Cultivated Reef

75gal planted/ sand flats

D3monic

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to get a list of Macro algaes together.

So far I am liking.

Botryocladia

Gracilaria

Ochtodes

Padina sp

Halymenia

Dragons tounge

Acetabularia sp

fuzzy calerpa

Neomaris sp.

Fauchea sp.

Scinaia sp

Of course these depend on availability and compatability.

I'll start by saying that I keep a cold water tank with Southern California animals, and no pants, so I don't have much direct experience with what you are planning to do.

haha

yes im immature

just read through the thread DEFO following :D

i like the scape but the big loop looks a touc unnatural? im one for natural scapes but it still looks great, nice an open like a patch in a seagrass bed or something

thers a seagrass bed near where i collect my coral ill try get some pics of it for u, failing that ill see what species live there

I plan on having the loop completly covered in palythoa or something. I figured that would look neat.

My wife really wants me to order this mushroom for the new tank. Its $150 but almost worth it to make her like the tank.

omgIwant.jpg

I plan on having the loop completly covered in palythoa or something. I figured that would look neat.

My wife really wants me to order this mushroom for the new tank. Its $150 but almost worth it to make her like the tank.

omgIwant.jpg

is that a ric? or a nem? im confused

watch stinging animals and seahorses

omgIwant.jpg

That's a mushroom? I found something almost exactly like this in my tank a couple of days ago. It's really neat looking.

It sounds, from your other posts on this thread, that you are planning on heading into uncharted territory with this tank, and experimenting with an unusual biotope. I'm not brave enough (or rich enough) to put a $150 critter into such an experimental environment. Does this mushroom have a $10 cousin with similar husbandry requirements that you can use as a test subject first?

How big is that mushroom? Except for color and pattern, it looks just like Corynactis Californicus (strawberry (club-tipped) anemone) which are about 3/4" across. Corynactis need cold water (55 - 60 degrees) and your going warm right?

flying_dutchman

IMO it's to much rock, sea moths need little to no rockwork. And you are using more rock than I in my reef tank. I would use a 3rd of the rock you are using now.

Just my .02

NVM its listed wrong. It is a anemone....damn it.

Corynactis are corallimorphs, which is the same groups as mushrooms and rics, but they behave more like anemones. They have a powerful stings, and the big ones can eat fish. They are nonphotosynthetic, but I think they usually can make do with what's in he tank, and don't require much feeding.

What kind of sand does Lowes carry? I didn't think they had anything that was suitable for a tank that didn't contain silicates. The rock work looks like fake freshwater decorations, pretty awful. Cool idea with the macro/low flow tank though.

Very nice work so far, looking forward to more pics. I have a planted 15 gallon lagoon biotope I need to take pics of. Where are you planning to get plants for it?

You're asking for opinions...I gave one.

:lol:

i think its pretty cool. its not suppose to be a reef tank, its suppose to be sand flats. thats why the rocks are different then reef tanks

I will order the plants from several places. Most im getting local from a fellow breeder/reefer. The rest ill get from gulf coast eco systems and inland aquatics. Divers den had mermaids wine glass the other day but I jsut checked and its not on the list anymore.

flying_dutchman

I'm not trying to offend you, the tank looks great, but I guess I just have a different interpretation of a sand flat tank

Archived