ReefCleaners.org

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

wow now I always love your stuff but wow!!!!!

how did i miss this!

thanks =) maybe i should put this in the members tank area

Tank is so sweet. Need to put it in your sig.

Now you need to tell me how you got that skimmer for 100 bucks.

i will when this tank is stocked...its too bare right now, slowly emptying my 20 gal tank into this tank and i still have LOTS of room left for other corals.

look at my location and you will know why.

Dang Son! B)

:D

Edited by disaster999

sighness, my fish has ick and had to take all of them out for treatment. which means my rock scape has to come down and i can never recreate what i had before. spent the whole day yesterday trying to get it close to before or come up with something better. with a sore back, prune hands and hours of swearing, i still cant scape it to something i like. need to take a break from it and come back to it another time and see if i can come up with something.

sighness, my fish has ick and had to take all of them out for treatment. which means my rock scape has to come down and i can never recreate what i had before. spent the whole day yesterday trying to get it close to before or come up with something better. with a sore back, prune hands and hours of swearing, i still cant scape it to something i like. need to take a break from it and come back to it another time and see if i can come up with something.

sucks a bunch man but im sure u will come up witj some thing even nicer. :)

blahhh...my first casualty, purple firefish got beat up pretty bad in the QT tank by my dwarf flame angel. i quickly put it into a breeder box but i noticed it too late and it didnt make it.

maybe i should of put it in my small tank, but i didnt want to risk introducing ick and killing off my fish either.

sighness

picher time!

since as i mentioned, theres ick in the tank and its affecting the fish, so i had to tear down the whole tank to catch all the fish.

here they are stuck in a plastic bin

DSC_3537.JPG

DSC_3538.JPG

heres the fish list:

powder brown tang

juvenile emperor angel

dwarf flame angel

tomato clown

i THINK a Black Combtooth Blenny

6 blue damsels (which im might give away later, dont know why my parents talked me into getting them),

4 chromis (which i will end up getting more later)

im expected to get flamed for this but oh well, its a QT tank, everyone is happy eating like a pig and no sign of stress. so as long as they are happy ill let them be. im also doing 1-2 days water changes in the tub to bring salinity down to 1.009 and reduce ammonia/nitrates, but im suspecting the levels are quite low. none of the fish seems to be affect...oh yeah, this is hong kong, its the norm =P

also, after a long week, my family finally agreed on a landscape that looks alright. they all love the previous one, but as most of you know its near impossible to get the exact same scape as before.

DSC_3546.JPG

i moved more corals from my 20 gal to the new tank. the newest addition is the blue maxima clam and the 40+ head frog spawn.

yes you heard that right!

FORTY, FOUR ZERO, 40 HEADS

i never knew my frog spawn grow that much! i know its big, but not 40 head big! and its only going to grow bigger, i can see baby frog spawns branching out from the base. this is going to be the main show piece of the tank. ill take a picture of it when its not pissed off.

this is what it looks like when i first got it, it had around 10 heads, but half of it died, probably bad water.

DSC_0455.jpg

Edited by disaster999
that is a huge frog spawn but no where near the size of the world record hammer coral which has at least 150 heads. look it up on youtube. :)

i know its not any record breaker, im just surprised it got so big =)

Question about the Stand. Is that Wood or Formica?

the stand is made out of laminated wood.

moved my final clam over...it was suck on the class so i had to cut him loose. i was scared ill kill it in the process, but everything went smoothly and he was freed from the glass with a few cuts.

DSC_3555.JPG

my other clam

DSC_3554.JPG

i will need to get some top down pics...to get the full color of my clams

moved more corals over...toad stool

DSC_3558.JPG

my soon to be zoa island

DSC_3560.JPG

FTS

DSC_3557.JPG

side FTS

DSC_3566.JPG

before and after pic

DSC_3151.JPG

after

DSC_3564.JPG

the end result of my other tank

before

DSC_3421.JPG

after

DSC_3553.JPG

Edited by disaster999

getting really REALLY tired of my cheap pump and valve...

problem 1.

as water evaporates from my tank, the water level in the chamber where my pump sits gets lower and lower. as this is happening, the flow rate slows down. then when i add topoff water, the level in that chamber rises and flow increases again

which leads to

problem 2.

its a ##### to set the damn drain valve (herbie style). i would have to constantly adjust it so that it wouldnt suck air, or rise water level so high in the overflow that it will not surface skim. i have a ball valve on the drain and i can ONLY set the water level in the overflow so that it sucks air, or waterlevel is too high. i dont have a fine enough adjustment so that it sits inbetween.

this is truly ####### me off. would a better build quality pump eliminate my fluctuating flow? would a PVC globe valve allow a much much finer adjustment?

Sorry for this question as I don't have a tank with an overflow to the sump so no first hand knowledge here. But aren't you supposed to have the drain just go full bore, no valves, into the sump. And isn't the control supposed to be on the pump, which should be rated to handle all the overflow can throw at it?

getting really REALLY tired of my cheap pump and valve...

problem 1.

as water evaporates from my tank, the water level in the chamber where my pump sits gets lower and lower. as this is happening, the flow rate slows down. then when i add topoff water, the level in that chamber rises and flow increases again

which leads to

problem 2.

its a ##### to set the damn drain valve (herbie style). i would have to constantly adjust it so that it wouldnt suck air, or rise water level so high in the overflow that it will not surface skim. i have a ball valve on the drain and i can ONLY set the water level in the overflow so that it sucks air, or waterlevel is too high. i dont have a fine enough adjustment so that it sits inbetween.

this is truly ####### me off. would a better build quality pump eliminate my fluctuating flow? would a PVC globe valve allow a much much finer adjustment?

a new member of the "f plumbing" club!

a gate valve is much easier to control than a ball valve. i'll never go back to ball valves again! anyway, i would certainly try that before pulling your hair out too much.

Sorry for this question as I don't have a tank with an overflow to the sump so no first hand knowledge here. But aren't you supposed to have the drain just go full bore, no valves, into the sump. And isn't the control supposed to be on the pump, which should be rated to handle all the overflow can throw at it?

not for a herbie. the valve on a herbie goes on the drain out of the overflow, and you just try to match it to whatever you've got the return flow running at (you can also have a valve on the return flow, but you set that at whatever you want to choke the return pump's flow down to, and then you match the drain valve to that flow so that you keep the water level in your overflow between the main drain and the emergency drain).

Edited by timdanger

i tried to find a globe valve big enough for my return piping, but so far its been pretty hard. most places dont carry them, or dont carry the size i need. maybe i need to order it from the states if needed.

no one likes a video of clownfish hosting a nem??

anyways, tested my mag in my tank and it is 1000ppm. inorder to rise it to 1300ppm i need around 1.1L of brightwell's mag or 1.6L kent tech M

theres gotta be an easier way

Use the powdered mag like the one by seachem. The liquid supplements are essentially the same thing as the powdered ones just diluted with ro water.

Ps nice aquascaping it reminds me of Pride Rock in the lion king.

Edited by amnestia
Use the powdered mag like the one by seachem. The liquid supplements are essentially the same thing as the powdered ones just diluted with ro water.

Ps nice aquascaping it reminds me of Pride Rock in the lion king.

i use the seachem powdered mag, too. much better bang for your buck than the liquid.

cool, i will have to look into that

anyways, new pics with fish.

DSC_3592.JPG

trying my hands on kinetic style pics

DSC_3595.JPG

DSC_3596.JPG

my fat blenny...wont stop eating algae

DSC_3604.JPG

tomato clown and his home

DSC_3597.JPG

sps is enjoying the water

DSC_3594.JPG