Innovative Marine Aquariums

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

thanks yoshii and kat =)

so its been 8 months since i last introduced LEDs to my tank and so far its been great. i dont have to worry about changing bulbs and everything is growing pretty well. but im starting to see some limitations to the meanwell drivers and with me constantly trying to constantly improve my setup, ive decided to do some drastic changes.

heres a little preview,

æ’æµé©±åŠ¨IC(DD311,%20DM413,%20DD313,DM134).jpg

+

AIO-0118-002a.png

+

41nWIIXmtUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

+

4x455nm+8x495nm+8x660nm+4x395nm

i should have everything within this week...hopefully...ill keep you guys posted

Edited by disaster999
  • 2 weeks later...
update time, finally filled with RO/DI water, salt and rocks! let the cycle begin!

sorry my orange shirt is too bright

DSC_3359.JPG

using remote flash and just messing around

DSC_3350.JPG

DSC_3351.JPG

DSC_3352.JPG

DSC_3353.JPG

Sump

DSC_3344.JPG

skimmer getting a workout

DSC_3356.JPG

DSC_3357.JPG

DSC_3355.JPG

i dont have an overall shot since i lent my wide angle lens to my friend. ill take more when the water clears and when i have the lens back. this tank is screaming for a light and MP40. it will finish it off nicely

I really like your sump. I think the sump is nicer than the display for sure

thanks, but i have since changed my setup. the old sump wasnt really working for me. it had one too many compartments and the skimmer barely fits

a little update, i spend the entire weekend slaving away on my light. it took a while gathering all the supplies for the light and im still waiting on the 495nm from LEDgroupbuy. i had it shipped to my friend who will bring it back for me next month, im not going to pay 40 bucks for international shipping for 6 LEDs.

but heres what i have so far

LED drivers mounted on custom PCB

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

controller and drivers mounted on my light fixture

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

i had to get another powersupply cuz i was careless and shorted it out. had to rush out to get another one which costed more than double than what i paid for...ah well

the finally result of 2 days of work, sorry for the shaky cam

because this cant really show you how the dimming works

i need a new camera bad

whee, no one is excited for new light! hopefully this time lapse video would show off the dimming of the lights better. the sudden brightness in the video is when the T5HO comes on and off.

• Like 1

thanks, im still trying to figure out the programming, i cant really get it to do what i want at exactly the right time. its pretty much trial and error right now

• 3 weeks later...

this is a PSA: remember to periodically check your RO/DI unit TDS.

just had to replace my DI resin since the TDS out of it was around 40. RO going into it was around 15. pulled out the DI core and the resin was black. funny how my first kent di resin lasted me 3 years, but this one only lasted me 1. well i threw that in the trash.

I have a refillable DI resin cartage and filled it up with fresh DI resin. replaced all prefilter and carbon. bought a DOW 100gph RO membrane ($100 T_T )

my tank is looking a little sad right now as there are some stringy brown algae and the corals are obviously not happy. will do more frequent water changes over the next month or 2.

at least my RO/DI production is sped up a little with the new membrane

my new fav toy, fish catcher/acclimate box

Model_CB_3A_002.jpg

i used it to catch 2 tomato clowns who were being an ass towards another pair of clowns. there are 3 compartments with removable partitions and sliding doors in front of each compartment drop some food near the entrance of the box to get the fish's attention and drop some more inside the box to cox the fish in. once they are in drop in the sliding trap door and vola.

its useful to train new fish to eat pellets and get them to know other tanks mates as well.

pretty satisfied with it. will definitely use it again to introduce new fish.

Awesome tank disaster!

Your yellow acros are yellow, and your purples are pastel. Low nutrient for sure, what are you doing for filtration, any Zeo?

Regards,

Christine

im just running bio pellets and a huge skimmer from avast marine. dosing calc and alk manually by hand. i am running zeovit's PIF (potassium iodine fluoride) the blue color,and recently dosing kent essential element and strontium & molybdenum.

Hey Disaster

You mentioned you used chemiclean to get rid of your cyano problem, I was wondering if you've noticed any negative impact on your sps post use. I still have a small bottle I bought yrs ago and have contemplated on giving it a try. Been battling cyano since my alk spike. I'm thinking the spike in alk./pH must have caused my tank to become biologically imbalanced given the cyano bacteria a chance to take root. The red slime was easy enough to rid of, but green slime seems to be more consistent and is thriving in low nutrients despite my efforts. Though, it's very likely it's feeding off my bio-pellets also. Which brings me to another question. Were you running bio-pellets during the chemiclean use?

Hey Ausreef,

I didnt notice any negative impact on my SPS when I used chemiclean in my tank. They didnt seem to be bothered by it. The only problem I have with was my constant exploding skimmer which took 3 15% water changes to get under control. I was running my bio-pellets when I'm dosed chemiclean.

Hey Ausreef,

I didnt notice any negative impact on my SPS when I used chemiclean in my tank. They didnt seem to be bothered by it. The only problem I have with was my constant exploding skimmer which took 3 15% water changes to get under control. I was running my bio-pellets when I'm dosed chemiclean.

Guess I will start my dose tonight, and did you run an air stone to keep the tank oxygenated? I'm thinking leaving the skimmer on without the cup will have a similar affect.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Asureef

No, i didnt bother with the air stone

with the water cascading through the different baffles inside my sump was enough to oxygenate the water. Everything was fine with the chemiclean without an airstone

A word of caution tho, the skimmer will be puking bubbles for a while afterwards, i would suggest you do a large 50% water change after your 2 days

Finally got around to taking pictures of my full spectrum light fully finished. All LED bulbs have 60degree lenses on them. All pictures are shot with a nikon D200 with the same settings, same white balance, all settings are the same except for the shutter speed.

100% royal blue

DSC_5163.JPG

100% blue

DSC_5164.JPG

100% white

DSC_5165.JPG

100% red, cyan and UV

DSC_5166.JPG

100% royal blue + blue

DSC_5167.JPG

100% royal blue + blue + white

DSC_5168.JPG

100% royal blue + blue + white + red, cyan and UV

DSC_5169.JPG

100% royal blue + 85% blue + 75% white + 100% red, cyan and UV

This is how I normally would run my lights

DSC_5170.JPG

100% royal blue + 85% blue + 75% white + 100% red, cyan and UV + ATI coral plus + Purple Plus

DSC_5171.JPG

100% royal blue + red, cyan and UV

DSC_5173.JPG

100% blue + red, cyan and UV

DSC_5174.JPG

100% white + red, cyan and UV

DSC_5175.JPG

The FTS using different configurations is quite nice, really gives people an idea how the different emitters react on the coral colours. Tank looks great as well!

• 2 weeks later...

picked up some new fish on new years day! not really sure what this specific breed is called, but this is a cross between the offspring of a true perc+black clown + a snow flake clown. the shop keep said its a new breed and only a handful is available.

IMG_20130101_182202.jpg

IMG_20130101_182205.jpg

That's awesome glad you like it! Do you have any pictures for demonstration? Or video be better?

hey espresso, i did manage to get some pictures of the fish catcher for you

DSC_5179.JPG

DSC_5180.JPG

ill upload a video of it in a bit

its that plastic box shown in the picture. basically there are trap doors in the front. you feed your fish inside the box to lure the fish inside. once their in, you drop the doors trapping them in

and if your wondering whats inside the box...

DSC_5176.JPG

DSC_5178.JPG

DSC_5181.JPG