47 replies to this topic

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

i wish i would have taken more pics of my tanks from the beginning and i lost other pics by the way of computer crashes. well here it goes. this is my budget 14BC. all the rock in the tank is from an open field in las vegas. also if you look and say that there is flag stone in there that is used in landscaping...yep that is what is is. so in all i spent $0.00 on my rock. when i first started the tank, i used crushed coral but that gave me so much problems that i finally broke the tank down and threw away all of the CC and put in regular fine white sand. i left a little CC for aesthetic reasons. for lighting, thanks to Evilc66 and waterproof, i did a DIY LED retro lighting system with blue LED moonlights from measure explorer on ebay setup on autotimers. i had a custom sump that i built, but that blew up on me last christmas. water every where!. the only mods i have done to the tank other than the lighting was i replaced the stock pump for a mj900 with a hydor flo. i have stevie t's media rack in the back with carbon, soon to have cheato, and pillow stuffing on top. for a heater i have an el cheapo 50w tetra mini heater from walmart which fits nicely in the 1st chamber. enough talk here is an old pic, well as old as i have, an nothing to brag about. so here is my modest tank:
Posted Image
it not much but it has grown some. here is an updated pic of the tank as of 8/9/09
Posted Image

livestock:
CUC
red and blue hermits
dwarf ceriths
Florida ceriths
limpets
bristleworms
of coarse pods
stomatella
peppermint shrimp
nassarius vibex

fish
ocellaris clown
neon goby (R.I.P)
Posted Image
feather duster

corals
acans (orange and blue) pics on page 2
metalic green mushrooms pics on page 2
fire and ice zoas
Posted Image
blue rics
pink panther zoas
sonalara (spelling?)
Posted Image
tri color/orange ric (is hiding behind rock and flame algea)
galaxea
pipe organ polyps
Posted Image
red, orange, and green monti's
Posted Image
green star polyps
Posted Image
and a various zoa rock which i believe has watermelon zoas, neon green, and some other zoas yet to be identified ($40 from Petco!)
Posted Image
Posted Image
candy apple cyphestrea
Posted Image
blue zoas (dont know real name)
Posted Image

macro algea
flame algea
brown unidentified macro algea
Posted Image
a red fern (? that's what the LFS called it)
Halimeda
Posted Image
mermaids brush (3 has popped of from the orginal one now passing away)
Posted Image

so this is my little budget tank so far.
bad pics, bad camera (broke so i used my cell phone)
anyways i hope you enjoy it
the 2 best things i did to this this tank is the LED lighting and changing out the CC for reguar white sand. i have had no problems since.

ps the candy cane coral was relocated to my 37 gal. the clown was beating up up. it looked like he wanted to swim into the candy cane mouth or was french kissing it. he was beating it up and pushing it all over the tank.

recently added another candy cane, maze brain, pink pipe organ
no more corals for this tank. i'm just going to let it grow/fill out
new pics on page 2

Edited by deepdvnarq, 07 November 2009 - 11:26 AM.

opy01

opy01

Some people never go crazy. What horrible lives they must live.

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2009
  • Fort Worth, Tx
Very impressive! It's very bright and very colorfull. I hope mine looks that good when i get it fully stocked. Where are your LED light pics? I'd like to see the mod on that hood.

Edited by opy01, 10 August 2009 - 05:37 AM.

Posted Image
Powered by "The ULTIMATE LED Guide!"_______________Opy's Feedback

I wanna get beat up by a Tusken Raider too

a funny thing...it seems the less I fiddle in there the better things do.

I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other!

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

Very impressive! It's very bright and very colorfull. I hope mine looks that good when i get it fully stocked. Where are your LED light pics? I'd like to see the mod on that hood.

here ya go and thanks for the compliment. i lost most of the pics when my laptop blew up. well it didn't blow up, but there was a loud "pop" when i was using it and there was a lot of pics on there. i wil have to buy an enclosure so i can transfer everything over. but for now this is what i have.
Posted Image
Posted Image

jeremai

jeremai

an island of reality in an ocean of diarrhea

• Premium Members
  • 27,121 posts
  • Joined 08 Nov 2005
  • Las Vegas
I like the look of it with the flagstone, actually. It's unique in a vast sea of biocubes. ;)

I hope you get a new camera soon though, lol. Those phone pics probably don't do it justice.

pretty sure jer was referring to the length

reef information and articles
photography, writing, etc.

opy01

opy01

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2009
  • Fort Worth, Tx
Good luck with that. I hope it wasnt the hard drive that popped lol.
Posted Image

I like to glue animals to rocks and put disturbing amounts of electricity and saltwater next to each other!

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

I like the look of it with the flagstone, actually. It's unique in a vast sea of biocubes. ;)

I hope you get a new camera soon though, lol. Those phone pics probably don't do it justice.

lol no it doesn't
what camera do you recommend?
not too expensive though beginner's one

opy01

opy01

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2009
  • Fort Worth, Tx

lol no it doesn't
what camera do you recommend?
not too expensive though beginner's one

The Rebel XTi makes a great beginners camera. I used my Digital Rebel for years before upgrading to the 40D. You can get one on Ebay pretty cheap too.
Posted Image

DoubleD

DoubleD

I dose myself with Vodka.

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Joined 22 Dec 2008
  • Columbus, OH
FYI, the desert rock out by Las Vegas is from prehistoric sea beds. So good move on your part.

:)

I like the look.

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas
thanks Opy and DoubleD. i need to look for one quick. i got to take more pics and some of the 37 gal too! i just added an ORA birds nest and small frags of sunset monti caps and i rearranged a little bit.

Desert rocks from prehistoric sandbeds....hmmmm........ i think i need to go get more and start cycling them. there are piles the size of houses just lying around in the empty lot.

DoubleD

DoubleD

I dose myself with Vodka.

• Members
  • 445 posts
  • Joined 22 Dec 2008
  • Columbus, OH

thanks Opy and DoubleD. i need to look for one quick. i got to take more pics and some of the 37 gal too! i just added an ORA birds nest and small frags of sunset monti caps and i rearranged a little bit.

Desert rocks from prehistoric sandbeds....hmmmm........ i think i need to go get more and start cycling them. there are piles the size of houses just lying around in the empty lot.

That's what I read on the signs out by Valley of Fire anyway. :)

coolwaters

coolwaters

STiLl N0ob

• Members
  • 3,893 posts
  • Joined 11 Apr 2007
  • Milpitas, CA
12 leds lit up that tank? i guess my 20 leds in a 20g is overkill?
not even going sps...
Posted Image
FFFuuuunnnnkkk O.o

ScionRacerbB

ScionRacerbB

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 01 Aug 2009
  • Kihei, HI / Thousand Oaks, CA
Tanks looking good man...

stay wet...keep diving...
Aloha,
Sartore Family
Larry PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer #230873
Susie
Makena

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

Tanks looking good man...

stay wet...keep diving...

thanks!

i'm trying to stay wet! it's hard when you live in a desert. :lol: i stopped at recue diver. i will have to continue when things get better.

and to coolwater
you should be fine with 20 leds on that 20 gal.
i have 20 on the 10 gal on working on now! :) almost done. just need to finish the canopy and put in the uv's
9 cw 9 rb @ 1000mA & 2 uv @ 700mA

coolwaters

coolwaters

STiLl N0ob

• Members
  • 3,893 posts
  • Joined 11 Apr 2007
  • Milpitas, CA
wow at 1Amp on each? might not last as long as specs says be still a lot longer then those MH bulbs.
also below 80F is ideal...but if its a hot day its really hard. if u cant detect any heat with your fingers then your good.
Posted Image
FFFuuuunnnnkkk O.o

MGDMIRAGE

MGDMIRAGE

Land Loather

• Members
  • 3,121 posts
  • Joined 19 Feb 2009
  • Spokane, Washington
First lemme say that i love your avatar, and the thought of it is very tempting at times(hides from wife). Second I love your flagstone, i think it's an excellent growing platform for zoanthids! And i used to live in Vegas, go to Fry's Electronics for me /cry. Sadly that is the thing i miss most about living there hehe.

And my first child was made in Vegas so not everything in Vegas stays in Vegas :D

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

First lemme say that i love your avatar, and the thought of it is very tempting at times(hides from wife). Second I love your flagstone, i think it's an excellent growing platform for zoanthids! And i used to live in Vegas, go to Fry's Electronics for me /cry. Sadly that is the thing i miss most about living there hehe.

And my first child was made in Vegas so not everything in Vegas stays in Vegas :D

:bowdown: :haha:
i will do that for you next time i go to Fry's( i cry too because i spend of of my money or because i cant afford the next big toy like the new LED tv's......sweeeetuh!). i'll take a pic of the big Fry's slot machine in the front. haha.
thanks also for the compliment on the avatar. i love my wife but you just can't beat great scuba gear! (as i make sure she is still sleeping)
as for living in vegas, is was only supposed to be here for a couple of years and then move back to Florida. that was 9 years ago. :lol: at least if i did ever go back to miami, i will have tiger direct close by.

wow at 1Amp on each? might not last as long as specs says be still a lot longer then those MH bulbs.
also below 80F is ideal...but if its a hot day its really hard. if u cant detect any heat with your fingers then your good.

well in the 14bc, i have 4 fans in there and it stays pretty cool to the touch
also on the 10 gal, i'm going to add 2 120mm fans to the top of the heatsink and they are only 20db ea. those 2 fans should keep things pretty cool.

mg4015

mg4015

chi town teen reefer

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Joined 02 May 2009
  • chicago
sweet tank dude! was wondering how the flagstone would turn out in terms of leaching stuff and look, but it looks great!

look at the new sony DSLR's for a good entry level camera. if you dont want DSLR, ive had good luck with samsung point and shoot.
Posted Image

mg4015

mg4015

chi town teen reefer

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Joined 02 May 2009
  • chicago
so hows the tank been? update fts?
Posted Image

deepdvnarq

deepdvnarq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 912 posts
  • Joined 07 Feb 2007
  • Las Vegas

so hows the tank been? update fts?

what's up dude! i just got my new camera today! :lol:
i went with another fujifilm camera. this is a 10MP (fuji fx-s-1500 $200) but it has a supermacro feature which lets you take macro shots upto 1 cm away. i cant wait to get home to try it out. the tank has been okay and i have added some acans and a birdsnest to it since then but the galaxea is slowly bitting the dust. i probably dont feed enough. i dipped it in iodine and nothing. but i will take new FTS as soon as possible with new macro shots of the other corals now that i got a decent camera. i looked into the dslr's and couldn't justify the cost for those. plus i cant afford one at this time.
thanks for checking in. how's your going?!

opy01

opy01

• Members
  • 2,865 posts
  • Joined 21 May 2009
  • Fort Worth, Tx
We better see pics today or else! :lol: Congrats on the new camera. It's not an SLR but it's better than a camera phone lol.

Edited by opy01, 22 September 2009 - 06:48 AM.

Posted Image