Innovative Marine Aquariums

Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mikeymikemike

Tank is nice but easy to replicate by anyone who have unlimited access to Coral colonies.

I just saw this comment after looking back at the posts...

I'm going to make this very clear. You have made a false assumption.

The truth is, keeping this tank is NOT easy, replicating this tank is NOT easy. Far from it. It requires hundreds of hours of work, study, planning, observation and maintenance.

This tank is a culmination of years of efforts and experience that I brought into reef-keeping as an aquatic plants aquascaper. I have access to corals the same way all other Australians do and corals have come into this tank brown and are now looking healthier and more colourful than ever. Not just "anyone" is able to do that.

Fact; everyone has the ability to put rocks and sand together, but not everyone has the artistic capacity, diligence or even competency to make it aesthetically pleasing, workable and more importably thriving.

To suggest that this is easy to replicate or accomplish undermines the work that goes into it creating and up-keeping this tank from the beginning to where it is now.

You cannot even begin to imagine how much effort has gone into this scape. You may have seen the pictures but you have failed to see the process.

• Like 14

I just saw this comment after looking back at the posts...

I'm going to make this very clear. You have made a false assumption.

The truth is, keeping this tank is NOT easy, replicating this tank is NOT easy. Far from it. It requires hundreds of hours of work, study, planning, observation and maintenance.

This tank is a culmination of years of efforts and experience that I brought into reef-keeping as an aquatic plants aquascaper. I have access to corals the same way all other Australians do and corals have come into this tank brown and are now looking healthier and more colourful than ever. Not just "anyone" is able to do that.

Fact; everyone has the ability to put rocks and sand together, but not everyone has the artistic capacity, diligence or even competency to make it aesthetically pleasing, workable and more importably thriving.

To suggest that this is easy to replicate or accomplish undermines the work that goes into it creating and up-keeping this tank from the beginning to where it is now.

You cannot even begin to imagine how much effort has gone into this scape. You may have seen the pictures but you have failed to see the process.

Your scaping is an incredible. Like mind boggling ?

I think some people are just jealous/a little resentful that you have access to such large colonies, instead of the over priced little nubs we deal with. But your care is on point to bring out the coral health and color we see.

So their point is that here the nominations are based a lot on growth of corals, from frags to colonies. But that's not what reefkeeping is, nowhere do I read you have to start with frags! Healthy thriving corals and unbelievable scape is worth a nomination IMO

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Growth and longevity is a good measure of success and I know everyone here also understands it is not the only factor as we all know there's a lot more to this hobby. Otherwise we are better served with pictures of frag tanks.

Everyone starts with something. I think comments such as the one I addressed actually undermines a lot of the hard work that everyone on this website puts into their tanks. (it probably was not a very thoughtful comment either). The latest winner is a great example of a beautiful tank from start to finish in a year. I'm sure Brad would be offended if someone said "Anyone with access to unlimited algae could easily replicate that tank".

I personally appreciate all works here. As much as reefing is science, mechanics, engineering, biology and husbandry; I want to encourage people to continue thinking about reefing as an avenue for aquascaping and art. That was my mission from the start, to transfer what I know from competitive aquascaping planted tanks to the marine side of the hobby.

I can think of at least half a dozen tanks on here that should go up next so keep celebrating and appreciating successful and beautiful tanks as there are many more to look out for.

• Like 6
flatlandreefer

My vote is for both pongpit and mikeymike. I think they both represent two very unique types of tanks that are very different than most found throughout the hobby. I think mikeymike showcases exceptional aquascaping that would take years of experience in the hobby(fresh or saltwater) to hone. I think his aquascaping is also a tribute to his ability to paint his aquascape with larger colonies in a way that looks natural and visually appealing while maintaining the appearance that those colonies are meant to be there and not just awkwardly placed like most would struggle with. I also think mike has proven that he has met the requirements of the corals to allow them to thrive which would also be a big task for the average hobbyist given his livestock.

I think pongpits pico is a testament to what can be done in the hobby and to see a system thrive both physically and visually is really amazing given the size of his setup. I think it is setups like this that keep this site interesting and keep moving the hobby forward.

• Like 1

The latest winner is a great example of a beautiful tank from start to finish in a year. I'm sure Brad would be offended if someone said "Anyone with access to unlimited algae could easily replicate that tank".

Mangroves/plants were grown over 2+ years in two different tanks, then I combined the two a year ago for the current tank.

Anyone could replicate my tank with ease, and that was kind of the goal. But I definitely get your point.

• Like 5

Growth and longevity is a good measure of success and I know everyone here also understands it is not the only factor as we all know there's a lot more to this hobby. Otherwise we are better served with pictures of frag tanks.

It was a comment from a low post user with no history of even keeping bubble algae alive. :) He or she probably doesn't understand the instant parameter shifts that can be caused by adding colonies in a small water volume or even how impressive it is to keep an icefire alive, much less in a smaller tank subject to parameter swings if even the smallest mistake is made.

So I just ignored it. ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am going to try and nominate Mark's 40B again. I know he is not into being the featured reef profile. The reason I am nominating his tank again is there is so much that can be learned by its story. Its been running since October 2012 and has seen ups and downs. Its an honest lesson in perseverence and has truly become a beauty. I hope you will reconsider Mark.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations