inTank Media Baskets

rocky shore biotope

weta

here are some pictures of my tank

ft1.jpg

ft2.jpg

It is a temperate tank, no heater or chiller. All the rock work is made from foam and epoxy.

its a 450mm cube that holds 10ltrs of water in the tank and another 20ltrs in a sump.

here are some pics of the creatures-

pistol3_640x480.jpg

IMG_1505_640x480.jpg

IMG_1470_640x480.jpg

hermit-nem.jpg

c9.jpg

IMG_1490_640x480-1.jpg

c8.jpg

c7.jpg

they are all collected from the wild, and most have been in there for about 21 months

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that's pretty awesome. what's your location?

ta, location is auckland nz

WOW! Did you make that yourself? Do you have any pictures of it while it was under construction?

yeah there is a long drawn out build thread here http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136377 it goes through a big makeover to get where it is now - near the end of the thread.

I learnt a lot from lano-reef on how to maintain a tiny amount of saltwater.

The Mad Reefer

That is absolutely STUNNING! I attempted to do this with my cracked 10 gal but failed miserably. I really love the rock-work, it is very original GREAT work. Stumbled by the way :P

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

You definitely deserve it. Superb job, absolutely amazing and I would love to see this a TOTM as well.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef and on behalf of everyone else here, I demand more pics!!!....please :P

One of the coolest tanks I've seen. Have you ID'ed all the species of whats in there? You should put up an inventory of livestock and hardware. I know I'm not the only one who wants to know what your using to make that thing rock!

You definitely deserve it. Superb job, absolutely amazing and I would love to see this a TOTM as well.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef and on behalf of everyone else here, I demand more pics!!!....please :P

One of the coolest tanks I've seen. Have you ID'ed all the species of whats in there? You should put up an inventory of livestock and hardware. I know I'm not the only one who wants to know what your using to make that thing rock!

ta, its kind of hard to id the creatures because they are mostly unglamorous little things that live in mangrove forests and rubble.

There are 4 juvie Leptograpsus variegatus, 3 pistol shrimp, 2 glass shrimp, 2 porcelain crabs, 3 hermit crabs, 2 snails, a mud anemone, a cushion star and about 6 shore crabs of unknown id.

as far as hardware goes it is very minimalistic.. and kind of ghetto- there is a small pump from an old water feature in the sump, which is just a big interchangeable bucket that has lumps of diy liverock in it for filtration.

IMG_1684_640x480.jpg

the overflow is made from a juice jug, the plumbing is irrigation pipe and fittings.

IMG_1354_640x480.jpg

the lighting is two cfl's in a diy hood made from mdf and a couple of $8 desk lamps.

Picture011_320x240.jpg

it used to look a lot different. it started as a more unusual biotope, but it turned out to be too high maintenance.

stages.jpg

top left is the earliest pic. I liked the green mossy look but got sick of the constant misting and cleaning.

I'm even more impressed now that I see how you MacGyvered it together like that. Not only did you design and build an exceptionally beautiful and interesting tank, but you had so much extra ingenuity laying around that you had no need for something so mudane as money.

As you kiwi's say, "good on you!"

Archived