Pod Your Reef

75gal planted/ sand flats

D3monic

I'll start by saying that I keep a cold water tank with Southern California animals, and no pants

Did anybody catch this? :)

I can't wait to see this tank D3monic!

Hey, that's just the way we roll in So Cal. B)

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should I plywood the top with regular plywood or leave it open. Im leaning toward open.

If you will have an acrylic tank, you'll need to plywood the top because the acrylic will bow (or break?) if only supported on the edges. If your tank is glass, you only need to support the edges, but there are a couple other minor things to consider.

If you will be running a chiller, then you probably want to put some Styrofoam insulation board under the tank, in which case I'd use plywood under the Styrofoam. The other thing is that the plywood top will strengthen the corners by fixing them at 90 degrees, and not allowing them to flex. That's probably not necessary in the horizontal plane (top) but the plywood sides you are planning to add will do that for the 90 degree corners of the vertical walls, which is probably necessary.

Its glass and definatly not running a chiller. I probably wont do a cold water tank either. Im leaning more toward indonesian. Mandarins, pipefish those weird sea moths type fish. Does anyone know much about the DC 8's? I have one with my nanocube and ACJ. I could of sworn I read that you can place a DC 8 anywhere else in the house and still controll it because they induce a signal onto the electrical lines. Does anyone have any experiance with this? I would be nice if I could controll both tanks on the same controller in different rooms.

Did anybody catch this? :)

I can't wait to see this tank D3monic!

Hey, that's just the way we roll in So Cal. B)

Hahaha. Good luck with the tank.

Got it about half way done. I am not liking the trim I picked for the sides. Im going back to menards tomorrow and finding something different.

IMG_0275.jpg

looks pretty damn good.I do agree the corner pieces have to much going on or something.Dont flow with the rest of the sweet looking stand.

Figures. One last piece of trim to hang and the damn compressor takes a crap on me....I feel bad, its my dads. I think the pressure switch is stuck open. I tried wacking it with a hammer to no avail. All I did was unplug it to use the miter saw real quick. I plugged it back in and nothing. =( I could use a hammer but I was nailing in the little seam.

(few hours later) Well I still need to hang the final piece on the top edge of the far side but this is what I got so far. I have done some minor sanding but assuming I can find a compressor to borrow I will be staining tommorw night.

IMG_0280.jpg

I finally started staining tonight...weee nothing like staining with the garage door closed.

Here it is with just the conditioner on it ( I like the look it had here)

IMG_0281.jpg

Heres after the first coat

IMG_0282.jpg

I will probably do one more coat before putting the finish on.

Do you guys think this will be big enough for a sump? Its a 20gal tank.

sump.jpg

That skimmer is pretty big in comparison. By the time I put baffles in I will be left with a refugium thats maybe 7" wide at the most. Heck the fuge on my 28gal tank is bigger than that. If I had a way to make a seperate fuge I would but I dont have $$ for another pump.

"

I will probably pick up a 30gal or something in the future. This is the best I have to work with for now. It going to be a awfully small fuge but ohh well.

IMG_0287.jpg

I know you mentioned you were going to pick up a 30G later for the sump, but are you sure the backflow from the display won't be too much for the 20G sump? Just wondering is all...

I Picked up 200lbs of sand from lowes. I am waiting on a Marco rocks and agrogate sand order to show up so I can get water in. I ordered a bunch of 1/4" acrylic dowel rods for the aquascaping.

Archived