Top Shelf Aquatics

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

thanks =)

i gotta start finishing up this light. i cant stand the wires hanging off it and the billion of plugs this thing takes up. something has to be done. its driving me crazy.

another problem with the LED build, the lens i ordered dont work. i tried just about every type of glue just short of CA and they just fall off. the problem with the lens is they just go over the bubble part of the LED, theres next to nothing for the glue to bit into.

found some XP series specific lens with a square base that actually grips onto the base of the LED chip for a more secure fit

disaster999

finally sorted out the lens problem, bought ones that fit better, but didnt work with my light configuration which means i had to unglue all 48 LEDs, and spread them out a little inorder for the lenses to fit. but it was worth it. the final product is much nicer and a lot less light leak. the spread is better as well.

• 2 weeks later...
disaster999

after 2 weeks with the LED light. starting to see some color changes in the corals. the pink millie i bought before was half dead because of my old light. its starting to make a come back.

DSC_3530.JPG

DSC_3531.JPG

DSC_3533.JPG

DSC_3535.JPG

DSC_3537.JPG

DSC_3538.JPG

DSC_3541.JPG

DSC_3542.JPG

DSC_3543.JPG

DSC_3546.JPG

DSC_3551.JPG

DSC_3552.JPG

DSC_3557.JPG

DSC_3558.JPG

DSC_3556.JPG

DSC_3553.JPG

disaster999

thanks. i cant say much for my fish and inverts, but my corals are definitely doing pretty good.

adding t5 was always in my plans...my frag tank in the sump is lit with LEDs and i never liked the color it produced. granted they are cheapo china LEDs, but still, it was very pastel-y looking.

thanks. i cant say much for my fish and inverts, but my corals are definitely doing pretty good.

adding t5 was always in my plans...my frag tank in the sump is lit with LEDs and i never liked the color it produced. granted they are cheapo china LEDs, but still, it was very pastel-y looking.

Get some Radions!

a bit overkill for my frag tank. also its just a frag tank, dont need crazy lighting. just something to keep them happy

Yea ur right. What was I thinking

disaster999
Beautiful reef. Great work on the DIY LED/T5 lights.

Wow, beautiful, colors are amazing and great pics as well.

Do you use anything special for top-down shots?

thanks, i use a DIY to down box, basically just a few sheets of scrap acrylic glued into a box and secured to the tripod mount.

well pretty bummed out right now, 2 of my tangs just died. its probably ich that was dormant throughout winter, decided to wake up and start a feast. theres nothing much i can really do right now but just ride it out :( I tried cleaner shrimp but i cant seem to keep them alive. my corals are doing fine tho...go figure

disaster999

Thanks d :happy:

im pretty happy how my sps turned out. i cant really say much about my fish tho. right now im just waiting for all my fish to die and leave it fishless for a month before adding new fish in.

sad to see all my fish i kept so long go :tears:

Paleoreef103

I'm sorry Disaster. I had a similar experience about a month ago. The four fish I've had the longest all died (Three of which were in my care for almost 4 years), but the three fish I've had the shortest all pulled through (including my pygmy angel). Are all of them infected? I love the tank though.

disaster999
Wow! just looked through (pics) and very nice coloration and selection! Gives me ideas!

Thanks. your tank is coming alone nicely too

I'm sorry Disaster. I had a similar experience about a month ago. The four fish I've had the longest all died (Three of which were in my care for almost 4 years), but the three fish I've had the shortest all pulled through (including my pygmy angel). Are all of them infected? I love the tank though.

I had 4 clowns, 3 tangs, and an angel. im only left with a flame back angel and a red sea purple tang. the tang have ich on its body and i dont think it will hold out any longer. the angel is still looking pretty healthy.

pretty bummed out about this. my fish have been ich free for about a year and a half and all of a sudden it started creeping up and wiped out 75% of my fish

disaster999

started a new light today. this is for my friends 14" cube he wants to setup at home. he saw my light and liked it a lot and i offered to make one for him. he just have to pay for all the parts. nice simple build.

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

8 XP-G 6500K white

10 XP-E Royal Blue

6 XP-E Blue

1 XP-E Red

2 Meanwell ELN-48-60D driver

60 Degrees Optics

going to wrap this with a simple acylic skin.