Coral Vue Hydros

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll let you know when I am going to be out... maybe even bring a couple little zoa frags for ya. I still gotta get gutsy enough to try and frag anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a frogspawn coral today in an attempt to get my clown something to host other then my powerhead. I also picked up a couple of turbo snails to work on the hair algae that has come about lately.

Here's a pic of the new coral.

post-47700-1260050326_thumb.jpg

My new Armor of Gods and Blue Tubbs.

SWEET! love em both. Good luck with the clown and the frogspawn. That was the same thought I had and the clown decided it liked the group of hairy green mushrooms better.

Nice additions... I guess that trip out there will have to be soon. :)

Clown doesn't seem to be interested in the frogspawn yet. I still have plans on getting a BTA for him. Also, the clown has some kind of virus I believe, Lymphocystis (sp?). Seems to have white bulges coming off his fins and gill.

From what I have read about his symptoms, no matter what it is all I can do is let him deal with it on his own. It really sucks cause I had plans on getting a goby or something this week. I have to let the virus run its course and not introduce anything new for 4-6 weeks I figure to make sure the virus dies off.

So I will focus on the corals I guess. Still looking for some yellow polyps, superman shrooms, toadstool leather and a BTA.

Clown doesn't seem to be interested in the frogspawn yet. I still have plans on getting a BTA for him. Also, the clown has some kind of virus I believe, Lymphocystis (sp?). Seems to have white bulges coming off his fins and gill.

From what I have read about his symptoms, no matter what it is all I can do is let him deal with it on his own. It really sucks cause I had plans on getting a goby or something this week. I have to let the virus run its course and not introduce anything new for 4-6 weeks I figure to make sure the virus dies off.

So I will focus on the corals I guess. Still looking for some yellow polyps, superman shrooms, toadstool leather and a BTA.

clowns aren't gonna go to a frogspawn off the bat... usually they'll host in a anemone-like coral such as a frogspawn, hammer, torch, duncan, etc... but only in a limited sense, it takes several months for them to host them and they probably won't ever host them if there's a BTA or something better around

they all pretty much love BTA's though... and BTA's can look great with good lighting and are pretty hardy (as anemones go at least)

i got one for my maroon clown just the other day and he loves it, took him about 4 days to go to it, but now he rarely leaves it... he sleeps in there all wrapped up in the tentacles.

i have a 20H as well, it's a good first tank. kinda wish i had a 20L, i like the shallower tanks....

my next tank will be a shallow cube for sure... hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine

i like your taste in zoa's

I some new corals today. First one is two heads of Neon Green Hammer and the second is a single head of Blue Spotted Red Shroom. Updated FTS as well. Enjoy!

post-47700-1261200013_thumb.jpg

post-47700-1261200081_thumb.jpg

hammer looks nice... I really like the blue spot mushroom - those spots are... well... blue! Do you know if that type spreads as fast as the purple mushrooms? (Those things turn up everywhere in my tank)

hammer looks nice... I really like the blue spot mushroom - those spots are... well... blue! Do you know if that type spreads as fast as the purple mushrooms? (Those things turn up everywhere in my tank)

Not sure about how fast they spread. I guess we shall wait and see. They really look cool though eh? I have been looking around for them for awhile and my LFS was breaking down a tank and I saw one growing in the sand bed. $5.00 for the head, not a terrible deal I guess.

good luck getting that clown to host the frogspawn

mine decided she wanted to host a toadstool instead... she never hosted anything else

even at that i had the toadstool for 5 months before it hosted it

be weary of the bta in a 20 gal, they do migrate and cause some major damage

just as a heads up

other than that looking good

good luck getting that clown to host the frogspawn

mine decided she wanted to host a toadstool instead... she never hosted anything else

even at that i had the toadstool for 5 months before it hosted it

be weary of the bta in a 20 gal, they do migrate and cause some major damage

just as a heads up

other than that looking good

Ya, I will be watching the nem very closely if/when I get one. I am not going crazy with corals and keeping everything mobile on plugs for now until I get the bta and it figures out where it is happy before placing things. I know things can go south very fast though, but I gotta try eh?

id love to have an anemone in my tank for my clown to play in. I went ahead and mounted all my corals so gettin one now in such a small tank could be disaster. You have the right idea keeping everything mobile until you get one!

Tanks looks great btw! Love thos AOG zoas

If you do get a BTA - I hope you have much better luck than I did... I had one with my last tank - I did not know enough, my tank was WAY too new. Anyway, lesson learned for me - I think if I ever do another anemone it will be in a tank set up specifically for it.

Of course - your tank is still KILLER!

id love to have an anemone in my tank for my clown to play in. I went ahead and mounted all my corals so gettin one now in such a small tank could be disaster. You have the right idea keeping everything mobile until you get one!

Tanks looks great btw! Love thos AOG zoas

Thanks, I can't wait until they start growing.

@ Latteslave- Ya, I have been thinking about my tank not being matured enough yet, but I think it can handle it. A nem specific tank would be cool.

Thanks, I can't wait until they start growing.

@ Latteslave- Ya, I have been thinking about my tank not being matured enough yet, but I think it can handle it. A nem specific tank would be cool.

wait till your tank is older ... seriously its worth it

wait till your tank is older ... seriously its worth it

Lol, it's like my parents telling me to wait for something. I will be waiting a little while to get a new one for sure, but that only means that I will be buying more coral or fish (unless my perc doesn't get over this disease that it has :( ). I am currently holding off on buying a Suntail Goby and Firefish until it clears up as I don't want it to spread.

Speaking of which, here is a pic. I have been roaming around a couple of forums trying to figure out what to do about this. I have come to the conclusion that it is lymphocystis or some type of fungus but that is based mostly on a semi-educated guess. I have been told to give the clown some dips in a hydroplex/tank water combination.

Give me some opinions.

post-47700-1261297005_thumb.jpg

post-47700-1261297012_thumb.jpg

Sucks about your clown. You keep your temp high enough? Read they are prone to various things if the tank is running cool. My clowns hosted my Koralia's as well, but don't seem to have the same love for the MP10. Waiting to see what they'll do, so far they still hang around in the corner the ph's were in, but do swim around the tank from time to time. Goofy fish! Thought about getting a wrasse? Wicked cool fish.

Dude, the BTA - enjoyable for about two days. Then it starts wandering around looking for a comfortable spot and stinging everything in its path. Then it shrivels up to the size of a golf ball. You think it's dead and about to nuke your tank, but no it's just taking a crap. Couple days later it does it again and again you think it's lights out for the tank... Read up on what happens if/when they die if you haven't already.

I didn't have the nerves for it and got rid of the thing...

Speaking of which, here is a pic. I have been roaming around a couple of forums trying to figure out what to do about this. I have come to the conclusion that it is lymphocystis or some type of fungus but that is based mostly on a semi-educated guess. I have been told to give the clown some dips in a hydroplex/tank water combination.

Give me some opinions.

I looked through a few threads - think you are right on the lymphocystis... There are quite a few "remedies" out there (including scrubbing your fish with a q-tip!) Hope you get it taken care of and the clown pulls through.

Lol, it's like my parents telling me to wait for something.

...look both ways before crossing the street and eat your vegetables. ;)

At the advice of a local reefer, I did a Hydroplex dip with the clown. He did not like it one bit, but after I re-scaped a little tonight (I took a rock out that was bugging me and moved things a little) the lumps just fell off him. No traces left on the clown other then some tattered fins where it was. So awesome. So I will be waiting a couple of weeks for for the clown to get it's strength back and I will go and get me a 6line wrasse or a goby to complete the fish stocking.

I guess I got rid of the old pic. O well, out with the old and in the with the new! lol

I am struggling to figure out what corals I should be getting for this tank. I want a couple of leathers (toadstool and kenya) and I will be getting a couple of acroporas later on.

I just need to figure out placement. Anyone have any suggestions? BTW, right after this pic was taken, I moved the frogspawn into the middle of the tank on on the flat spot because it was not opening up well on the left side.

Help me out here :)

Archived