't really much more difficult. If you go with a traditional sump though, you will have less area for macros with the bubble traps and such. I have a 10g gravity drained display fuge that only has a durso standpipe in it. The rest is open space for rock, sand and macro....a lot to consider ;)

If you go with a display fuge over the tank, I can help you out if needed.

Good luck! Get excited!

Anthonymatheson
Good move I think on the bump up to the 23g. You could always do a 10g display fuge above your display tank. It simplifies the plumbing as you pump up to the display fuge, and it's gravity fed down to the display tank. You can still put a skimmer on the fuge and move the heater up there as well. Just an option. Some people have cool looking display fuges with really cool macro algaes. Otherwise a traditional sump is a tried and true option that isn't really much more difficult. If you go with a traditional sump though, you will have less area for macros with the bubble traps and such. I have a 10g gravity drained display fuge that only has a durso standpipe in it. The rest is open space for rock, sand and macro....a lot to consider ;)

If you go with a display fuge over the tank, I can help you out if needed.

Good luck! Get excited!

Thanks I was actually thinking of just doing a fuge instead of a sump/fuge so I'll keep you informed to let you know what I decide and I would love some help on it. I assume that I will go with just a fuge but Im not sure if it will be under it or above it yet.

Also I just measured my 23 Gallon tank and it is 24 " long, 12.3" wide and 17" tall.... I don't really like those dimensions.. hmm Im not sure whatt to do now. Might go with a 10 Gallon display tank and a 23 gallon fuge for growing corals and etc but I am not sure. hmm what shall I do?

Anthonymatheson

Bump

How would a 10 gallon display and a 23 gallon fuge that is 17" tall look? any ideas...hmm I just dont think i like the look of a 17" tall 23 gallon for a main display when it is 12.5 or 13 " wide...

• 2 weeks later...

Start setting things up. There's only one way to know how it's all gonna look, and that's trial and error.

I just recently setup a 10 gallon. With an AC70 fuge mod, surface skimmer attachment (not a protein skimmer, just an attachment for the AC70 that cleans the waters surface), Koralia One (tons of flow in my opinion) and the 24" nova extreme. Basically everything your planning.

I would ditch the sump plans for now, start simple... as you keep your tank running you can slowly work out your larger tank plans. That way you can have a small tank to start doing things with, like water changes, maintenance, and coral and fish care. Basically practice... you do need to watch a smaller tank carefully, so the high attention to detail (if your up to it) can make larger tanks seem easier... this is what I'm hoping anyways. All the liverock, fish, coral, powerheads, filters can be reused on the upgrade.

Also, you don't want to spend a fortune on your first try. Things are gonna go wrong, your gonna wish you did something different... if you read threads on here, people change things 500 times before finally getting it right. Just to have something change and do 500 different things. It is the nature of the hobby.

Also, the little search bar up in the right corner is your new best friend. Search every possible question, they've all been asked. and if all else fails, there's thousands of nice folks around here.

Good luck and have fun. Check out my thread below \/\/\/

Archived