inTank Media Baskets

Caps LED 12" current USA retro.

HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

heatsink is here today! they packed this thing WELL! i was surprised when i opened it that i have TWO heatsinks, maybe when he cut it to size he just threw the other piece in. i sent him an email regarding it and if he possibly made a mistake. either way, theres only one piece left to complete my parts! the power supply! i cant wait

IMG_4255.jpg

IMG_4256.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mistake on the heatsink. When you buy it, you get the full width, even if you get it custom cut like you did. You paid for it. Might as well get the rest of it.

HeyLookItsCaps

ah, alright cool. now all i need is the power supply. do you think i should just stick with 10 leds or use all 12? the PS can handle all 12 right? also, im gonna wire in a fan or 2, how should i go about wiring them? directly to the PS? i dont assume id go thru the buckpucks.....

ah, alright cool. now all i need is the power supply. do you think i should just stick with 10 leds or use all 12? the PS can handle all 12 right? also, im gonna wire in a fan or 2, how should i go about wiring them? directly to the PS? i dont assume id go thru the buckpucks.....

I was actually wondering this too, would one of those white ceramic block resisters of the correct value be good to use to bring the voltage down to something the fan could use, or is that not something that'd work?

Looks like I'm the same boat as you. I just received my order (exactly like yours) today from nanotuners. I'm still waiting on the driver from them though....I'll definitely follow this process

No point in 12 LEDs in that samll a fixture. 10 is more than enough.

For the fan, you have two practical options. First, run two fans in series on the 24v power supply. Second, run a single fan, and run it on it's own 12v supply. Regulating the voltage down from 24v to 12v creates a lot of unecessary heat, whether it be by resistor or voltage regulator.

HeyLookItsCaps

i was thinking about doing 2 fans. one intake and one exhaust. so using your idea, i could just run 2 of them in series and be fine. cool. building starts tomorrow.

HeyLookItsCaps

heres the dis assembly of my current usa light.

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

that screw in the upper right was almost impossible to get off. that ballast sure is loaded in tight!

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

my poor picos ghetto lamp setup til i finish my project.

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

hey evil, if i use an adapter like this, could i build a 2 LED setup as a fuge light with my extra LEDs? i have the extra heatsink too

IMG_4279.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

okay so this is what i was thinking for my placement.

it goes like such

BWBWB

WBWBW

what do you guys think?

IMG_4286.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

hit my first snag. while wiring up the bckpucks both the pots fell off and detached from the leads. i didnt even put pressure on them, i was just picking up the unit. i dont know what to do about it, and its un solderable, so i emailed LED supply as these had to have been faulty.

hey evil, if i use an adapter like this, could i build a 2 LED setup as a fuge light with my extra LEDs? i have the extra heatsink too

IMG_4279.jpg

Too low of a voltage for two LEDs. Would be fine for one. Honestly, for just a fuge light I'd get one of those cheap 120v fixed output drivers from Deal Extreme. Yo don't need anything fancy for a fuge.

hit my first snag. while wiring up the bckpucks both the pots fell off and detached from the leads. i didnt even put pressure on them, i was just picking up the unit. i dont know what to do about it, and its un solderable, so i emailed LED supply as these had to have been faulty.

They can be quite fragile. They really aren't intended to be used in that fashion. If you want something a little more sturdy, get 5K pots from Radioshack.

The pots are designed for pcb mounting, no inline wiring. The pins are fairly weak, so if they get bent a few times, they can easily break. The "few times" may have been before you took possesion of them.

HeyLookItsCaps

after i have everthing soldered and finished. can i cover the emitters and spray paint the heatsink and wires black to make it look nice?

i see, so i cant mount them directly with wire? i should mount them to a board? :/

If you get more of the same pots, mounting to a small chunk of pcb will make them far stronger, but not as practical. If you get the pots from Radioshack, you can wire directly to them.

after i have everthing soldered and finished. can i cover the emitters and spray paint the heatsink and wires black to make it look nice?

I would advise against it. Paint will act as an insulator and reduce the heatsink performance. If you want to make it look good, pass the wires through the heatsink, and buff the crap out of the mounting surface. Bling bling B)

HeyLookItsCaps

Got my PSU today, and i assumed it had a tip for plugging an AC wire into. however it doesnt.

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

so i assume i can use a cord like this. the question is, which wire goes where? from Left to Right... White/Green/Black?

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

I like to check with a multimeter, when you are looking at a wall outlet the round one is ground, left is neutral and right is live.

If you want to trust the color coding of the cord then live should be black, neutral white and ground green, so black, white, green from left to right.

Archived