Cultivated Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

DAMNIT, I got schooled =P I was re-watching yesterday with the GF since she havent seen it and I got all excited when I THOUGHT he pulled HCl from the shelves. I saw hydroxxxuric and instantly assumed it was HCl. If you read back a few pages you would know I had the hardest time finding HCl in Hong Kong so Im a little obsessed about it.

I still have the big ass Frog Spawn, although its been fragging itself from time to time...more likely my fault since I was moving it around and the branches couldnt bare the weight and break off. Right now i have 4 branches sitting in my sump and needs to be sold.

I just built a simple media rack in the sump and running carbon and GFO right now. With the carbon alone with the supplied bag, water flows through it just fine. I couldnt find a bag with a mesh fine enough for GFO, so I took a pair pantyhoes and cut one leg off and put GFO in that. With the GFO in the pantyhoes, Its restricting the water quite a bit.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I might need to DIY or get another reactor.

• Like 3
NorthGaHillbilly

I just built a simple media rack in the sump and running carbon and GFO right now. With the carbon alone with the supplied bag, water flows through it just fine. I couldnt find a bag with a mesh fine enough for GFO, so I took a pair pantyhoes and cut one leg off and put GFO in that. With the GFO in the pantyhoes, Its restricting the water quite a bit.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

I might need to DIY or get another reactor.

Ive got my carbon in pantyhose but never though about it restricting flow, Im going to have to go get some proper bags, or break down and get a reactor. Glad to see things are getting back on track

Long story short, I was hating my tank since it was invested with hydroids and flatworm and looking like shit. I wanted to restart my tank so took out all the rocks and nuked them with Hydrochloric Acid (the stuff they use in Breaking Bad to dissolve people). Had all my corals and fish in a holding tank, Corals were pissed off, started chemical warfare, all SPS died, all fish died, all invert died. LPS and clam were only survivors.

Its pretty easy, your welcome to copy mine. Its not the cleanest or most elegant rack, but it works

So you just used some scrap acrylic and weld-on 16 or something to make it?

So you just used some scrap acrylic and weld-on 16 or something to make it?

Yeah, Its not quite weld-on, but its similar.

Just score and break the acrylic and glue. I need to get myself at least a jig saw and a router if I want to do anymore acrylic work.

• 3 weeks later...

Went on a little shopping spree...

Grade "B" snowflakes, gonna leave them in QT for around 2-3 weeks just to make sure no nasties show up. Dosed a little copper

IMAG0076.jpg

Got a little tester coral as well. Its some aquacultured blue with green tips acro. I dipped it in iodine and flatwarm exit. Chipped away the epoxy base it came with because it was filled with macro algae. put it in the take for a while and polyps started showing. Thats always a good sign.

IMAG0078.jpg

Excuse the hair stuff in the tank, not really sure what they are. They arent hair algae as the tang ate it all. This is brown and feels a little slimy.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Dusted off my DSLR and took some pictures.

I have no idea why picasa ####ed up my picture here...its no where near as bright or purple/pink

DSC_1227.JPG

DSC_1231.JPGDSC_1240.JPGDSC_1241.JPG

DSC_1242.JPG

• Like 5

Bought new corals and fish means more pictures. I guess its a good thing my tank crashed and I have to document everything again since Im so rusty at taking tank pictures and using photoshop.

The shutter speed was too high so I caught the LED lights flickering...so thats why the middle part of the SPS is greener than the rest.

DSC_1243.JPG

The tentacles on the brain corals was going crazy while i was taking pictures so I thought I'll take a pictures of it too.

DSC_1250.JPG

1115916_10101068952133395_82341745081329

Also bought a new flame back angel. Currently sitting in my Q tank

DSC_1246.JPG

• Like 8

Sorta reef related, but not really. Went on a shopping spree for tools today

IMG-20141019-WA0032.jpeg

IMG-20141019-WA0034.jpeg

IMG-20141019-WA0036.jpeg

IMG-20141019-WA0040.jpeg

Tried cutting up some acrylic scraps today with the jigsaw and special acrylic blades and man, does that thing eat through acrylic like hot knife through butter. I was expecting a very jagged edge like using a band saw but to my surprise, it left an extremely smooth finish. I dare say its smoother than a table saw.

The clamps I bought were too small tho. They would work fine with small projects, or holding smaller pieces, but I need bigger ones for the things I want to build. Picked the wrong time to go shopping today since all the specialty hardware store is closed on Sundays. I guess I'll just have to make another trip there some other time.

• Like 7

Minor improvements to the sump like media basket, filter sock holder (probably wont happen since I dont have enough space)

Going to finish up my light and make an outer skin for it so it looks cleaner and hides the mess of wires and controllers.

Theres probably more I want to do later on, Ill let you guys know when that happens.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that sucked. Week and half in my quarantine tank and my flameback angel jumped. Found him all dried up on the floor next to the tank. Guess its time to get another one :/

Tank is doing fine, Im still having this brown fuzz algae which I cant seem to get rid of. I added 2 cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimp to the tank. One of the cleaner shrimp died the next day but the other is still chugging along just fine. I havent seen the peppermint shrimp since I added them in, but I believe they are just hiding for now and hopefully see the aiptasia population go down (my clam still have a few aiptasia on its shell. I didnt want to throw out my clam because of that so I opted to keep it and deal with the aip with peppermint shrimps)

SPS is doing great in my tank. My plan is getting a new frag every month, repopulating my tank. Thinking of getting a yasha goby and shrimp pair sometime down the line but it really depends on the availability.

• Like 3