inTank Media Baskets

Memoirs Of A Pico

badfish816

tank is hanging in there. i have an algae problem since i have been using that t5 fixture. i need to hang it higher above the tank. getting ready to move here in the next few weeks so i am dreading that. hopefully i can set my frag tank and redo this pico. pics once i get the camera back from my parents.

• 2 months later...
i have the ato top off controller but haven't picked up a pump for it and i dont like the huge sensor it comes with. i'm dirt poor right now. so i dont think i will be able to spend any money for awhile. manual top offs are all i can do right now.

You can do better than manual topoffs when you're away if you want. You need a culligan jug like this one:

IMG_3559.jpg

Use CA (krazy glue) to glue in a tube, that's longer than you need. Rest the jug on the tank and mark the desired water line on the tube, then cut it to length. Here's a close-up - the clear tube is glued into the original jug:

IMG_3560.jpg

Then, when you rest it on top of your tank, as it evaps water drips into the tank. A reservoir this size should last your pico for longer than you're willing to leave it unattended (shown here on my son's freshwater tank):

IMG_3564.jpg

Overall this setup is probably too ugly for you when you're near your tank, but very practical when away. Or, if you want to get fancy, hide it on a shelf somewhere and just run the hose over to the tank, and you can use a setup like this all the time.

Osric

• 4 months later...
badfish816

hey guys. thanks for the concerns. i have been to hell and back. my tank took a huge hit awhile ago and lost some stuff. my spartans are suffering and trying to recoup. i lost my rainbow monti and my orange monti is tryin to make a come back. i will get some pics up soon hopefully. the tank is still at my inlaws house as i have not yet had the time or the space to move it over to my new place. i need it hear though. lol

badfish816

hey guys. missed all you. the tank is being over run with GSP. and i mean like mad!!!! i need to frag a bunch. i am currently trying to set up a frag tank and move everything over and start over on the pico. i am never using that Bali Alor rock again. but i need new bulbs for the NEP and dont want to spend the cash just yet.

hey freemind all my coral came from random people online. i used to frequent paradise aquatics in OP. some supplies i got from fish world here in blue springs. but the best store is the one out there at you guys mall down off 135th street i believe, forgot the name of it though. i joined the local reef gang here on Saltcity.org. pretty cool guys and gals

:o

Can't understand why I missed your update...

That actually sounds like a fun pico, any pictures of this GSP madness? I bet it looks wicked.

badfish816

i packed my camera in the move and now i am trying to locate it. the gsp has gotten so bad it is starting to clime the walls. haha. i checked it the other day and the orange monti cap finally died and the spartans dont look like they are going to recover. sux. but thats apart of reefing i guess. my next project is getting my frag tank going. i have a tunze 9002 that i bought and have never used yet!!!

and i am not quite sure i want to introduce xenia into this tank. kinda scary. lol

Edited by badfish816

hey badfish....glad so see you again :) I left for awhile too. I don't have my pico anymore but started over with a nanocube. I'm enjoying this one a lot more.

I love the look of over-grown tanks. I bet the gsp looks great! I'll look forward to seeing a pic. of it ;)

• 3 weeks later...
badfish816

the bali was gorgeous when i got it, lots of life. and that is exactly why i wont use it again. if it is for a fuge or some type of biotope then awesome. but i battled and am still battling unwanted algea and pests that came with that rock. just too much of hassle. if i were to restart i would just use base rock, bake it then seed with some coraline. i can control it more that way. a lot of people like the nature of it. but it was a pain to control. lol

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey everybody. It has been ages since I was on here. I was thinking about how my tank used to look and after my hard drive crashed I lost all pics. life happened after the tank crash and haven't had the time or money to invest since. But i've been getting that itch lately for another pico. Just trying to convince the wife its a good idea. Hope to see some familiar faces around here.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
badfish816

Hey yall. How's everyone doing? Any of the Picotope OGs still on here? The wife is encouraging me to start this up again now that we are somewhat stable.

• Wow 1