SaltCritters.com

White Brain Coral

Nemo Niblets

Nemo Niblets

So I was at a LFS today and I saw this super cool brain coral. It looked awesome but, it's white. The store is JUNK and the only guy running it calls the livestock 'nemo', 'anemone', or 'coral'. The thing is, everything there is dirt cheap. Anyways, the brain coral is a wellsophyllia I'm pretty sure, maybe a lobo, and it's white with a little neon green on the top. Is this normal? Also, it has this little chunk out of it... it almost looks like when a worm bits through part of an apple. It's black and maybe a third of a centimeter deep. Should I stay away from this? It's only 30 bucks :o

Nemo Niblets
it's bleached and will probably die.

Oh wow. Thanks. Is there no such thing as a white brain coral? :mellow:

Also.. there was a hammer coral that looked white under the actinics too. What's up with that?

corallineadam

what kind of white

i have a brain that kind of whitish with neon green markings and its healthy as could be! my brain has like very light pinkish like white persons skin... not coke white...

what kinda white is it?

Fade2White12

A bleached brain is something that can be brought back, but you don't sound like that experienced of a reefer. If you want to go and rescue it from a poor establishment, try going in there and asking them to reduce the price since it is dying. It might have a better chance with you than over there - just know that your chances of success are not that great.

TheUnfocusedOne

white generally means there no zoothanthellae

the coral more or less looses its ability to feed itself as it mostly relys on these bacteria for its food

Nemo Niblets

I'm pretty sure it's white, bleached white, except for the green on top. I hate that store but they mostly do freshwater so everything is dirt cheap. The 30 dollar brain is the most expensive of all the corals.. I figured it was bleached but I was hoping it might not since it looked super neat.

Fade2White, you're right. I've been reefing for a month. I'm not too interested in taking care of a damaged coral, I'm pretty sure I won't be succesful.

I'm glad I asked you all, thanks alot for the advice.

Nemo Niblets
what kind of white

i have a brain that kind of whitish with neon green markings and its healthy as could be! my brain has like very light pinkish like white persons skin... not coke white...

what kinda white is it?

I'm pretty sure it's coke white, but I'd love a picture of yours :P

OK so ... sort of related, I think I am killing my brain :(

It started with more colour but is slowly getting more and more white. I haven't gotten it to take food (have offered mysis targeted and frozen cyclops to the whole tank). Can someone point me at a thread for saving these guys? He's at the very bottom of my solana but in direct 150W lighting - will that be too bright?

thanks

Osric

corallineadam
I'm pretty sure it's coke white, but I'd love a picture of yours :P

6496_515891607230_30900160_30751224_91311_n.jpg

5456_516200123960_30900160_30765170_6853724_n.jpg

thats it up at the summit of my rockwork... i know they love being in the sand, but space will not permit it right now...when i have the room, the brain will be in the sand

but i must ssay it seeems very happy where it is right now.

OK so ... sort of related, I think I am killing my brain :(

HAHAHA!!!! this reminds me of that "this is ur brain on drugs" commercial...

I haven't gotten it to take food (have offered mysis targeted and frozen cyclops to the whole tank). Can someone point me at a thread for saving these guys? He's at the very bottom of my solana but in direct 150W lighting - will that be too bright?

it should be ok with the lighting, im not sure of your specifics but my brain seems to be fine under direct light. they like very low flow areas -- maybe this is your problem?

feedingwise, i would target feed mysid shrimp AT NIGHT when the brains tentacles are extended. they tend to eat during the night time and can eat quite a large amount.

i dont feed mine regularly, but when i do it loves it!

turn the powerheads/pumps off and taget feed it a couple mysids at night -- it will eat! :)

I'm in the process of nursing a white brain back to health. It was totally bleached white and retracted. I took it out of the main display and put it in my sump and basically forgot about it for months. My light on the sump is very weak and wasn't even on for an extended period. The brain seemed to get better actually in the lower light. One day it was totally puffed up and had little streaks of red and green coming back. Now it's color is even more and I have placed it in my main display to see how it will do.

two weeks ago, I acquired a white brain with a neon green color around the mouths and pink markings on the fleshy pieces. I don't think it was bleached - it seems super healthy, accepts anything and everything I feed it, and expands nicely.

Wouldn't a picture of the coral in question be necessary to determine if it was bleached or not?

Archived