Top Shelf Aquatics

CruiZe's 15 gallon nano !

cruiZe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came home tonight, turned off the pumps, turned the daylights on to do some feeding/ cleaning... everything is going fine until i notice...

post-45639-1261883839_thumb.jpg

my tank is filling with...

post-45639-1261883866_thumb.jpg

swarming pods? no, these are different, and LOTS more

post-45639-1261883939_thumb.jpg

CRAZY

post-45639-1261883925_thumb.jpg

Notice the prego cleaner shrimp is no longer prego, and picking at her legs...

post-45639-1261883899_thumb.jpg

ClownA is happily STUFFING him/herself !

post-45639-1261883953_thumb.jpg

I turkey baster'ed a few hundred of them into the fuge... and to think the other shrimp's belly is packed with eggs too...

I turkey baster'ed a few hundred of them into the fuge... and to think the other shrimp's belly is packed with eggs too...

thats awesome! how many typically survive? and was it your plan to breed these?

thats awesome! how many typically survive? and was it your plan to breed these?

I didn't mean to do anything ! :o there are about 50 larger shrimpy looking pods that have been around for about a month, good pic above, not sure if they are from the cleaner shrimp or not, but i've never seen a mass- release like this, the tank is totally clouded with babies !

no idea what I'm doing, but I've read that shrimp fry are very hard to keep alive, but I figured they'd have a better chance in the fuge. Turned off the HOB filter, and one of the K1's... with one K1 on and the fuge flow, they're still gettin blown around a lot. This is why I love my reef, never know what you're going to see when you look at it !

I didn't mean to do anything ! :o there are about 50 larger shrimpy looking pods that have been around for about a month, good pic above, not sure if they are from the cleaner shrimp or not, but i've never seen a mass- release like this, the tank is totally clouded with babies !

no idea what I'm doing, but I've read that shrimp fry are very hard to keep alive, but I figured they'd have a better chance in the fuge. Turned off the HOB filter, and one of the K1's... with one K1 on and the fuge flow, they're still gettin blown around a lot. This is why I love my reef, never know what you're going to see when you look at it !

I hear you man its so addicting! just today I got the crazy look from my wife when I yell YES, I have a feather Duster!!!

\Happy New Year

• 4 weeks later...

Being gone for over 2 weeks was pretty scary, I half expected to return to a cesspool of a reef or that the organisms would band together and somehow take over my cat, or that the tank would just explode.

But luckily my mother in law did a great job feeding the tank only a tiny bit twice a week and the growth we returned to was amazing ! The frogspawn is HUGE, the polyps went crazy (23 when we left, over 34 now) and one of the mushrooms split. Also the kenya tree dropped a branch.

post-45639-1264298358_thumb.jpg

If you want your corals to grow like crazy, ignore them !! no target feedings plus i cut the photo cycle back a few hours cuz I thought it would help control algae.

So now that we're back from our honeymoon of course the tank needed some new friends ! another occelaris and 2 more peppermints (again)

post-45639-1264298477_thumb.jpg

Clown A finally gets another mate ! (clownB,C and D didn't make it very far)

post-45639-1264298490_thumb.jpg

Meet Clown E, hopefully he sticks around, and we've had big girl A for 3 months today!

A is on the left in both pics, E is a bit more yellow, but their markings match well.

And here is a picture of the happily married couple, hope you enjoy.

post-45639-1264298507_thumb.jpg

Here are some better (daytime) pics of the clowns

post-45639-1264546229_thumb.jpg

ClownA our 3 month big girl

post-45639-1264546242_thumb.jpg

ClownE the new boy!

And a new FTS, the shot glass is holding 2 dropped kenya branches, waiting for them to attach to some rubble.

post-45639-1264546219_thumb.jpg

Wow dude everything is looking really good. I dont know why I havent checked your thread for so long but I will definitely be keeping a closer eye on it!

I'm really diggin those zoas you have in the middle of the tank. Bluish center with the green skirts! looks sweet.

I love the peninsula tank.

Got a few new things yesterday...

Valentines Day present for the wife... Candy Cane

and an Emerald crab, I'll be keeping my eye on him..

post-45639-1264971670_thumb.jpg

11 polyp Xenia frag on a shell

post-45639-1264971711_thumb.jpg

Side question... the smaller (newer) clown has developed some black coloring in the last few days, but is still very active. is he sick or is this just part of becoming a man? Haha, the big girl picks on him a little and hogs ALL the food.

post-45639-1264972094_thumb.jpg

Look at this pic, vs the one higher on this page... Thanks !

I dont think that looks very healthy cruize :(

My clown gets black spots on him but usually near the dorsal fin. I believe these are stings from the frogspawn because they go away after a few days.

Pic for reference of ok spots:

2r572hg.jpg

• 1 month later...

So cute ! They let me pet them :lol:

post-45639-1269807172_thumb.jpg

Emeral about to give the shrimp a well deserved beat-down...

post-45639-1269807210_thumb.jpg

Pretty proud of this Nitrate reading...

post-45639-1269807347_thumb.jpg

And a new FTS B)

post-45639-1269807490_thumb.jpg

So cute ! They let me pet them :lol:

post-45639-1269807172_thumb.jpg

Emeral about to give the shrimp a well deserved beat-down...

post-45639-1269807210_thumb.jpg

Pretty proud of this Nitrate reading...

post-45639-1269807347_thumb.jpg

And a new FTS B)

post-45639-1269807490_thumb.jpg

Great looking tank! I think you need something ORANGE to pop the colors a bit. Maybe a monti frag or orange yuma?

ya i really like the red/orangish ric, I want to get more color into the tank, thanks for the suggestion. My camera does no justice to how the tank really looks, esp with actinic only on (but U guys know about that)

• 2 weeks later...
northstar1357
Side question... the smaller (newer) clown has developed some black coloring in the last few days, but is still very active. is he sick or is this just part of becoming a man? Haha, the big girl picks on him a little and hogs ALL the food.

post-45639-1264972094_thumb.jpg

Look at this pic, vs the one higher on this page... Thanks !

My percula also has those black spots all over her body, but mine is a percula so it could just be color thing. nice tank btw.

How long did it take you to de-rimmed the tank?

My percula also has those black spots all over her body, but mine is a percula so it could just be color thing. nice tank btw.

How long did it take you to de-rimmed the tank?

The little clown is looking better, he still gets stung a lot tho.

Taking the rim off wasn't too difficult, but kindof a PITA. About an hour, maybe a bit more to clean it up. I did scratch the glass a bit with the rasor blade (not being careful)

Then I used some fresh silicone to re-do the top inch of vertical seam, as you have to cut the silicone attaching the rim

A local reefer was selling some zoa frags so I jumped on 2 of them...

They were kinda expensive (for me) but should grow out to be nice, really different than typical stuff I see at my LFS.

12p Tiger Tail Zoa Frag

post-45639-1271034029_thumb.jpg

6p Joker Zoa Frag

post-45639-1271034120_thumb.jpg

I made an impromptu frag rack out of a piece of acrylic I had, and have my mag float holding it up. These things seem to be fine with the light. Any suggestions to make them grow out faster? I'm feeding reefcleaners filter feeder formula about every other day.

• 2 weeks later...

new peppermint shrimp looking for aiptasia near the kenya

post-45639-1272207975_thumb.jpg

he sleeps in the return pipe from the fuge (how do you like that flow? 80gph lol)

post-45639-1272207985_thumb.jpg

fuge is getting REALLY full

post-45639-1272208066_thumb.jpg

Candy Cane going crazy

post-45639-1272208081_thumb.jpg

Amazing how a long worm can hide un noticed in sand and rockwork

Ive got one of those red moon lights that i turn on at night. All the long worms come out and i pick them out and toss them in my refugium cuz im concerned for my clam. heh

Got my RODI setup from the BRS Group buy ! (thank you jm82792 for organizing)

post-45639-1272819707_thumb.jpg

All setup in the basement. With the 3gal reservoir I have fresh cold RO to drink from the fridge !

Notice this is the 'IN' side of the DI... 3tds from the RO, ZERO after the DI... I'm so happy, i've never seen 000 before on my tds meter :o

post-45639-1272819720_thumb.jpg

Archived