Cultivated Reef

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

Builder Anthony

Ya i noticed that table area you had over there with all kinds of parts laying around.Figured you were going to be moking some soon.How much were the parts for that.

disaster999

heat sink was @ 35rmb

thermal glue @ 5rmb

8 XP-G 6500K white @ 15.50rmb each

10 XP-E Royal Blue @ 18.00rmb each

6 XP-E Blue @ 13.00rmb each

1 XP-E Red @ 12.80rmb

2 Meanwell ELN-48-60D driver @ 150.00rmb each

24 60 Degrees Optics @ 2.00rmb each

Grand total so far, 782.80rmb which is around 125 U.S. dollars

add around 50 bucks for hardware and acrylic skin and you get a AI SOL knock off for less than 1/2 the price.

Edited by disaster999
disaster999

haha thanks for the kind words. i wouldnt say im winning, fighting a loosing battle with my fish right now...im thinking i need to catch the 2 remaining fish in my tank and treat them for ich and let my tank run fishless for a month or 2 just to starve all the remaining parasites.

on other news, went shopping today for the LED build. project box, 8 core wire, fans (went overboard with the noctua fan :P) power supply, dimming knobs

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

priced out the entire build...it cost me around $200usd for all the parts needed to finish this light. working on an acrylic skin that will wrap the light to hide most of the wires. i hope what i have envisioned wouldnt look too bad.

disaster999
hey how much would shipping to 38138 cost for one of those?

i would have to see how much it would cost to ship this...also im not sure if i want start building these for a small fee. ill get back to you on that :P

heres some more 99% finished product shots, excuse the stuffed animal :D

IMAG0873.jpg

IMAG0874.jpg

driver box

IMAG0875.jpg

wire exits through a hole in the heatsink and out the top for a clean look when hung

IMAG0876.jpg

see those black dots on the wood? the light was hot enough to burn the lacquer. it was on the desk for like 5 mins tops

IMAG0877.jpg

also, picked these up when i went to a shoreline in the north western part of hong kong. i wonder how these would do in my tank.

IMAG0868.jpg

Edited by disaster999
disaster999

stupid ich, so it wiped out all but 2 fish in my tank. my purple tang was covered in ich a week or 2 ago and i thought he was a goner. now hes pretty much ich free and seem to be doing good.

i cant add any fish to my tank since i know i still have ich, and its pretty much impossible to catch the 2 remaining fish in my tank to leave it fishless for a month to kill off the ich

Paleoreef103
stupid ich, so it wiped out all but 2 fish in my tank. my purple tang was covered in ich a week or 2 ago and i thought he was a goner. now hes pretty much ich free and seem to be doing good.

i cant add any fish to my tank since i know i still have ich, and its pretty much impossible to catch the 2 remaining fish in my tank to leave it fishless for a month to kill off the ich

Yeah, I know that feeling. I'm just going to keep my tank at the three surviving fish for 2-3 months and hope it doesn't come back before adding any more...

• 4 weeks later...
disaster999

havent update this in a while, nothing too exciting going on with my tank. i cant seem win against red slime algae and brown algae in my tank. just did a major cleanup in the sump, scraping a cup worth of algae in the frag chamber.

i did pick up a few new corals.

DSC_3910.JPG

DSC_3911.JPG

DSC_3914.JPG

took some pics of my other corals while i was at it

DSC_3916.JPG

DSC_3919.JPGDSC_3915.JPG

DSC_3920.JPG

• 1 month later...
disaster999

havent updated this in almost 2 months, thought i should give an update

i was battling cyano for a while after the ich outbreak and my fish dying. i could of used chemiclean and be done with, but i thought ill give the more natural way a try first. first i tried turning off my lights for 3 days and kept my tank in total darkness. this helped kill some of the unwanted algae but the cyano was still present. 2 SPS RTN from the lights out and i was able to frag one.

then i tried dr.tims waste away as it was advertised to clean up my tank of sluge, but after adding the 16oz bottle into my tank i saw no significant improvement in my cyano algae. my skimmate did turn a lot darker and smelled a lot more than before, but other than that not a whole lot of improvements.

i decided i had enough and just use the chemical route instead, so went and got myself some chemiclean. within 2 days all the cyano was pretty much dead. just some dead tissue still lingering on rocks and such. i did a 20% water change, changed out my carbon and turned on my skimmer, this is what happened

i waited 2 more days, did another 20% water change and this is what happened

so i waited another 2 days, changed yet another 20% and my skimmer finally simmer down. all the cyano is gone, my tank is looking a whole lot cleaner. my corals and and fish probably loves the water since i did an equivalent of 50% water change this week.

d'Espresso

Maybe i should try this method. i am dealing with ick also so each week i take out all the fish out and put in QT then i wait 2 weeks to put them back in after 10% w/c every 3-4 days because i wanted to do it the natural way also. So far so good. Glad everything is doing much better for you.. can't wait to see pictures soon!

disaster999

so you take out your fish every month?? arent you stressing out your fish a bit too much like that?

i would just take out all your fish, do some sort of treatment whether copper or hyposalinity to kill off the ick, and leave the tank fishless for at least a month to let the remaining ick die off. with ever new fish i would put it in QT to ensure theres no ick before adding it to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent build. I've been following for awhile now and I hope the algae has cleared up as well as the ick. I do have a couple of questions on your led build. How did you wire the fan on your heat sink? Is it linked to a chain of LEDs? Did you ever make the skin for the lights? I'm in the final stages of my own build and now I'm working on the aesthetics of it.

disaster999

ive gotten lazy and havent done anything to make my light pretty. but im thinking of having one sheet of acrylic with bent sides and be done with it.

since i have a power supply to drive the dimming controls for the meanwells, i just ran the wires from the power supply to the fans so when the whole system turns on, the fan will turn on as well.