• 1 blue damsel
  • 4 pajama cardinals
  • 1 royal gramma
  • 1 6 line wrasse (will be added LAST)

Option 3:

• 2 ocellaris clownfish
  • 3 yellowtail damsels
  • 1 watchman goby
  • 2 pearly jawfish (probably will get a mated pair from sealifeinc.net)
  • royal gramma

I have setup a poll to get an overall idea of what will win for my schools voting. Maybe I'll use this as a tiebreaker if it comes to that.

---Original Post---

A few hours ago, I heard from the head of my school's science department. She said that she would love for me to setup and maintain a reef for my high school. She said she got a grant of $1500 from the headmaster to start off with, and later getting another for livestock and corals. I would like to know if this equipment list would suffice for a mixed reef containing softies, LPS, and easier SPS towards the top:

• Oak 55 gallon ensemble, $500
  • AquaC Remora with Pre-Skimmer, $200
  • Theo 300 watt heater, $30
  • Nova Extreme SLR 4 bulb fixture, $250
  • Aquaclear 70 modded into a fuge, $70 (with steviet sub. light)
  • 2 Koralia 3s, $80
  • Reef Crystals salt mix, $60
  • API tap water di filter with extra cartridge, $65
  • Accessories, $65

Making the equipment total $1320

Then I would buy the following livestock:

• 50# fiji live rock, $150
  • 60# live sand, $65
  • 25 astraea snails, $50
  • 15 nassarius snails, $45
  • 10 scarlet hermits, $20
  • 2 cleaner shrimp, $30
  • 1 hippo tang, $30
  • 2 clownfish, $30
  • 3 cardinals, $45
  • 1 dwarf angel, $35

Making the livestock total $500

I can get some corals from a local reefer for free. Pretty much leathers, mushrooms, and a few easy sps. I would like to get some euphyllids and some other easier corals from the lfs

What do you all think? I should have this up by late september

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet! Wish they did something like this when I was in HS! GL!

Agreed... I also wish that I would have been even remotely interested in something like this in high school!!! -_-

Should be fun to see what you do with it!

B)

Falcon_Punch
Agreed... I also wish that I would have been even remotely interested in something like this in high school!!! -_-

Should be fun to see what you do with it!

B)

Me too,I was into BMX and such

• 2 weeks later...
Militant Jurist
Lighting question:

What would be better, 4 HO T5 with individual reflectors or 3 VHO with a flat reflector?

Thanks

I would imagine that the 4 T5HO with individuals would be better than the VHO with flat. I've seen it said many times that the reflectors make or break a fixture, and flat reflectors suck! Plus, I think you've got much better bulb choices with T5HO. I run 4 T5HO bulbs over my 20L, and I think I can keep just about any coral with that amount of light.

I would suggest upgrading the bulbs from the start, instead of using the stock bulbs. To help keep you on budget, I'd suggest dropping down to about 15 lbs of live rock, and get the remaining 35 or so lbs as dry rock. This way, you'll save quite a bit of cash, and it would allow students to see the process of how live rock becomes "alive."

The same is true for the sand. You really don't need both live rock AND live sand in large quantities. Live rock can make dry sand become live sand. Also, if you could get a cup of established sand from a local reefer, that would also help with making dry sand come to life! My current 20L tank (before my 10 gallon livestock went into it) was completely cycled with just a few pounds of live rock, and the rest was dry rock. I used dry sand.primarily, and seeded it with a cup of sand from my 10 gallon.

This sounds like a great project!

I would imagine that the 4 T5HO with individuals would be better than the VHO with flat. I've seen it said many times that the reflectors make or break a fixture, and flat reflectors suck! Plus, I think you've got much better bulb choices with T5HO. I run 4 T5HO bulbs over my 20L, and I think I can keep just about any coral with that amount of light.

I would suggest upgrading the bulbs from the start, instead of using the stock bulbs. To help keep you on budget, I'd suggest dropping down to about 15 lbs of live rock, and get the remaining 35 or so lbs as dry rock. This way, you'll save quite a bit of cash, and it would allow students to see the process of how live rock becomes "alive."

The same is true for the sand. You really don't need both live rock AND live sand in large quantities. Live rock can make dry sand become live sand. Also, if you could get a cup of established sand from a local reefer, that would also help with making dry sand come to life! My current 20L tank (before my 10 gallon livestock went into it) was completely cycled with just a few pounds of live rock, and the rest was dry rock. I used dry sand.primarily, and seeded it with a cup of sand from my 10 gallon.

This sounds like a great project!

Cool thanks! I am probably gonna buy two coralvue t5 retros. They come with stock bulbs. I think I will upgrade the lights when I get more difficult corals, like lps. I will probably have just softies for the first few months.

I was thinking of getting southdown aragonite sand from homedepot to save some money. Also, I might buy some dry rock from BRS.com.

HammyDavisJr
Cool thanks! I am probably gonna buy two coralvue t5 retros. They come with stock bulbs. I think I will upgrade the lights when I get more difficult corals, like lps. I will probably have just softies for the first few months.

I was thinking of getting southdown aragonite sand from homedepot to save some money. Also, I might buy some dry rock from BRS.com.

Make sure they add "on-going" costs into their yearly budget to replace bulbs/equipment/chemicals, etc.

Make sure they add "on-going" costs into their yearly budget to replace bulbs/equipment/chemicals, etc.

I have informed the school about the on going cost of water filters, salt, light bulbs, etc. The $1500 is just for dry stock.

I wish my HS would do this...you are very lucky :)

Thanks! It was the librarian's idea after she saw my pico at school.

Awesome! I wish there would have been something like this at my high school too.

As far as your equipment goes, I'm no expert on big tanks, but I have an AquaC remora on my 30 gallon and I don't think it's powerful enough to handle a 55 gallon. (anybody use this skimmer on their 55?)

Also, I would bet that you could find a 55 gallon with stand and canopy for less than $500 used. Try craigslist in your area. This would give you some extra cash to put toward a better RO/DI filter

I'm not sure that the API water filters are known for their quality and you might end up spending more in the long run to replace the cartridges with as much water as you'll be making. You could get a much better one in the $120-$140 range.

Don't most high schools have a distilled water tap in their science rooms? Would there be anything wrong with using that water? Maybe someone can chime in.

Good luck with the project! What a great thing for a school to have! Now you have to start a club for kids who want to learn how to maintain it.

Awesome! I wish there would have been something like this at my high school too.

Thanks!

As far as your equipment goes, I'm no expert on big tanks, but I have an AquaC remora on my 30 gallon and I don't think it's powerful enough to handle a 55 gallon. (anybody use this skimmer on their 55?)

I think Kraylen has this skimmer. Lemme check

Also, I would bet that you could find a 55 gallon with stand and canopy for less than $500 used. Try craigslist in your area. This would give you some extra cash to put toward a better RO/DI filter

$500 is the max price. I know an lfs owner, so I am gonna see if she can give me a good deal.

I'm not sure that the API water filters are known for their quality and you might end up spending more in the long run to replace the cartridges with as much water as you'll be making. You could get a much better one in the $120-$140 range.

Don't most high schools have a distilled water tap in their science rooms? Would there be anything wrong with using that water? Maybe someone can chime in.

I am sadly going back to school next Wednesday, so I will see if they have ro/di water.

Good luck with the project! What a great thing for a school to have! Now you have to start a club for kids who want to learn how to maintain it.

That is the projected plan! I don't want this tank to look like crap after I leave in three years. Spreading the hobby, one high schooler at a time.

Mini update:

The school has decided to move the aquarium to a more secure area. They were concerned that students would open it and add various substances to the aquarium. I have yet to see this area. I am going to need to remeasure the area so I may get a bigger/smaller tank.

I am thinking of changing my stocking plans a bit. I have decided to not get a tang and dwarf angel. Instead, I want to get a trio of blue chromis and one more small curious fish. Reccomendations please. Thanks

New stocking list:

3 zebra barred dartfish, $45

2 Clarkii Clown, $40

1 tailspot blenny, $25

1 Coral Beauty angel, $25

I am going to school tomorrow, so expect a big update soon!

Micro update:

I finished talking to the asistant headmaster yesterday. He showed me where the aquarium will be going; it will be in a secure area behind a glass wall. I will take pictures later. Also, they are getting an electrician to install two outlts on each side, so i can pick. Also, I have decided to buy a 36" aquarium instead, because it would be much easier to aquascape. I am deciding between a 40 breeder and a 50 gallon. The only difference is the 50 is 3 inches taller. I will post pictures later today if I am not too busy.

I was too busy with homework to take pictures. Sorry! Anyways, I am thinking of changing my plan from one 50 gallon to two 20 highs. The reason is that the room is very symmetrical, and I don't want to skew the design with a big reef tank. I am going to present this idea on monday, and I will try to post the results. I sorta hope they accept the idea, because I really like 20 highs, and there are some really cool ones on the site

Just wanted to recommend Ordering your CUC from reefcleaners.org. I bet john can do a HELL of a lot better deal than the prices you have listed. SeriOusly. Hit him up. Hes a sponsor of this site. PM johnmaloney. He'll hook u up.

I would go with the 40b if at all possible the whole experience will be far easier and you be able to have more a of "reef" look that the students can relate to, the maintenance will be much easier because you will only have one tank to deal with not two, two tanks doesn't seem like much but with one problem in one tank and another tank with different problems can really be stressful and costly at the same time, i just recently put the contents of my 20h in to my 40b and its the best thing i could have done its just well i don't know how to describe it but you will always want more room in this hobby and thats just the way it is.

*also get a screen top made for your tank and purchase a Blue Spotted Jaw-fish the students would go nuts over its personality. P.S. i just graduated 3 years ago and didn't even know this hobby existed but man i would have loved one of these in school, i would have asked to do the maintenance and stuff if we did.

I would go with the 40b if at all possible the whole experience will be far easier and you be able to have more a of "reef" look that the students can relate to, the maintenance will be much easier because you will only have one tank to deal with not two, two tanks doesn't seem like much but with one problem in one tank and another tank with different problems can really be stressful and costly at the same time, i just recently put the contents of my 20h in to my 40b and its the best thing i could have done its just well i don't know how to describe it but you will always want more room in this hobby and thats just the way it is.

*also get a screen top made for your tank and purchase a Blue Spotted Jaw-fish the students would go nuts over its personality. P.S. i just graduated 3 years ago and didn't even know this hobby existed but man i would have loved one of these in school, i would have asked to do the maintenance and stuff if we did.

Thanks! I will have to take pictures of the area on Monday. I too would love a nice 40 breeder or something like that, but it all depends on what the school thinks. Also I don't think 40 breeders come in an oak trim...

Archived