Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

Why don't you set a poll each month

I use the same format forum for the car club I'm in

Each month the admin allow us to add a photo

Normally with a subject like reflection etc

No chat separate thread for chatting over wise it gets cluttered

Then you get a true vote result

Why don't you set a poll each month I use the same format forum for the car club I'm in Each month the admin allow us to add a photo Normally with a subject like reflection etc No chat separate thread for chatting over wise it gets cluttered Then you get a true vote result

Well I think the original intention of the thread was for nominations. Although everyone treats it as a vote Chistopher Marks still makes the final decision - which I think has worked out fairly well. And the vote would ruin the surprise that I look forward to every month haha.

Tony

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

I know TOTM's here are preferably under 40 gallons, but mother-of-mercy this one is amazing!

Markalot's 150

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/347707-marks-150-72x18x27/

Thanks, but way too big. It's also not as good as MikeTR's 180 IMO.

15382883691_a780e9fc17_b.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/300592-wholotta-wawa-180g-reef/page-44#entry4841573

I think big tanks just look more impressive, it's hard to get nanos to look good IMO, that's where the real talent comes in, but I do appreciate the shout out.

• Like 2

I really like the 4x5 tank, but I'd like to see it mature just a bit more before being recognized. I feel like the TOTM should be given to a tank at its absolute peak and I feel like the Made in Africa tank could get so much better if it's given a few a few more months or a year to mature. Think about when ReHype's 20 gallon shallow got recognized here. It was an amazing tank at that point, but it didn't reach it's legendary peak until about a year after it was the monthly reef profile. Feel free to disagree with me.

• Like 5
Spiderguardnano

4x5 gets my vote he has everything nano-reef he has the t5 nano box hybrid he has the shallow tank with amazing growth and everything was documented

4x5 tank pretty much was a guide line for how i run my tank

• Like 1

I really like the 4x5 tank, but I'd like to see it mature just a bit more before being recognized. I feel like the TOTM should be given to a tank at its absolute peak and I feel like the Made in Africa tank could get so much better if it's given a few a few more months or a year to mature. Think about when ReHype's 20 gallon shallow got recognized here. It was an amazing tank at that point, but it didn't reach it's legendary peak until about a year after it was the monthly reef profile. Feel free to disagree with me.

This is very true. Chris asked me to be TOTM just after my 1 year birthday and I didn't do the feature until my tank was over 2 years old. My tank is still running and maturing and could look totally different 2 years from now. 4x5s and a lot of other 1-2 year tanks are still stabilizing and just starting to grow out. It takes awhile to really hit the prime.

• Like 4

This is very true. Chris asked me to be TOTM just after my 1 year birthday and I didn't do the feature until my tank was over 2 years old. My tank is still running and maturing and could look totally different 2 years from now. 4x5s and a lot of other 1-2 year tanks are still stabilizing and just starting to grow out. It takes awhile to really hit the prime.

Valid point. My tank just turned 2 and recently just started to take off.

I say hold off till January... That's as far as I'd be able to push it if it was my choice it's simply gorgeous

I do agree to some extent. Althought TOTM isn't 100% about the tank as it sits, it is also about the journey that has been taken to get the tank to its current state. Chris contacted me about 18 months after my tank was extablished and while it may have been mature (to a degree) it was looking the worst it had been in the past 6 months. I questioned him at the time whether or not I should postpone the feature and he made a very valid point. I hope he doesn't mind me posting the below, a snippet of our original conversation.

"I've often found there's rarely ever a 'perfect moment' to feature an aquarium, they are ever changing, but the whole idea is to share the aquarium and the experiences learned and perspectives gained, good and bad."

Where I do agree that 4x5's reef does have some maturing to do but (personally) I believe that one of the biggest talking points around this reef is how 'clean' it all looks. Yes the corals can and will grow in and fill this beauty with phenominal colour as it matures but to me the open water, the stocking choices and the visibility of the base rock really do set this tank appart from the rest. I feel that there is such a thing as 'over-maturity' where all the corals blend together into a mass of colour and beauty. Where some aquarists love this look, I prefer a cleaner look myself with more open space and clear segregation between corals. At 12 months of age this reef has a feel that a lot of aquarists struggle to achieve in 2 even 3 years of establishment.

• Like 4

I do agree to some extent. Althought TOTM isn't 100% about the tank as it sits, it is also about the journey that has been taken to get the tank to its current state. Chris contacted me about 18 months after my tank was extablished and while it may have been mature (to a degree) it was looking the worst it had been in the past 6 months. I questioned him at the time whether or not I should postpone the feature and he made a very valid point. I hope he doesn't mind me posting the below, a snippet of our original conversation.

"I've often found there's rarely ever a 'perfect moment' to feature an aquarium, they are ever changing, but the whole idea is to share the aquarium and the experiences learned and perspectives gained, good and bad."

Where I do agree that 4x5's reef does have some maturing to do but (personally) I believe that one of the biggest talking points around this reef is how 'clean' it all looks. Yes the corals can and will grow in and fill this beauty with phenominal colour as it matures but to me the open water, the stocking choices and the visibility of the base rock really do set this tank appart from the rest. I feel that there is such a thing as 'over-maturity' where all the corals blend together into a mass of colour and beauty. Where some aquarists love this look, I prefer a cleaner look myself with more open space and clear segregation between corals. At 12 months of age this reef has a feel that a lot of aquarists struggle to achieve in 2 even 3 years of establishment.

110% agree with this.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations