Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

jedimasterben

I will keep this short and sweet.

DO IT

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

I guess my celebration is premature...I just called a professional tank moving company and got a quote for $3500 HKD, that's around $450 USD, to move his tank to my place.

That's a bit more than what I was expecting. Granted, $900 shipped is still plenty cheap for his tank, but its more than what Im willing to pay at this moment.

Thing is I can probably call a few of my muscle friends to help move the tank on a weekend, but being an airline pilot, he has his own schedule cant do it on the weekends. Im still trying to work something out with, but if we really cant fit this onto our schedule then I have to back out of this.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

Look what I got

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

The move went smoothly. Got the tank safely into the new place. Still debating about the exact location but I have a week and a half to think it over since we didnt fully move the tank in. By the time we moved the stand into the living room, everyone was feeling pretty damn tired we tried. Also, since the union fittings for the drains and return pipe was still attached to the tank, we couldnt lay the tank flat and had to stand it up on its side. That made moving a hell of a lot harder since most of the weight is on one side and we didnt have a dolly to rest the tank on. We decided to call it a day and wait for the actual movers to come and have them move the tank to its final place.

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...
disaster999

The movers came today

Here they are preparing to lift the tank

upload_-1.jpg

Just picked up the tank and about to move up the stairs

upload_-1.jpg

Half way up

upload_-1.jpg

Here they are, got the tank on the stand

upload_-1.jpg

Final resting place, not sure what my brother is pondering

upload_-1.jpg

another shot

upload_-1.jpg

Tested the fittings and valves, These valves are pure quality.

upload_-1.jpg

Lots of cleaning and wiping tomorrow. Will start and fill the tank once I hook up my RODI

• Like 9
disaster999

Going to make the move this weekend as we are handing our old house to the new owners next Monday so everything has to go. Heres the run down

Friday Night

• clean new tank and sump
  • finish plumbing
  • hook up my RODI
  • start filling the tank.

Saturday

• Move rocks, corals and fish into buckets and move them to new house.
  • empty tank and sump
  • go to LFS and get 2 buckets of salt and new return pump and plumbing accessories
  • return home and clean old tank and sump
  • move old tank and stand out of old house and into new house
  • add salt to new tank and turn on all the jets to mix water
  • add rocks, coral and fish.
  • cross my fingers

Will try and take as many pictures as possible.

disaster999

Today was a long day. My dual 100gpd membrane RODI unit took exactly 24 hours to fill the tank up to 160gals

This was around 12 hours

upload_-1.jpg

Ive added an entire bucket of RC salt and turned up my Tunze 6095 to mix the salt. I then added all my live rocks and let it sit in my tank for around 3 hours. This picture was 24 hours after Ive started filling the tankupload_-1.jpg

Slaved into the night, Ive all my corals and fish into the tank, Hooked up a Jebao 8000LPH DC pump.

upload_-1.jpg

I literally stood at the store for a good 30 mins debating if i should go with a NewJet 8000 or the Jebao. I went on forums and started reading reviews on the Jebao pump and wonder if I should bit the bullet and try out them out or stick with tried and true Italian made muscle. Most of the reviews have nothing but good things to say about it. In the end I decided to try the DC pump out.

I wouldnt say this pump is loud, but there are a lot of motor whine. Im hoping this will go away when the pump is fully broken in.

Im going to hit the sack and work on it more tomorrow. Moving and upgrading a tank is seriously hard work

• Like 4

So sweet, the tank, stand and sump really look amazing. You sir, have an awesome setup. So clean and very well put together.

Congratulations!

disaster999

I found this ancient bottle of vodka whilst moving. it has to be 8+ years old. Also, we arent big on drinking so I just jacked this bottle and used it for the tank. haha

• Like 3
disaster999

Also picked these up the other day

upload_-1.jpg

I kind of regret getting the RW-20, I think its seriously over powered on my tank,

This is at 100% wave mode

• Like 9