Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

florida biotope?

Brooklyngal

Ive been tossing the idea around of turning the AP24 that Ill be getting saturday into a florida biotope, and was wondering if the stock lighting would be enough for the gorgs I want to keep (I also plan to have many zoas, rics, mushrooms, and maybe one or 2 LPS)?

also, for fish, what would be a good stocklist? I was thinking I would make this a peaceful tank with a blackcap basslet or a pair of chalk bass, a pearly jawfish, one more open water swimmer (ideas?) or a blenny (Im thinking I might not be able to keep a blenny and the jawfish in the same tank...), and maybe a pair of small gobies (neon, masked, rusty)... sound okay?

The jawfish, blenny, and gobies sound okay. You'll need to research the bass/basslets for aggression issues.

If you haven't checked already, sealifeinc.net is a good source for Florida livestock.

thanks for the adivce... I was planning to place an order with sealifeinc.net soon, looks like they have good stuff for low prices.

• 2 weeks later...

chalk bass aggressive? i have had them, always my most skiddish push over fish. i guess with masked gobies though what does that mean right?

just my opinion, if you are going to do a biotope try get some of the more unusual fish. in my florida fowlr, (not a nano) i have:

1 french angel -(okay pretty common)

1 juvie pudding wife wrasse -awesome fish, but not nano

1 sailfin blenny - nano-able

1 goldline blenny - nano-able

1 sharpnose puffer

1 juvie porkfish

1 juvie high hat

1 red lizardfish (juvie)

1 fish me and my brother call the "orange spotted damsel", when I checked it out it didnt have a common name, (or one that was in that book), so that is what we came up with (it has an orange spot), and forgot the scientific name - nano-able

1 the seaweed blenny that always gets to stick around despite my constant fiddling with stock lists

1 oddscale cardinal fish - pending, he is on the wish list - nano-able

1 lancer dragonet - next fish i will add, just trying to do more research

the variety is cool, and while they are not rare fish by any means, they are unusual to some degree, just some ideas. Would like to read a thread about someone who owns a 3line basslet

here is google images link to a 3line basslet:

http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:AF0Wr_...trilineatum.jpg

and a juvie puddingwife for the fun of it:

http://www.pbcrrt.org/Quiz/PB0194bH.jpg

(not mine - neither are)

very hard to find them. deepwater fish in florida are hard to come by in most cases, they are expensive to gather and dont generate the income of the shallow species so they aren't very prevalent.

Archived