ReefCleaners.org

Suggestions for Digital Camera?

Smokin-Reefer

for a litle mor you can get a sony cd macvia which burns all you pics stright to mini cd-r or cd-rws. they are the only amature digitals to have imho as the have all the options and a huge/ cheep storage media that can be read by ANY computer any where. no more usb cords! woot woot. you can get better cmaers but then you are looking in to the more professional grade and those aren't worth the dough if you aren't super serios about digital pics. (prices for a low end pro cam start at around $1200)

Originally posted by Grub

So, is the Nikon Coolpix good enough for tank shots?

Yup yup yup. I use a Coolpix 990, and the others I have seen are excellent cameras.

I read through the aquarium photography forum on reef central. The one camera that kept coming up was the coolpix 4500. It was a 700-800 dollar camera, discontinued earlier this year. Nikon is dumping a lot of refurbished 4500s and they are showing up regularly on eBay with a 90 day Nikon warranty. I got one for $410 and bought an extended warranty as well. So, 465 shipped.

Right now I'm using it for eBay stuff and just starting to appreciate what it can do. I did spring for a solid tripod and that also increased the effectiveness of my shots.

Any how, 1) coolpix 4500 great camera. 2) reefcentral photography forum great resource.

p.s. this is coming from a photography n00b.

Love this thing! Very small too...

Nice features and very easy to use.

These were taken using the macro feature (sorry for the blurr...need a tripod!)

I researched this for over a month before i got my camerea, go with a Canon or Nikon. From all the reviews I've read and people i spoke to they are by far the best ones, even if you ust go with a lower megapixel range to afford it

Jim

Jim, the research that I'm doing for my mother in law on this subject (she just wants to take snapshots) is pointing towards Canon and Nikon as well. The Canons consistently get ridiculously high ratings, as do most Nikons.

I think I'm probably a little more pro-Canon in this case for the weight factor. OnTheFly apologizes repeatedly for the blurry photos, and I think that speaks volumes regarding how important the weight and form factor of a camera is with respect to the hand holding it. I have a hard time with my Sony because it's just a little small and a little light for my hand to hold steadily. A Canon G5, or the Olympus that my sister in law has are both a little bigger and heavier, which I think would probably help the clarity in my photos.

I think that some of the best testing you can do when buying a camera is to, aside from the research beforehand, actually use it in a setting similar to the way you'd use it in real life and judge the quality for yourself.

Someone stated above that you need to shell out over a grand for a decent professional camera. I would, to a point, disagree with that. I think that there are some models out there, that carry nearly all of the features that aren't necessarily outrageously priced. Models like the G5 or the Sony 818 (717?) are great cameras for the money with many features that are found in higher dollar items.

Just my $0.02.

I'm waiting, I plan on getting the Cannon 10d when I can stop spending money on my tank, and buy a camera. I told myself I wasn't going to go digital unless it's SLR. I like to shoot alot of Snowboarding, skateboard, and cars. Without my Fisheye i'm hopeless. Plus I'd find myself using quite a bit for free lance work I need to be able to create 300 DPI images.

Good Point Fly,

Never thought that my unsteady hand was the result of the small camera and not the IV drip of coffee.....I really think once I get the tripod and learn how to adjust the settings.....this thing is going to be magic!

i have been considering a digital camera for a while now and while i wont use it for aquarium photos(yet...) i want one that i will be able to use when i set up my tank(maybe spring 2004)... What do you guys have to say about the canon digital rebel? I know its a bit pricey, but when i get into a hobby, i always go overboard...

Digital Rebel is a good camera, but with the plastic body, it might be a better bet to look at the 10D, as it has a magnesium body which might prove to be more durable.

Nah, not that much.

EOS 10D w/Essentials Package: $1800

http://www.expresscameras.com/cart/prodeta...up=8713&start=1

Rebel w/Essentials Package: $1100

http://www.expresscameras.com/cart/prodeta...up=8845&start=1

A little more, but I think it's probably worth it.

They're both great machines, but you might just as easily find that a Powershot G5 or a Sony V1 or FC717 will do more than you're ready for, for a whole lot better price. Check around and you can probably find a refurbished G5 for less than $500.

Archived