237 replies to this topic

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan

I'm trying out one of the all-in-one picos made by our very own cdelicath as a replacement for the pico I made for myself a few years back. It was a neat concept, but had several flaws that I wasn't too thrilled about any more. Deli asked me one day to try out one of his new tanks and I saw this as a perfect oportunity to get rid of my old tank, and try something new. Anyway, lets get started with some pictures

Posted Image
Full tank dimensions are 12"x8"x8", which works out to about 3.5g. Display is only 6" deep for a 2.3g display. The entire tank is cut from cast acrylic.

Posted Image
The false wall is black acrylic and has a small grate for the entrance into the back chambers on the right, and the return outlet from the pump on the left.

Posted Image
Nice little decal on the corner. Glue seams are pretty good. A few bubbles here and there, but nothing distracting.

Posted Image
Back chambers are pretty simple. First chamber is great for a heater. The overflow in to the second chamber has a small media basket that is great for holding filter floss, sponge, or even a small bag of carbon/gfo/etc... Second chamber is good as a fuge, or additional chemical filtration.

Posted Image
Last chamber houses the pump. It's a Rio200 (200gph) and it's pretty quiet after about a week of break-in. The flow is adjustable, but it's a little hard to get to with the pump in the tank. Flow is actually almost a little too much, so the adjustment is very welcome.

Posted Image
One very welcome feature is the water level viewing window on the left side of the sump on chamber three. Makes it very easy to see your waterlevel for top off. As always, an ATO is always advised for such a small tank.

Anyway, I've had the tank for a few months now and everything is cycled. I have about 2lbs of Haitian LR and an 1-1/2" sandbed in there.

Posted Image
Gratuitous cycling photo. It was pretty nasty in there.

All of that nastyness is cleaned up now and I have a few frags in there.

Posted Image
Bambams

Posted Image
Micro frag of frogspawn.

Not much in there right now, but I will be putting more in soon. I'm trying to go a little heavier on sps on this one and I'm still figuring out how I can dose the tank in a compact way.

Posted Image
FTS.

Lighting is the old LED setup I had over the last tank. I'm working on coming up with something new and far better suited for this tank.

Bottom line, I love this tank so far. It's well built, well thought out, and works beautifully.

reeftankguy

reeftankguy

(censored) Stugots II

• Premium Members
  • 4,277 posts
  • Joined 15 Jan 2009
I like! Great write up Evil! ;)

-Thanks for the advice but what I really need are minions -

schg

schg

aaaaahhhhhhhhh!

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2009
  • Philadelphia, PA
Great write up, good to see some better photos of this tank. Can't wait to see this one progress.

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

viva la vida

• Moderators
  • 23,270 posts
  • Joined 07 Nov 2007
  • SoHendo
Awesome tank. ;)

badfish816

badfish816

my spoon is too big!!

• Members
  • 1,499 posts
  • Joined 02 Aug 2009
  • KC, MO
sweet pico. those bams bams look amazing.

badfish.jpg

32068_1376357342295_1632715631_8857.jpgbeyond pollution

cdelicath

cdelicath

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,129 posts
  • Joined 13 Nov 2007
  • Illinois
Thanks for the review Evil :D

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
You are very welcome. I hope I can do your good work justice :)

cdelicath

cdelicath

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,129 posts
  • Joined 13 Nov 2007
  • Illinois
I don't know about you but I think I like the glass better. I already have a few scratches in mine from cleaning. :rant: Not bad but I know they are there. You got any war wounds in yours yet?

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
Not yet. I made my own algea scraper back when I started my last acrylic pico and it uses felt for the cleaning surface. Another trick I learned was to put a small square of felt under the mag cleaner. It still gets the gunk off, but is a lot less abusive on the acrylic. It's also a good way to help scrape off coraline algae.

cdelicath

cdelicath

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,129 posts
  • Joined 13 Nov 2007
  • Illinois
cool I will try that

Nemo Niblets

Nemo Niblets

Teen Reefers Suck

• Members
  • 4,327 posts
  • Joined 13 Aug 2009
  • banned <3 adin
Very nice! Do you manually top off?
Posted Image

CLICK ME

I just sold some Noob 25 yellow polyps for $100 :ninja:

illuminano

illuminano

Click My Signature To See My Tank

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • Joined 08 Aug 2007
  • Toronto, Ontario
Not bad, but for 190 dollars? Plus shipping and no lighting? They want 260 dollars for the LED lighting as well? That seems unreasonable, correct me if i'm wrong.
Posted Image

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
Nope. Learned a long time ago that an ATO is a must on this tiny tanks.

jestersix

jestersix

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 03 May 2009
  • Visalia, CA
On pricing, I paid $85 for a PAR20 Pico Lamp from Evil for my 1.25...so I think these are a pretty good deal considering. I'm running the LEDs on my Baracuda love them - being able to dim the lights is worth alot to me + the PAR to graow pretty much anything I want, and they look freaking COOL. Just my 2 cents worth...

the evil empire of reefscaping...

glennr1978

glennr1978

one proud dad!

• Members
  • 11,490 posts
  • Joined 30 Nov 2006
Cool little tank!

I'd recommend the BRS dosing pumps to keep up with the SPS demand. The one I got doses 1.1ml per minute, perfect for these small tanks. My tank is currently only using 4.4ml of alk per day (and even less Ca). At that rate, my 1g jugs of b-ionics should last a couple of years, lol.

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
I have something in the works for dosing. They should be showing up today :)

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
Got my dosing pumps today. Scored a sweet deal on a bunch of GD-Thomas SR10_50 24v persistaltic pumps rated at 100ml/min. They are tri-rotor pumps too, so no need for check valves. I'm going to start working on an Arduino controller for the lights and the dosing pumps in a while, after I beat my laptop into submission (stupid spyware BS :angry:)

I know 100ml sounds like a lot, but I will pwm the supply voltage to the motor to slow them down quite a ways. I can even run them on 12v if necessary and drop the speed even further.

cdelicath

cdelicath

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,129 posts
  • Joined 13 Nov 2007
  • Illinois
sweet.. you know I will be watching.

Are you using the arduino on the LED's now?

Edited by cdelicath, 24 October 2009 - 04:15 PM.

RENDOG

RENDOG

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 05 Jan 2009
  • Jacksonville, Florida
nice man....who did the lighting? ;)

adolfo425

adolfo425

Web Monkey

• Members
  • 361 posts
  • Joined 30 Jan 2008
  • Fresno Ca
Very sweet pico will be following this thread.

Adolfo is the name and reefing is the game.

34 Gallon Solana Mixed Reef

Member of:
NCRC | BAR | CVR | FRAG

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan

sweet.. you know I will be watching.

Are you using the arduino on the LED's now?

Not right now. This is still the old unit that I built two years ago. It's still using the transistor based linear drivers. Not easily adjustable, but I'll be damned if they haven't been reliable. Next light will be stepping into the 21st century :)

nice man....who did the lighting? ;)

I wonder ;)

cdelicath

cdelicath

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,129 posts
  • Joined 13 Nov 2007
  • Illinois

I wonder ;)

:lol:

I have all my crap sitting in a box still. I haven't had any luck getting the arduino software working on vista. I guess I will have to throw a linux distro on the laptop and dust off the parts. Have we found a better driver for the LED's yet? As far as using PWM at lower levels.I know there's been talk of it but that stuff is over my head :wacko:

Edited by cdelicath, 25 October 2009 - 09:45 AM.

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
No drivers yet that are off the shelf and reasonable cost. The Recom series is equivalent to the Buckpuck, but are a little more expensive.

ajmckay

ajmckay

Wrasses McGee

• Members
  • 4,270 posts
  • Joined 30 Oct 2008
  • Sterling Heights, Michigan
Tank looks nice!

evilc66

evilc66

LED Gawd

• Premium Members
  • 17,883 posts
  • Joined 26 Aug 2007
  • Shelby Twp. Michigan
Thanks bud. I'll have to stop by some time to see your new setup.