Cultivated Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999

wow! it looks great already! any plans for upgrading the lighting? i may have missed it skimming through the thread looking for pics :P )

There are some plans about the lighting which Im considering at the moment. Im thinking of either getting 2 AI Prime units on each end of the tank or extend/upgrade my existing light by adding 2 1ft sections on either end, slap 2 Lumia 5.2 and call it a day.

Ive worked out both options and they are very similar in price. The AI would be the easiest, plug and play and have wifi function. The Lumia would throw more light and being DIY, I can customize it to fit my existing light and needs. BUT It would take a few days to build it. The price of the 2 AI Prime is really attractive.

disaster999

DSC_0790.JPG

+

lowres_LED_nov25_015__43522.1405346027.1X2 =

18 neutral white

4 warm white

3 cool white

48 royal blue

9 cool blue

27 hyper violet

4 true violet

11 turquoise

5 deep red

129 total LED

~380W

should be enough for my 65" tank

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
disaster999

Updates:

Came up with this design for the new light

Drawing1-Model.jpg

LEGgroupbuy has been ordered and shipped...waiting for my friend's dad to come back from the states with the goods. Im upgrading my entire power system.

Coralux Storm Controller has been ordered, Meep's Arduino setup has taking a shit (His code is fine, the hardware doesnt like the saltwater environment tho). Dont want to mess with it again, so opted for an off the shelf option.

A 2ft section of heatsink has been ordered to add on to my existing light. Figured that this is the least amount of work with the best results. I would have to drill and tap 15 LEDs

This new setup should be cleaner than the last.

• Like 4
disaster999

This came in the mail

upload_-1.jpg

pretty happy with it. Much simpler and less bulky than Meeps Arduino. I do miss the touch screen

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 3
disaster999

more parts came in the mail...

upload_-1.jpg

Meanwell power supply,

2ft heatsink

Thermal paste that costs less than 50 cents

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Only problem i see with the new LED setup is that the light won't be as 'even'. The Lumia will have one look underneath them and then your LED clusters will have another look to them. I would have just copied your same clusters instead, or used multichip LEDs like Bridgelux arrays and Luxeon M so that you don't have to solder as much :)

• Like 1
disaster999

Ben, where were you when I said I was going get the lumias...=(

The only reason I went with the Lumia is mainly because I wanted to give them a try. Also looking at the specs on them, they closely resemble my clusters in terms of colors used. Anything under them would be pretty bright as its a denser LED chip, but I think I can make it work.

Either way Im pretty stoked about it

jedimasterben

Ben, where were you when I said I was going get the lumias...=(

The only reason I went with the Lumia is mainly because I wanted to give them a try. Also looking at the specs on them, they closely resemble my clusters in terms of colors used. Anything under them would be pretty bright as its a denser LED chip, but I think I can make it work.

Either way Im pretty stoked about it

I'm not saying it won't look good, but I'm all about symmetry and having every bit of the tank look identical lol

• Like 1
disaster999

The last piece of the puzzle is finally here.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

They all light up and work...but Im getting a pretty bad flicker with the light. Its powered by the Meanwell power supply, Storm Controller and hooked up as per the instructions. The only thing that seems the most probable is the power from the power supply isnt clean and creating this flickering...Other than that Im lost for words.

• Like 2
disaster999

Construction beings, started the tear down and upgrade on Friday night

upload_-1.jpg

Easy part is done

upload_-1.jpg

The next day, got the wiring done

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Testing the light

upload_-1.jpg

Finally hung, drilling through that stainless steel arm is a pain in the ass.

upload_-1.jpg

FTS...MUCH bettere coverage. I was worried about the uneveness that Ben was talking about, but my worries were gone once I turned on the lights. This is just whites and blues. Im waiting for new drivers as I noobed out and bought 1amp drivers for 700mAh LEDs.

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 7

Congrats on the tank upgrade! I first saw the tank originally through the 'Reef in the Sky' YouTube videos a few years back, I have always admired the quality and the care that went into that stunning SPS display. I really dig the tank backing, the graduated blue is stunning, gives a nice depth to the reef. Can't wait to see this fill out :).

• Like 1
disaster999

Me too, I cant wait till i stock this tank out. SPS are growing in my tank, but Im hopeing the colors will come back on my browned out SPS.

• Like 2

Me too, I cant wait till i stock this tank out. SPS are growing in my tank, but Im hopeing the colors will come back on my browned out SPS.

No worries bro. I'm sure your sps are going to go bounce back to full color. I'm waiting on a mini colony to do the same. Otherwise your tank is looking good.