inTank Media Baskets

Bongo Shrimp's 29g Reef

Bongo Shrimp

How did they do their first night?

They did fine. Now they have moved into different areas of the tank and are waiting to be fed. Will be uploading video of feeding soon.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
They did fine. Now they have moved into different areas of the tank and are waiting to be fed. Will be uploading video of feeding soon.

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Can't Wait!

• 2 weeks later...
animalmaster6
I'm cleaning today or tomorrow and will get some pics up today or tomorrow. Just got a bobbit worm out of the tank last night.

SANY0111.jpg

That worm is HUGE! CAn't wait for pics!!!!!

Well one clown is officially MIA and is presumed dead. I will get another when I come back from vacation in two weeks from saturday. Feel bad for him. Also still battling cyano on the sand.

On the other hand two of my copperbanded cardinals are spawning and I will be getting my Cree LED retro kit when I come back too!

New pics:

_DSC0053.jpg

_DSC0055.jpg

_DSC0058.jpg

_DSC0059.jpg

_DSC0060.jpg

_DSC0064.jpg

_DSC0061.jpg

_DSC0073.jpg

_DSC0075.jpg

_DSC0077-1.jpg

_DSC0079.jpg

_DSC0080.jpg

I really like your livestock selection, but have one critcism; no mermaids?

Thanks guys. And if you can find me a mermaid that will fit in my 29g I'll add it in. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Bongo, please tell me more about your feather star. I just got one, it had been doing well at my LFS for 6 months... they said that they did not feed it anything but cyclopleeze. So kinda similar to yours. How often do you feed? Do you use frozen, freeze dried, both? Do you spot feed or broadcast feed? What is flow like during feeding? What about when not feeding?

Lots of questions, I know :) Thanks!

Ok, first of all, I would not have bought it unless it was already a year old in captivity. Most will do fine until the 1 year mark when they just start to fall apart. It's hard for me to believe that it eats cyclopeeze unless it is the exact same one I have. Only reason is that each different one eats something different. When I feed, the flow is the same, it never changes and I never turn it off (except for water changes). And I always spot feed separate from feeding the rest of the tank. Hope yours lives. We'll know how well it is doing on the one year in captivity mark. The reason is that they usually die very slowly, usually taking a year before you notice how it is doing. All we can do since you bought it already is to do the best we can to keep it healthy.

Thanks for the info Bongo. I am also skeptical about the cyclopleeze, its just what the LFS said. I did try to spot feed, it caught some and looked like it wanted to eat it but I don't know if it did. I know it released a lot that it caught but some were carried towards the mouth. I feed the rest of my tank cyclopleeze anyway so I'll continue to try it but otherwise just hope that the other foods I am dosing are being eaten.

Thanks for the info Bongo. I am also skeptical about the cyclopleeze, its just what the LFS said. I did try to spot feed, it caught some and looked like it wanted to eat it but I don't know if it did. I know it released a lot that it caught but some were carried towards the mouth. I feed the rest of my tank cyclopleeze anyway so I'll continue to try it but otherwise just hope that the other foods I am dosing are being eaten.

You dose so much food, if you can't keep a featherstar nobody can... except Bongo Shrimp of course :)

You dose so much food, if you can't keep a featherstar nobody can... except Bongo Shrimp of course :)

Well I'm a little discouraged right now because if they take a year to show deterioration it could already be too far gone to rescue no matter what I do. I have emailed Claude of Fauna Marin for his advice. He has kept several of these successfully for years and since I dose a lot of his foods I'm hoping he can help.

Well I'm a little discouraged right now because if they take a year to show deterioration it could already be too far gone to rescue no matter what I do. I have emailed Claude of Fauna Marin for his advice. He has kept several of these successfully for years and since I dose a lot of his foods I'm hoping he can help.

I would add more variety to your food in the reactor, if you can.

Such a unique livestock selection and great selection of corals.

My LFS has a multicolored (really looks like a rainbow) feather star and have always been wondering about it.

Feather stars are very unique because they will "taste" the food meaning they will grab it, and if it is too big, too small, tastes bad... they will let it go. They are very selective of their foods. Heck, mine might not even be eating the cyclopeeze and may be eating something else in the water that I don't even know about. Just feed different things and see what happens. I wish I had some magic solution to keep them but I really can't tell you much. A lot of it is luck.

And socaldude, get a pic of the feather star at your LFS and post a thread with it. I always tell people as a rule of thumb- Take your camera to the LFS when ever you go because you never know what you may see.

• 2 weeks later...
Bongo Shrimp

Well the feather star seems to be doing better after moving across the tank. And I'm so excited!!! I just ordered a new toy!!! A Reefkeeper Elite!!!

I'm getting the 5.6 nanotuners upgrade for my reef and the RKE will control the lights to do everything from sunrise and sunset to the moon cycles with the lunar lights. It will also do auto top off too. AND- I will run chords across the room to the lagoon tank so I will be able to control and monitor it as well- all with one RKE.

Eventually, when I regain all my $$$ because this is not a cheap investment, I will get the NET module for the RKE which will alow me to monitor and control both tanks on the computer wherever there is an internet connection!

I'm so excited!

Well the feather star seems to be doing better after moving across the tank. And I'm so excited!!! I just ordered a new toy!!! A Reefkeeper Elite!!!

I'm getting the 5.6 nanotuners upgrade for my reef and the RKE will control the lights to do everything from sunrise and sunset to the moon cycles with the lunar lights. It will also do auto top off too. AND- I will run chords across the room to the lagoon tank so I will be able to control and monitor it as well- all with one RKE.

Eventually, when I regain all my $$$ because this is not a cheap investment, I will get the NET module for the RKE which will alow me to monitor and control both tanks on the computer wherever there is an internet connection!

I'm so excited!

show off

sending a pm

Archived