Coral Vue Hydros

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

Love the sps growth. Awesome macro shots.

Thanks =) These werent taken with a macro lens...I should break that out and take some more shots. Stayed tuned

Fantastic! :)

Thanks =)

Wow, that light is amazing, really nice work. The SPS look great.

Yeah, loving the light. All thanks to jedi and meep's help

This is a sweet sweet acro. Looks like a reef raft piece.

Im not sure what acro this is. I got it for free from a local reefer. But Im loving the colors on that piece

+1

Thanks hype!

• Like 1

each cluster contains:

3 Cree XT-E neutral white

3 hyper violet from LEDgroupbuy

6 Cree XT-E royal blue

1 china dual chip deep red

1 LEDgroupbuy cyan

1 Cree XP-E cool blue

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

^ What they said. I look forward to hopefully seeing what happens when SPS grow to the surface one day. :lol:

Some people just catch on to reefing naturally, and you seem to be one of those people. I'm sure you will have corals growing out of the water sooner than you think!

Thanks, Im loving the colors as well

Are you having any problems with the LED's at all? When I had all of my SPS under LED's I noticed that they would STN anywhere that wasn't getting light directly (the undersides of branches, and the base of the coral). That has never happened with any other lights, IME.

• Like 1
disaster999

I have one coral whos base is behind a ledge on the rock so its completely blocked off from the light and tissue there is completely dead. other than that, my SPS didnt show any STN near the base or the bottom of the branches.

From what I read, not getting enough light isnt the main reason why the base of SPS die. You need plenty of water movement and good water quality to maintain the tissue down there

• Like 2
jedimasterben

i should frag this right?

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Na, lets see where this goes. :)

No!

^ What they said. I look forward to hopefully seeing what happens when SPS grow to the surface one day. :lol:

^ what they said. #winning

Are you having any problems with the LED's at all? When I had all of my SPS under LED's I noticed that they would STN anywhere that wasn't getting light directly (the undersides of branches, and the base of the coral). That has never happened with any other lights, IME.

That's actually what happens out in the wild. Corals look like a bag of knobs except top-down ;)

It all depends on spread. Using something like a Radion or even my evil cluster with lenses will more than likely result in it happening, or basically any time lenses are used. Removing lenses intensity (sometimes significantly), but with more spread, typically less intensity is required since more total light is hitting.

It's the only reason that my light system is a hybrid. I'll be experimenting this year some time with replacing the T5 with custom LED strips now that I can get LEDs that are less than 1/4 the size of a Cree or Rebel chip and get 100% perfect blending. :)

There's four LEDs mounted dead center of these boards. :)

IMG_20140315_115158319.jpg

• Like 1

^ what they said. #winning

That's actually what happens out in the wild. Corals look like a bag of knobs except top-down ;)

It all depends on spread. Using something like a Radion or even my evil cluster with lenses will more than likely result in it happening, or basically any time lenses are used. Removing lenses intensity (sometimes significantly), but with more spread, typically less intensity is required since more total light is hitting.

It's the only reason that my light system is a hybrid. I'll be experimenting this year some time with replacing the T5 with custom LED strips now that I can get LEDs that are less than 1/4 the size of a Cree or Rebel chip and get 100% perfect blending. :)

There's four LEDs mounted dead center of these boards. :)

IMG_20140315_115158319.jpg

Some people just catch on to reefing naturally, and you seem to be one of those people. I'm sure you will have corals growing out of the water sooner than you think!

Ya, I have my red plant off to the side and the outside base of it encrusted, but then RTNd to the frag plug. It didn't continue, but it was from the lack of light I am sure. I have been thinking about getting a par38 bulb to put over on that side of the tank to supplement the lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999
I guess when you get a gf, they tend to want to name all your fish. Im not a huge fan of naming my fish, she took the liberty to name them. My purple tang is now Keisuke, the Sohal tang was Mali, but I changed it to Takumi (Those who get the reference should understand why I insisted on changing his name) my 2 cleaner is Wataru 1 and 2. Since I changed my Sohal tang's name, the clown fish pair is now called Mali, and Mali-hom. She havent thought of a name for the peppermind shrimp yet.
We picked out 2 stocky anthias fish a week ago and she named them Midori and Kaoru. Midori is the top one and Kaoru is on the bottom. Well Kaoru didnt last too long in my tank. It wasnt eating and eventually died. Midori on the other hand was in much better shape. It at least was interested in the food I gave her, but didnt really eat much. I finally found some mysis shrimp and she gobbled them up. I have to fatten her up good and train her to eat pellets before letting her out of her box. She wont stand a change when it comes to chasing after food with my tangs.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Blurry iPhone picture courtesy of my gf. Ill get some good quality pics later =P

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
disaster999

So last month I asked you all what should I do with this branch of SPS thats poking its head out the water....well heres the result

IMAG2606.jpg

I gotta cut this off since its STN-ing right now