SaltCritters.com

75gal planted/ sand flats

D3monic

Dude my LFS has a filterless reef. No skimmer, fuge, anything. All there is is water changes. It's loaded with fish and coral, and in the back there's lots of swaying macroalgae. It's crazy!!

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I was doing a desperatly needed water change on my reef tank and decided to toss my Tonga branch of xenia into the 75gal. I like it better in this tank.

IMG_0672.jpg

I got my small order from dr fosters today.

After emailing back and forth with russ at gulf coast ecosystems I took his advice. He stated that in their turtle grass systems they had success by using a mixture of Eco-complete

plantedgravel.jpg

And aragonite sand. Coupled with dry ferts.

I first rinsed the eco-complete (here by referred to as EC) to get rid of as much of the fw bacteria as possible.

I then removed the top 2" of sand from the sea grass side of my tank.

I then removed another 1" of sand to mix with the EC.

Then I placed the layer of EC-sand mixture into the tank. Mixed it in with the existing sand as much as possible.

I then re-added the top layer of sand covering the black EC so it would not be visible.

Once I get the sea grass order (next day or so) I will dig little trenches into the sand and gently place the grass and rhizome into the trench and gently cover them while trying to avoid damaging the root. I will also place a tab of seachems flourish in each trench. With any luck the turtle and shoal grasses will survive.

I got another macro shipment today...Much more than I expected to receive that's for sure. My mail man is probably starting to wonder what the heck I'm up to. This is the second package that has arrived soaking wet and smelled horrible, Hehe.

Here's the culprit...no biggy it happens. Still looks good...(almost good enough to smoke)

IMG_0779.jpg

At first I was all like EWWWWW wtf is that.

IMG_0780.jpg

lol I guess the dragons tongue wasn't too happy about being shipped. Apparently alot of its coloring is a liquid in the tissue. This is the water after dumped out of the bags. I wonder what it would look like in a black light.

IMG_0781.jpg

Don't mind how cloudy the tank looks its a lovely combo of sand silt that I stirred up and micro bubbles (speaking of which if you guys want to give me tips on how to eliminate them. I have bubble traps but they are going right through)

Still plenty of room on the left for sea grasses (hopefully here tomorrow)

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

Where should the dragons tongue be planted? Right now I have it in the sand. Also how do you guys attach macro's to the rock? Glue?

Rearranged a little bit. I used rubber bands to get it to stay on the rock work. This way it kind of flows with the current vs laying against the sand bed

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Nice,

You should get a cool angler, that would look really good with the macros.

this is a lot like a future tank plan i will have of a grass flats predatory tank with anglers, scorpions, and lions. i say keep predatory fish. I love the dragons tounge it is awesome. :)

Im rocking all peacefull fish in here... Pipefish, Mandarins and maybe eventually SH. Hopefully one day I wll see a sea dragon or ghost pipe on the market (or in my price range)

looks nice!

i was thinking about planting a few macros in my tank eventually

if the rocks were stacked a little lower and with more random order it would probably look even better

but anyway, Good Job!

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some updated pics.

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

yes I know my camera sucks. I still need to get a valve on the return so I can do something about those micro bubbles.

Im rocking all peacefull fish in here... Pipefish, Mandarins and maybe eventually SH. Hopefully one day I wll see a sea dragon or ghost pipe on the market (or in my price range)

thats a good idea and i know my lfs said he saw a ghost pipefish for sale for like 150 to 200 bucks but he didnt get it because he did not want to take the chance of it dying. also u should look into getting a seamoth if u can find one. my lfs has had them and they are really cool. the problem is they dont have a lot of info on them. :)

animalmaster6
thats a good idea and i know my lfs said he saw a ghost pipefish for sale for like 150 to 200 bucks but he didnt get it because he did not want to take the chance of it dying. also u should look into getting a seamoth if u can find one. my lfs has had them and they are really cool. the problem is they dont have a lot of info on them. :)

Weeber, I was reading ur post like who is this and then looked at the name. Is that ur flasher?

Ok so my thoughts....

The tank looks AWESOME right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE all the macros, zoo's, and grasses! I can't wait for more pics!

I think an angler tank would look really cool!!!!

A peaceful tank is even nicer though. Having Mandarins, seahorses, and pipefishes in this tank would look absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl jordan

Very nice planted aquarium. Really like all the micro algaes, and it nice to see something different. I like zoa's and mushroom as much as the next person but after awhile all the tanks start to look the same.

Well I just picked up a couple items from the closed door sale for our local club... This beautifull pair of pipefish

IMG_0995.jpg

A little new rock

IMG_0998.jpg

And this beautiful beast!

IMG_0999.jpg

I also picked up a pretty red mandarin for my nano cube.

Archived