SaltCritters.com

Strawberry Anemone Question

Wendy

Can anyone verify for me that this is a Strawberry Anemone? I also need to know if they are harmful to my soft corals, because they are spreading.

post-41647-1258161284_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of another one...

post-41647-1258161651_thumb.jpg

90% sure, touch it. if it has a skeleton, it is a Large Polyped Stony, if it doesn't have a skeleton, and a red pedal disk, it's a Corynactis Californica, Strawberry nem.

They are a tropical relative of strawberry anemones - Corynactis or Pseudocorynactis sp.

They do sting, but aren't invasive like Aiptasia, and people don't usually have problems with them. If they get really big they can eat fish, but I don't think that's the species you have. How big are they now?

edit: for clarification, strawberries are a coldwater species. If this is a topical tank, it is impossible that these are C. californica. They cannot survive in warm water.

Yeah, I really don't want to touch it & they are only 3/4 of an inch spread out.

I've had my tank set up going on 15 months & 1st dicovered one a few months back; now there are about a dozen on the backs & underneath my rocks. And, yes, I have a tropical tank that stays 77-78 degrees.

Oh & thanks for the fast replys!

OK so I have ball anemones that will stay in low light areas, hopefully. I am planning to start up a new tank in a month or so, should I try to get these guys off my rocks or just leave them be?

Could they possibly be a big pest? I guess I need to go do some research....

Archived