ReefCleaners.org

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999

jndragon, sorry i missed this point in your post, the red algae is all cleared from my tank, all algae is pretty much gone also, im left with quite a bit of detritus in my tank which i gotta clean up this weekend with my water change. the ich havent showed itself for a few months now since the last outbreak. i was able to keep new fish and shrimp in my tank once again. i think it really has to do with my dosing quite a lot of potassium in my tank and using non reef brand chemicals to dose calcium. ive backed off potassium and switched back to using turbo calcium from kent and everything seems pretty good now.

xilez, chemiclean does nothing for the ich, all it is is carbon that absorbs chemicals, removes odor and color from the tank. if you want to get rid of ich, you either have to keep the tank fishless for at least a month. and QT your fish making sure they dont have ich to begin with at first.

• 3 weeks later...
disaster999

its been like...4 months since i bought any new sps, had a new shipment in last week and a bunch of people were thinking of a fragging group so i went, and picked this up.

DSC_4145.JPG

DSC_4148.JPG

disaster999

its a sps from fiji, not really sure exactly what its called, bluish white tip, purpleish body.

i hope it gets enough light where its at.

been more than a week and so far that SPS havent lost its colors and its polyps is fully extended. im guessing it likes where it is now.

also, just noticed my cleaner shrimp pair got busy after i introduced them to the tank and one of them is carrying eggs already. it would be fun to see them spawn and get eaten

That a nice one. I just picked up a very similar piece from Bali, unfortunately it browned out and lost the glory it had before shipment. It has hints of it's former glory, but I think it's going to be a while.

yeah, i have a pink milli from fiji and it was pretty sexy looking, scroll back a few pages you will see it.

my bulbs at that time were on its last leg and needs to be replaced. it turned all brown and i can see some STN. upgraded to LED and stopped that form happening. color is coming back not its definitely a lot darker than before. its been almost half a year with the LEDs and i still cant return to its former glory

• 2 weeks later...

just tested my water

420ppm calcium

4.5dkh alkalinity :o

1290ppm magnesium

470+ppm potassium :wacko::blink:

0ppm phosphate

i add 1 table spoon of baking soda each day, 4 drops of KZ PIF everyday

looks like i have my first problem with my light. i noticed one side of the tank is significantly more yellow than the other. one of my coral is loosing its color as well. with my unsophisticated test, i placed my hand under one side of the blue LED string and sure enough i didnt feel any heat coming off of them, damn near burnt myself with the other side.

gotta take the thing apart and diagnose the problem tonight. anyone know if meanwell drivers tend to do that?

Disaster, lurked your thread for a while. I can't remember exactly and I'm no LED expert, but were you sure you got the good bin CREEs? Sorry to hear about the problems, but at least you were able to ID the source now.

Good luck figuring it out from here.

i think i dont have enough ventilation for the meanwell drivers, just opened them up tonight and the drivers were pretty toasty. the one string that was significantly dimmer was only getting 0.25amps no matter how much i adjusted it.

i guess i have to order a new one and drill more holes in my project box. i already took off all the covers on the drivers so they get more airflow.

• 5 weeks later...
Was just checking reef-builders and saw the post. Congrats

I see I'm not the only one to find it today either.

Congrats man

Just started the night shift at work and I love finding easter eggs like this tank. Very nicely done!

thanks all. im very honored.

took some pictures the other day

DSC_4175.JPG

DSC_4177.JPG

DSC_4178.JPG

DSC_4180.JPG

DSC_4181.JPG

DSC_4183.JPG

DSC_4184.JPG

also was given this surprise on my bday

415653_10100284502541665_1222414855_o.jpg

its been like...4 months since i bought any new sps, had a new shipment in last week and a bunch of people were thinking of a fragging group so i went, and picked this up.

DSC_4145.JPG

DSC_4148.JPG

Looks like an acro Formosa Stag. Beautiful! Do you have an updated pic of this coral? You tank is looking awesome btw

Looks like an acro Formosa Stag. Beautiful! Do you have an updated pic of this coral? You tank is looking awesome btw

sorry, i dont have an update picture of this coral. truth is i couldnt keep the colors after all and the coral turned brown. probably due the driver screwing up and wasnt able to put out more than 25% of power. I have since replaced the driver and moved the coral higher up into my scape and hopefully the colors will return.

i will post a picture once its picture worthy

Awesome! Happy Bday!

Happy birthday and congrats on reef builders!

Thanks =)

just took some pictures of my new sohal tang. this is probably the biggest fish i had in my tank, and the smallest one they have in the LFS. hes still pretty shy and hides when i come near my tank

DSC_4213.JPG

DSC_4222.JPG

here he is getting a check up by my cleaner shrimp

DSC_4209.JPG

heres my purple tang

DSC_4217.JPG

random images if my cleaner shrimp

DSC_4208.JPG

DSC_4210.JPG